[IC] Beamspring Keycaps 1:1 Clone

ifohancroft

26 Apr 2021, 08:17

Is there still an interest in a 1:1 clone of Beamspring Keycaps?

To be fair, even though I haven't had a chance to try MT3 yet, it does satisfy all my desires in terms of looks, which was my initial reason for wanting to create a Beamspring 1:1 clone, but at this point I am going with the Beamspring clone as I have started already and I'd still like to have one, so I wanted to see if others are still interested as well.

Here's the idea:

- I'm trying to reverse engineer the keycaps of my Selectric to find out how they are made (sizes, radius, etc).
- Will possibly try to acquire more keycaps in the future if needed (I want Beamspring boards anyway, although who knows when I'll be able to afford them).
- See if there are certain features used in the different size keycaps and try to extrapolate them to create the sizes needed for ANSI/ISO boards.

The manifacturing part would be hard because of funding, but first I am trying to get over reverse engineering the keycaps and re-creating them in CAD.
The CAD files will be released under CERN's Open Hardware License (the strongly reciprocal version), regardless of whether I manage to get the set in manufacturing.

P.S. When I say Beamspring keycaps, I mean like on the IBM Selectric II and the IBM 5251 (I believe they are the same).

Muirium
µ

26 Apr 2021, 10:06

Matteo and Photekq 3D scanned a set of mine (since sold on…) for what became MT3, so there is in fact imagery out there to start from. This was a few years back and I can't remember how many keys I loaned them. Think they were understandably less interested in the stepped mods etc. given their project was to make an MX homage set rather than the real thing.

As for my own interest in what you make: perhaps. If you had some tasty 3279-inspired colours. 8-)

ifohancroft

26 Apr 2021, 10:22

Muirium wrote:
Matteo and Photekq 3D scanned a set of mine (since sold on…) for what became MT3, so there is in fact imagery out there to start from. This was a few years back and I can't remember how many keys I loaned them. Think they were understandably less interested in the stepped mods etc. given their project was to make an MX homage set rather than the real thing.

As for my own interest in what you make: perhaps. If you had some tasty 3279-inspired colours. 8-)
Thank you! I'd check with Matteo and Photekq about the scans. As for the colors - I can't see why not. I mean once a profile has been made, all colors are possible (well, technically it does depend on the printing method, but I am aiming for double shot, so yeah).

P.S. Does tagging work on here?

Muirium
µ

26 Apr 2021, 11:06

ifohancroft wrote:
Nope. PM them the good old fashioned way, by hand.

ifohancroft

26 Apr 2021, 11:26

Muirium wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 11:06
ifohancroft wrote:
Nope. PM them the good old fashioned way, by hand.
Thank you!

Weezer

26 Apr 2021, 11:35

You can sort of tag people by using quotes.

Code: Select all

[quote=weezer][/quote]
would send me a notification that would direct me to your post. But it would just say I was quoted instead of tagged
Last edited by Weezer on 26 Apr 2021, 11:37, edited 2 times in total.

ifohancroft

26 Apr 2021, 11:36

Thank you! That still works for pinging people.

Muirium
µ

26 Apr 2021, 11:41

I don’t get notifications for people quoting me. I’m guessing it’s a user account option and may well not be the default setting. Do Not Assume it works!

Weezer

26 Apr 2021, 11:44

That's true, it can be turned off. But if you want to ping or tag someone to a post that's currently the only workaround

Muirium
µ

26 Apr 2021, 12:21

As far as I remember: I've never turned it off. Is quote notification = FALSE the default or was i just grandfathered in as a greybeard? I dunno.

Also: a few things are broken here right now with the recent server move. PM notification emails for example. Kbdfr reports this is still the case, in a PM conversation with me, where I'm getting notifications 100% of the time and he's stuck on 0%, despite toggling with his settings.

Weezer

26 Apr 2021, 12:24

I made a new account to test the quote function a little bit, prior to my first post on this thread and the new account got the notifications.

photekq
Cherry Picker

27 Apr 2021, 00:46

Muirium wrote:

If yours got scanned I'm not sure what ever happened to the files. I already had my 3278, so I worked entirely off that. I never possessed or worked off any 3D scans of beamspring caps; just manual measurements of my 3278 keycaps.

We purposefully didn't want to replicate the shape of the keycaps 1:1. They are pretty bloody close in shape, but not exactly - I put my own spin on them and iterated until both matt3o and I were happy with them.

However, the profile's different; as you know, beamspring keyboards have upwards-angled stems, which influences the top profile heavily. I adapted the profile of the keycaps to give a similar top profile when mounted on an MX board with a decidedly "average" angle - I forget which angle exactly, I think it was around 5deg.

ifohancroft

27 Apr 2021, 10:13

photekq wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 00:46
Muirium wrote:

If yours got scanned I'm not sure what ever happened to the files. I already had my 3278, so I worked entirely off that. I never possessed or worked off any 3D scans of beamspring caps; just manual measurements of my 3278 keycaps.

We purposefully didn't want to replicate the shape of the keycaps 1:1. They are pretty bloody close in shape, but not exactly - I put my own spin on them and iterated until both matt3o and I were happy with them.

However, the profile's different; as you know, beamspring keyboards have upwards-angled stems, which influences the top profile heavily. I adapted the profile of the keycaps to give a similar top profile when mounted on an MX board with a decidedly "average" angle - I forget which angle exactly, I think it was around 5deg.
Thank you!

Yes, I believe the angle was 5 or 7 degrees for MT3.

Any tips on measuring Beamspring btw?

Muirium
µ

27 Apr 2021, 10:40

Matteo's the man to talk to re: the 3D scans. He had my caps for a while, and I got a sweet Elven set of MT3 as my booty! 8-)

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

27 Apr 2021, 15:16

Do you have any idea what device he used to get those 3D scans?

I've got a number of items that I'd like so scanned. Lots of interesting spherical profiles that I've gathered over the years. Now that I'm filled with rage over the going price for a Space Cadet, I'm newly motivated to 3D scan all of my Micro Switch key caps.

Muirium
µ

27 Apr 2021, 15:45

Write him a PM. You'll phrase your questions more competently than I can. ;)

PlacaFromHell

28 Apr 2021, 07:54

ifohancroft wrote:
I did a keycap family inspired in beamsprings a while ago. Although my results are not a match (neither pretend to be), there's a mayor characteristic that I must point here. The base of the keycap is absolutely normal filleted square, the TOP of the keycap is actually a squircle. If you think in the keycap top like a pseudo cylinder, it has only three faces: top, bottom and a continuous side. Tangential keycaps on the other hand, would be like cubes with rounded vertical axis corners, producing a sharp and undesired looking, just like in SA keycaps for example. Here you have some examples:

Here you can see my final result and the experiment I did before noticing this:

shine

28 Apr 2021, 11:12

Of course there is interest! I'm super interested!! :D

Actually SneakyRobb has designed a beamspring top row profile that fits perfect. I 3D print color keys for fun, i'm eager and looking forward print the other rows.

Regards! hope you succeed! count me in

ifohancroft wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 08:17
Is there still an interest in a 1:1 clone of Beamspring Keycaps?

To be fair, even though I haven't had a chance to try MT3 yet, it does satisfy all my desires in terms of looks, which was my initial reason for wanting to create a Beamspring 1:1 clone, but at this point I am going with the Beamspring clone as I have started already and I'd still like to have one, so I wanted to see if others are still interested as well.

Here's the idea:

- I'm trying to reverse engineer the keycaps of my Selectric to find out how they are made (sizes, radius, etc).
- Will possibly try to acquire more keycaps in the future if needed (I want Beamspring boards anyway, although who knows when I'll be able to afford them).
- See if there are certain features used in the different size keycaps and try to extrapolate them to create the sizes needed for ANSI/ISO boards.

The manifacturing part would be hard because of funding, but first I am trying to get over reverse engineering the keycaps and re-creating them in CAD.
The CAD files will be released under CERN's Open Hardware License (the strongly reciprocal version), regardless of whether I manage to get the set in manufacturing.

P.S. When I say Beamspring keycaps, I mean like on the IBM Selectric II and the IBM 5251 (I believe they are the same).

ifohancroft

28 Apr 2021, 13:27

shine wrote:
Of course there is interest! I'm super interested!! :D
Awesome!

Looking at my Selectric keycaps, I think Beamspring keycaps may not sit that good at a normal keyboard, however, I am still making a one on one clone profile, but besides that, I'm thinking I may also do a second profile, that just has the looks.

The 'inspired' profile, I am thinking should be 343211 (1 being the F and Number rows) like SA, where Row 4 and 2 are the same but turned 180 degrees, but with the Beamspring curves, esentially just the angles changed, so I guess it would be like SA with Beamspring curves.
shine wrote:
Actually SneakyRobb has designed a beamspring top row profile that fits perfect. I 3D print color keys for fun, i'm eager and looking forward print the other rows.
Thanks! I'll get in touch with him.
PlacaFromHell wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 07:54
ifohancroft wrote:
I did a keycap family inspired in beamsprings a while ago. Although my results are not a match (neither pretend to be), there's a mayor characteristic that I must point here. The base of the keycap is absolutely normal filleted square, the TOP of the keycap is actually a squircle. If you think in the keycap top like a pseudo cylinder, it has only three faces: top, bottom and a continuous side. Tangential keycaps on the other hand, would be like cubes with rounded vertical axis corners, producing a sharp and undesired looking, just like in SA keycaps for example. Here you have some examples:

Here you can see my final result and the experiment I did before noticing this:

So if I'm understanding this right, are you saying to create a surface or a curve that goes from a square at the bottom to a squircle at the top and wraps around?

Muirium
µ

28 Apr 2021, 16:14

Oh, Squircles, well spotted! Apple's taken a shine to them in recent years, though the irony is this MacBook Air chiclet keyboard's keys are all still just rounded squares!

Know if Topre Hi-Pro caps use something like this, too? They've always looked pleasingly elliptical to me. Especially the longer keys.

For all its strengths, MT3 doesn't quite do this:

PlacaFromHell

28 Apr 2021, 20:21

ifohancroft wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 13:27
So if I'm understanding this right, are you saying to create a surface or a curve that goes from a square at the bottom to a squircle at the top and wraps around?
If I'm understanding your question right, yes. That's the process I did with mine:
Spoiler:
Muirium wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 16:14
Know if Topre Hi-Pro caps use something like this, too? They've always looked pleasingly elliptical to me. Especially the longer keys.

For all its strengths, MT3 doesn't quite do this:
I'm unsure about both, they mostly look like not doing this, but I might be wrong. You can straight up notice this bad behavior in SA as they are aggressively squared.

ifohancroft

28 Apr 2021, 20:51

PlacaFromHell wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 20:21
If I'm understanding your question right, yes. That's the process I did with mine:
Thank you! That's exactly what I was asking.

Return to “Workshop”