Basic Soarer's configuration for IBM Model M122

micmil

25 Apr 2021, 05:26

When I was first debating whether or not to get this keyboard I ran across a handful of Soarer's configurations here and elsewhere that gave a bit of a slanted idea of what configuring a Soarer's Converter is like. The multi-layer monstrosities made it look downright HHHhhhhhhhhhHHHHArder than it actually is.

This is the Google result I was looking for but didn't get. It's just a basic remapping of a handful of keys that may have made sense on an AS400 terminal but are out of whack for today's usage. I've also assigned a few basic commands (copy/paste, etc.) to the extra function keys.

Code: Select all

remapblock

# First, let's get the ESC off of the numpad and somewhere vaguely
	# related to where your muscle memory wants it to be.
	F13 ESC

# Numpad remapping.
	# Close to standard numpad layout. The additional key allows us
	# to add backspace to the cluster. I chose the top-right where 
	# minus typically is, and minus slides down to what is usually the
	# top half of plus. 
	ESC NUM_LOCK
	NUM_LOCK PAD_SLASH
	SCROLL_LOCK PAD_ASTERIX
	EXTRA_SYSRQ BACKSPACE
	PAD_ASTERIX PAD_MINUS
	PAD_MINUS PAD_PLUS
	PAD_PLUS PAD_ENTER

# Angle brackets to shift key. Why? Because tiny left shift
	# is the kind of thing we should not accept in advanced society.
	EUROPE_2 LSHIFT

# Curly braces to backslash and pipe. 
	EUROPE_1 BACKSLASH

endblock

macroblock

# Some basic functionality mapped to the extra keys on the left.

# Copy
	macro EXTRA_F1
		MAKE LCTRL
		PRESS C
		BREAK LCTRL
	endmacro

# Paste
	macro EXTRA_F2
		MAKE LCTRL
		PRESS V
		BREAK LCTRL
	endmacro

# Undo
	macro EXTRA_F3
		MAKE LCTRL
		PRESS Z
		BREAK LCTRL
	endmacro

# Redo
	macro EXTRA_F4
		MAKE LCTRL
		PRESS Y
		BREAK LCTRL
	endmacro

# Save
	macro EXTRA_F10
		MAKE LCTRL
		PRESS S
		BREAK LCTRL
	endmacro

endblock
Probably the most questionable thing here is moving numpad minus. I tried plus, minus, and backspace in various combinations and this one made the most sense to me. If you have really strong minus muscle memory you may need to tweak that a bit though.

Nothing complex, nothing really interesting, just basic functionality that hopefully some other poor bastard will run across one day shortly after sinking into the morass of this hobby. :D

Muirium
µ

25 Apr 2021, 09:02

micmil wrote:
25 Apr 2021, 05:26
When I was first debating whether or not to get this keyboard I ran across a handful of Soarer's configurations here and elsewhere that gave a bit of a slanted idea of what configuring a Soarer's Converter is like. The multi-layer monstrosities made it look downright HHHhhhhhhhhhHHHHArder than it actually is.
They were all mine? Bummer. ;)

micmil

25 Apr 2021, 16:04

Just a couple of them. :lol: That was in a thread specifically about layers and selects.

an_achronism

04 May 2021, 12:06

Ta for this, I'll most likely end up using this at some point, or at least starting with this as a base. I think I'll probably leave numpad - where it is on the PC Enhanced/M layout, leaving the next key down to be + and then turning the lower half of what would be the 2U tall + into an = key for spreadsheets etc. That's one of the few things I actually like about Apple keyboards (AEK etc.): having an = on the numpad makes sense to me and I really don't see the need for + to be huge (and certainly not when it's larger than -, which just seems imbalanced to me).

Return to “Workshop”