Need help sourcing keycaps for F AT ANSI mod

Rayndalf

29 Mar 2021, 04:28

I've been meaning to pickup an F AT and I finally found one I could afford. $240 shipped and missing the spacebar. Because of that I think it's an excellent candidate for an ANSI and 7u spacebar mod. The numpad + has already been replaced with Enter, so I think it's meant to be.

What is the best way (I don't want to torch a complete M) to get the following keys?
  • 2u backspace
    1.5u backslash
    2.25 enter

2 * 1.5u Ctrl
    2 * 1.5u Alt
    7u Spacebar
    2u +
    1u *
    1u /
From what I understand the F keycaps are one piece while M keycaps are 2 piece, so should I order a complete set from modelfkeyboards and wait or should I scavenge instead? If anyone has a couple F barrels + flippers and any keycaps they're looking to sell let me know. What have other people's experiences with modding F ATs been?
Attachments
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg (214.04 KiB) Viewed 2785 times

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

29 Mar 2021, 04:55

Two piece M key caps will work on this board just fine.

I believe I have all of the keys you seek, send me a PM. You can get barrels and flippers from modelfkeyboards.com.

Muirium
µ

29 Mar 2021, 11:37

They'll work fine but they'll be a bit taller, and look a bit different. Depends where you stand on the price vs. perfectionism scale!

Great find for an ANSI mod, though. I'd absolutely do that in your position, too. My AT's remaining flaw is that over-long spacebar. I actually love the heavy weight, but my thumbs are forever reaching for those phantom mods!

Rayndalf

30 Mar 2021, 01:40

Muirium wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 11:37
They'll work fine but they'll be a bit taller, and look a bit different. Depends where you stand on the price vs. perfectionism scale!

Great find for an ANSI mod, though. I'd absolutely do that in your position, too. My AT's remaining flaw is that over-long spacebar. I actually love the heavy weight, but my thumbs are forever reaching for those phantom mods!
Good to know. I guess I'll get some readily available caps now, and if the height difference bothers me I can swap the keycaps with a complete new production set once the backlog has cleared.

I really like the feel of the XT I tried, but the layout is hard to adjust to so I'm looking forwared to having an F I can really use.

ddrfraser1

30 Mar 2021, 02:34

In that case you need to get an F122 or an F 107! Both worth it 😁

E TwentyNine

30 Mar 2021, 02:45

I've mixed 1 and 2 piece caps on the same board. I'd be surprised if you notice a difference.

ddrfraser1

30 Mar 2021, 02:55

If you look closely you can see slight differences in the thickness of the font... but only if you look closely.

Rayndalf

30 Mar 2021, 03:42

ddrfraser1 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 02:34
In that case you need to get an F122 or an F 107! Both worth it 😁
I mean if I had the money I'd have a F104 Unsaver, but...
Maybe after I get all my buckling spring boards cleaned up I can put them towards something really special.
E TwentyNine wrote:
I've mixed 1 and 2 piece caps on the same board. I'd be surprised if you notice a difference.
I'm honestly not the most discerning, so that's good to hear.

Muirium
µ

30 Mar 2021, 10:39

Rayndalf wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 03:42
E TwentyNine wrote:
I'm honestly not the most discerning, so that's good to hear.
This particular princess feels that pea, every time! It'd be easier if I didn't. :lol:

The height difference is pretty minor, but not so small I can't tell even just from my fingers, let alone close inspection. The print difference—some of my 2-piece caps are stinky previous decade Unicomps—is night and day. Whatever you do: keep them off the homerow, and maybe try a blindfold.

Got to say the AT is one of the best Fs. I really like mine. It's no Kishsaver, but it has a whole personality all its own, quite without the demented jumble of the XT!

ddrfraser1

30 Mar 2021, 10:51

Muirium wrote:
This particular princess feels that pea, every time! It'd be easier if I didn't. :lol:
Not me. Lol. I’ve had to make a habit of looking the other way do to a lot of my boards having minor imperfections here and there, unfortunately often inflicted by me somewhere in the modding process :roll:
Muirium wrote:
The height difference is pretty minor, but not so small I can't tell even just from my fingers, let alone close inspection. The print difference—some of my 2-piece caps are stinky previous decade Unicomps...
Strangely, I have never had either of these issues. I guess not all model F caps are created equal? And I think I just got lucky with my unicomp caps or maybe it’s the fact that I just don’t look that closely! :lol: I’m telling you, ignorance is bliss :D

MrsXMIT

31 Mar 2021, 21:43

So like XMIT said we probably have all the keycaps you need. I'm in the processing of sorting out what we've got so I can set them aside for you as I find them. To verify though, since I have a lot of variations of keycaps, would you prefer solid one-piece keycaps or two-part ones? For the ones bigger than 1u I tend to have both types, though again I'm still sorting and cataloging. And I'm assuming you're looking for flat, not stepped Ctrl and Alt?

Muirium
µ

31 Mar 2021, 22:07

If you’ve got a nicely printed original ANSI Enter (Return) key, bear me in mind. I’ll be back to America someday!

If I’ve ever the nerve to drill my (perfectly nice) AT for an ANSI mod, I’ll need two 1.5u single piece modifiers too. Let me check…

Rayndalf

02 Apr 2021, 07:11

MrsXMIT wrote:
So like XMIT said we probably have all the keycaps you need. I'm in the processing of sorting out what we've got so I can set them aside for you as I find them. To verify though, since I have a lot of variations of keycaps, would you prefer solid one-piece keycaps or two-part ones? For the ones bigger than 1u I tend to have both types, though again I'm still sorting and cataloging. And I'm assuming you're looking for flat, not stepped Ctrl and Alt?
Thanks for responding, I was a little worried my message had gotten lost (it's hard to see what messages have been sent but not yet replied to).

I would prefer 1 piece caps when possible, but either flat or stepped Ctrl and Alt would work. The flat ones look more modern, but if I use stepped ones they will match the stepped ones that are already on the board and better reflect it's original appearance.

I'm a little worried the board I receive will have a few caps damaged in transit that I may have to replace as well, so I won't know exactly what I need until I know what survived the trip from Cairo.

Do 1U numberpad plus, minus, / and * exist? My numberpad plans depend a lot on what actually exists :lol:

MrsXMIT

10 Apr 2021, 19:10

Rayndalf wrote:
02 Apr 2021, 07:11
MrsXMIT wrote:
Thanks for responding, I was a little worried my message had gotten lost (it's hard to see what messages have been sent but not yet replied to).

I would prefer 1 piece caps when possible, but either flat or stepped Ctrl and Alt would work. The flat ones look more modern, but if I use stepped ones they will match the stepped ones that are already on the board and better reflect it's original appearance.

I'm a little worried the board I receive will have a few caps damaged in transit that I may have to replace as well, so I won't know exactly what I need until I know what survived the trip from Cairo.

Do 1U numberpad plus, minus, / and * exist? My numberpad plans depend a lot on what actually exists :lol:
I'm sorry, I accidentally ghosted you again. It's been a crazy week! Sending you a PM.

Rayndalf

13 Apr 2021, 11:44

MrsXMIT wrote:
10 Apr 2021, 19:10
I'm sorry, I accidentally ghosted you again. It's been a crazy week! Sending you a PM.
Thanks for getting back to me. I haven't managed to get all the keycaps removed yet, so I'm still not sure exactly what I'll need.

I have a few different layouts I'm considering, but I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Return to “Workshop”