Fixing my Filco Majestouch-2 TKL

reapsen

06 Mar 2021, 14:26

My Filco Majestouch-2 started malfunctioning a few weeks ago. First it was only the "e" key that randomly would not register a keypress (maybe every 10th press), then other keys showed up with the same problem.
Over time it became worse and worse and right now i have to press "e" at least 10 times for it to register once. Any tips on how to fix this? Love my filco :(

Muirium
µ

06 Mar 2021, 16:03

Sounds like the controller is dying. Good news: Filco MJ2 controllers are on a daughter card. You can pull it out.

In fact, what I’d do is open up the board and reinsert that controller, to see if it’s just seated wrong. Could be as simple as that.

Years ago, there was a cool aftermarket replacement controller available. There may still be. Cool because programmable…

reapsen

06 Mar 2021, 16:38

Thanks so much for the advice so far!

Some more Details on the errorous behavior: If i tap the button really fast, the keypresses are eventually coming through, but if i hold the keys down it seems to continually write 'eeeee's.
Furthermore the behavior is: Once the "e" and "f" keys have been pressed a few dozen times it seems to get better, i.e. the unregistered keypresses get less sometimes even to the point it seems to be going back to normal, if that is understandable.

My first attempt will be trying to blow compressed air from a can into the switches, secondly i will open the case and see if everything is fine in there.

Muirium
µ

06 Mar 2021, 21:43

Clean if you like. It’s a fine idea in itself. But multiple switches aren’t likely to fail in parallel so fast. Sounds much more like the controller to me.

Return to “Workshop”