QMK ADB-USB Converter

raoulduke-esq

12 Apr 2021, 19:59

This is driving me nuts...

I've been trying to build a standard ADB-USB converter using QMK and a Pro Micro.

Started out using the standard layout from QMK Configurator and an S-Video cable I cut in half and soldered to the Pro Micro. Didn't get any lights on the keyboard or any functionality. Added an additional pull-up resistor between PD0 (Pin 3) and VCC. No luck. Tried using an S-Video socket wired to the Pro Micro and a proper ADB cable between the board and the converter. I get keyboard lights blinking on startup but then no keystrokes.

Tried using a manual QMK build with the console enabled. This yields "adb_host_kbd_recv: ERROR(-30)" over and over again in the console. This happens whether the keyboard is connected or not.

Keyboard and cables are known working (with Drakware).

Never had this happen when making a standard QMK converter... Any suggestions?
Last edited by raoulduke-esq on 12 Apr 2021, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

12 Apr 2021, 20:01

Try a sanity / hardware check by loading Hasu’s TMK ADB converter firmware on it.

raoulduke-esq

12 Apr 2021, 20:42

Muirium wrote:
12 Apr 2021, 20:01
Try a sanity / hardware check by loading Hasu’s TMK ADB converter firmware on it.
I feel less sane, but at least I got some better output... This is with no wires connected to the pro micro.
Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 2.38.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 2.38.35 PM.png (230.64 KiB) Viewed 2188 times

Muirium
µ

12 Apr 2021, 20:59

Need to hook up those wirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr…

raoulduke-esq

12 Apr 2021, 21:09

Should have mentioned I started with everything hooked up; same rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrresult.

Muirium
µ

12 Apr 2021, 21:10

Bummerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Got another Teensy you can try? And are you using resistors for pull-up? If so, maybe they’re the wrong numberrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

raoulduke-esq

12 Apr 2021, 22:47

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrright?

Doing a Pro Micro- gotta spend $5 on the 3-4 pin jobs instead of $20. I tried a different Pro Micro and added an external 1k pull-up (which I pretty much never have to do with a Pro Micro but I figured why the hell not) and everything seems to be fine both with TMK and QMK. Will throw the other controller in my "highly suspect" pile and see if it's good for anything else later.

Thanks for helping with the troubleshooting! I was too frustrated to consider such a simple fix.

Muirium
µ

13 Apr 2021, 00:14

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrresult!

Simple is always good. And yes, I call Arduino Pro Micro Leonardo di Caprio and 100% compatibles “Teensies” because their name is cuter. And I like the reset button.

The first (and only) Pro Micro I ever used went and burnt out when I put it in my IBM AT. It was working for a while, but the beast gonna beast. A Teensy did the trick instead, then I ultimately went for an Xwhatsit controller instead and eventually onto Pandrew’s firmware because I’m fancy.

So, uh, simple!

raoulduke-esq

13 Apr 2021, 04:02

I tried taking the dubious Pro Micro and adding the external 1k pull-up and then everything worked fine on it as well. Seems this is the one case I've encountered where a pull-up is absolutely required. Hope this helps someone in the future!

The reset button on Teensy is a great feature. I'm out here with a bent paperclip for my initial flash, then I always build a reset button into the layout. Shame your F AT ate your Pro Micro! I've had pretty good luck with them on Pingmaster, M122, Compact Beamspring Controller, a Dactyl Manuform, a iie numpad, some other handwire jobs, and some "customs" with PCB made for the Pro Micro. However, I have learned to test them first after soldering a DOA one onto a PCB. Seems like 1 in 20 comes DOA. Teensy has better quality to be sure.

Firmware and converters are fun to me. I enjoy being able to keep the boards as stock as possible and fashion controllers that connect to the original cord, or at least make reversible changes as with the beamspring controller. I'm big on QMK so I was super glad when pandrew came out with his QMK firmware for the New Model F and the beamsprings!! That xwhatsit tool does not work well on macOS- it would only open 1 out of like 30 tries and it couldn't do all of the cool things I'm used to in QMK.

Muirium
µ

13 Apr 2021, 10:05

Pandrew saved Xwhatsit’s hardware. The app doesn’t run at all on Big Sur. Abandonware isn’t something you can rely on.

Mind, I do miss Xwhatsit’s excellent macro programming right from the GUI. QMK inherits TMK’s disinterest in supporting macros anywhere other than in source code at compile time.

Return to “Workshop”