Yet Another Bolt Mod

an_achronism

30 May 2021, 16:27

fohat wrote:
30 May 2021, 16:17
Worrying about invisibly "altering" the case of a keyboard as common as a used mid-generation Model M "destructively" seems a bit fanatical to me.
Hey now. You do you. I just don't like destructive mods in general, regardless of whether you feel the item in question deserves that level of reverence or not. I don't have much money and these get more expensive every day so it's not like I can just buy another identical one for £20 if I mess something up or whatever.
fohat wrote:
(...) no one would ever know until they opened it.
I'd know. ;)
fohat wrote:
But while I admit that I have a strong "collector gene" I try to be realistic about what is collectible and what is a tool to be optimized for actual use.
I absolutely am considering this a tool for actual use. But it is *also* of some value to me because it is the first IBM I owned myself and the first one I restored from a partially non-functional condition. I want it to be as untarnished by unnecessary fiddling as possible. I could shave down the case and would do so if I thought it was actually necessary but I don't think that it is. Flipping the bolts, I think, would be sufficient to do the trick. And I don't even think that's really necessary, though it's possible that it might be a good idea.

EDIT: Example... when I mod Sega Mega Drives, I use an existing hole on the back of the chassis to mount a toggle switch in rather than doing the more common method of drilling a new hole. There is a miniscule amount of trimming required that way, and it's internal and pretty much indistinguishable even if you open the case and look directly at it, so you could reverse the change and the chassis would be indistinguishable from an unmodified one. If that existing hole didn't exist, then I too would have just drilled a hole myself, but because it isn't necessary, I don't do it. I don't mind modding stuff if there's no better (less destructive) alternative, is my point.

Return to “Workshop”