Pocket USB keyboard tester

MMcM

03 May 2021, 06:51

When building a converter, I just test the USB interface on the same PC that uploads the firmware. But sometimes the converter works with several keyboards and I need to test any firmware upgrade on all of them that aren't in storage. Or an MCU moves from a breadboard to a permaproto. The soldering workstation is in another room from the desk for ventilation.

So, a couple of years ago I built this from a Raspberry Pi Zero, OLED hat, and USB hub pogo-plugged-thingy.
pi-kbd-tester-side.jpg
pi-kbd-tester-side.jpg (285.55 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
pi-kbd-tester-bottom.jpg
pi-kbd-tester-bottom.jpg (402.8 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
It displays each USB event with the current state of down keys, plus total count of pressed and unique keys, giving a quick check that everything is working. (To be more precise, that it is still working, since it isn't really suitable for actual debugging.)
pi-kbd-tester-A.jpg
pi-kbd-tester-A.jpg (201.42 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
pi-kbd-tester-PSCN.jpg
pi-kbd-tester-PSCN.jpg (210.94 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
pi-kbd-tester-KP.jpg
pi-kbd-tester-KP.jpg (193.59 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
The joystick selects modes. The key buttons turn on the three main keyboard LEDs. It also has a simple text box for a quick typing test.
pk-kbd-tester-text.jpg
pk-kbd-tester-text.jpg (213.64 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
I recently updated it to recognize CDC devices too for all the ASCII keyboards I've ended up with, which just convert to a serial port.
pi-kbd-tester-ascii.jpg
pi-kbd-tester-ascii.jpg (313.3 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
The file system is mounted read-only, so even though there's an actual shutdown command, nothing particularly bad happens should it crash or get unplugged.

Bjerrk

03 May 2021, 11:51

This is good stuff! Love it!

Muirium
µ

03 May 2021, 14:15

You could make a hell of a multi-keyboard programmable converter with all of those sockets!

Something I've been hankering after for years is a multi-function converter box I could mount under my desk. One USB port to computer, and one of each of AT, PS/2, ADB and NeXT sockets on it for simply plugging my boards as stock. That'd be so beautiful!

hellothere

06 May 2021, 18:56

Muirium wrote:
03 May 2021, 14:15
You could make a hell of a multi-keyboard programmable converter with all of those sockets!

Something I've been hankering after for years is a multi-function converter box I could mount under my desk. One USB port to computer, and one of each of AT, PS/2, ADB and NeXT sockets on it for simply plugging my boards as stock. That'd be so beautiful!
Needs a 6-pin DIN for FLS keyboards.

Return to “Workshop”