Will Foam fit in a Packard Bell 5131C?

Spockmaster

25 Apr 2021, 01:13

I have one of these and would potentially like to use it in an office environment, does anyone know if foam will fit on the inside of the metal backplate for sound dampening? I'm not sure how much space is in there between the backplate and PCB, and im not sure how to find out since that seems difficult to measure. Thanks!

micmil

25 Apr 2021, 05:15

How in the hell is that not quiet enough for an office?

To answer the question, yes. I'm sure you can find something thin enough to make it work. Maybe a thin mousepad? I don't know how much it would dampen the sound though. At least on my 5130's the bulk of the noise is actually from the slider slapping on the plastic housing on the way back up. You MAY be able to dampen that with some o-rings.

Which I now kind of have to try just to make sure... BRB in three or four weeks when I get around to it. :lol:

Muirium
µ

25 Apr 2021, 09:21

micmil wrote:
25 Apr 2021, 05:15
At least on my 5130's the bulk of the noise is actually from the slider slapping on the plastic housing on the way back up. You MAY be able to dampen that with some o-rings.
What you’re describing is the damping technique used on Topre Type-S. The damping rings need to be *between* the two colliding bits of plastic. When you put very thin foam in there, it works wonders. I love Type-S, and modded my stock Realforce to the same feel with hypersphere’s rings. Recommended.

Hypersphere ring installed on a NovaTouch slider.

Meanwhile, some sound damping material in the base of the keyboard case always helps. Reverb is real, too.

micmil

25 Apr 2021, 15:54

Yep. My Abko K935 is factory silenced as well. That would go a long way towards taking what little noise is in the 5130's away.

Spockmaster

25 Apr 2021, 18:27

It might actually be quiet enough for an office especially since I put thicker PBT keycaps on it vs the stock thin ABS ones, but the only tester I have available is my wife who haaaaates keyboard sounds.

I might think about the o-rings, though that would be time consuming since I'd have to completely disassemble it. I'll get some foam at least to try to cut down on the internal reverb.

Thanks!

Return to “Workshop”