Northgate OmniKey/Plus Rattle

SteveN

26 Mar 2021, 04:54

Hi Guys,

I've got a well used OmniKey/Plus that over the last few months has developed a sort of rattle. I've vacuumed the keyboard once a month for years, so I don't think this is a dirt issue, but have a keycap puller in the mail and I'll pull a few and see shortly.

The thing is, the rattle doesn't seem to be coming from any one key, and I can make it rattle by banging on the desk. I've had the cover off recently, and nothing could be seen from a visual inspection. It's a small thing, but rather annoying.

Anyone else experienced something similar?

ZedTheMan

26 Mar 2021, 14:25

Alps wire stabilizers can be rattly, have you tried giving them a heavy lubrication, like damping grease for example?

TNT

26 Mar 2021, 17:17

Have no experience with rattle on mine, but why not take it apart and take a look inside? Maybe you just need to retighten some screws. Don't really know how they could have gotten loose in the first place, but you never know... The ones that fix the plate assembly or the lower pcb to the backplate maybe. Or yeah, could be a loose stabilizer wire.

TNT

31 Mar 2021, 13:58

How did it go? Were you able to fix the rattle?

SteveN

31 Mar 2021, 15:10

I haven't had the time to look yet. I did have the cover off recently and didn't see anything, and now that I've repositioned the keyboard on a keyboard tray it's gone away, so I'm going to monitor and see how it goes.

Return to “Workshop”