Seeking Soarer - evidence thread

vincent

01 Jun 2021, 20:24

Well, at least micmil’s comment made this whole fiasco a net win for the community.

jmaynard

01 Jun 2021, 20:26

vincent wrote:
Well, at least micmil’s comment made this whole fiasco a net win for the community.
FSVO "win".

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

01 Jun 2021, 21:16

jmaynard wrote:
vincent wrote:
FSVO
what does that even mean

jmaynard

01 Jun 2021, 21:38

Redmaus wrote:
jmaynard wrote:
vincent wrote:
FSVO
what does that even mean
"For small values of". (Or, alternately, "for some values of".)

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

01 Jun 2021, 21:54

Oh. Never heard of that before now. Interesting.

jmaynard

01 Jun 2021, 22:10

Redmaus wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 21:54
Oh. Never heard of that before now. Interesting.
Never let it be said we do not strive to educate.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

01 Jun 2021, 23:05

jmaynard wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 22:10
Never let it be said we do not strive to educate.
cringe.png
cringe.png (82.74 KiB) Viewed 6596 times

micmil

01 Jun 2021, 23:29

jmaynard wrote:
vincent wrote:
FSVO "win".
So you're saying there's a chance?

Rayndalf

01 Jun 2021, 23:44

Redmaus wrote:
jmaynard wrote:
vincent wrote:
FSVO
what does that even mean
I was going to make a joke about checking the jargon file, but this term isn't there.
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/go01.html

Edit: I mean this technically counts, but it could be expanded to include the acronym forms. http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/F/for-values-of.html

vincent

02 Jun 2021, 03:20

Not for some. For all. In mathematical notation,

v ∈ V : “win”

kbdfr
The Tiproman

03 Jun 2021, 09:47

Interesting how this thread evolved (or rather did not evolve) in the two days I was off :lol:

There's a part of one post I still would like to comment:
dkarguth wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 20:02
[…] And speaking of "ad hominem", Kbdfr quite literally did just that with his post about proper grammar. Instead of actually attempting to refute any claims made in the post, he went after the guy making the post. […]
I would urge you to read my post again, even if I know reading (and properly understanding) is not in high esteem those days, which is the reason i simply quote it in a spoiler:
Spoiler:
kbdfr wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 09:20
micmil wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 00:27
[…] Just because you're a urinedrawers miniature female dog doesn't mean everyone is.

There, I censored myself. You happy? :roll:

I communicated precisely what I intended to. Offended? Why? Because your precious little eyes don't like the word FUCK?
You missed my point with absolute precision.
I'm not offended by your use of expletives, I simply find that at the rate you use them, they are completely counterproductive for efficient communication. They affect the reading rate while conveying no other information than own your state of mind, which is already made clear by the rest, and of no value for anyone trying to know what it's about.
I don't care about your feelings, dude, I simply tried to find out what you had to say, but had to read twice as much as would have been necessary. Hence my comment.

Which leads me to the way you're characterizing me now.
Your choice of words ("miniature female dog") is an eloquent, if unintended, way of showing how you see yourself: a big male guy.
Not a surprise, after your previous post, to now learn from you you're a simple schoolyard bully.

Did I write "simple"? Yes, I did.
  • Not a single word in my post was "about proper grammar". More than cursorily reading would of course have helped, but well, there seems not to be much light in your trenches.
  • I was, as I clearly stated, "trying to know what it's about", and this is obviously a stage where one does not "attempt[…] to refute any claims", as you apparently expected from me.
  • The "ad hominem" crime you accuse me of committing was a hilarious answer to being myself characterized out of the blue as a "urinedrawers miniature female dog", which apparently (and conveniently) escaped your attention.
Schoolyards and their dynamics have obviously not changed that much :lol:

vincent

03 Jun 2021, 13:04

ok ‎

Muirium
µ

03 Jun 2021, 13:19

vincent wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 13:04
ok ‎
Scathing! :D

zrrion

03 Jun 2021, 16:31

Someone with more German legal knowledge than me would have to weigh in on the matter, but since DT is based in Germany still, German law likely forbids the public posting of someone else's identifying information on the forums. I was able to find articles in English about it, but nothing mentioning the specific applicable laws. I highly suggest looking into this matter as if this sort of thing is illegal in Germany then having an active thread discussing the posting of identifying information without consent on the forums could be an issue that could get us in trouble with the host and IIRC would violate the TOS for the forum as well.

Erderm_

03 Jun 2021, 17:25

kbdfr wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 09:47
Interesting how this thread evolved (or rather did not evolve) in the two days I was off :lol:

There's a part of one post I still would like to comment:
dkarguth wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 20:02
[…] And speaking of "ad hominem", Kbdfr quite literally did just that with his post about proper grammar. Instead of actually attempting to refute any claims made in the post, he went after the guy making the post. […]
I would urge you to read my post again, even if I know reading (and properly understanding) is not in high esteem those days, which is the reason i simply quote it in a spoiler:
Spoiler:
kbdfr wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 09:20
micmil wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 00:27
[…] Just because you're a urinedrawers miniature female dog doesn't mean everyone is.

There, I censored myself. You happy? :roll:

I communicated precisely what I intended to. Offended? Why? Because your precious little eyes don't like the word FUCK?
You missed my point with absolute precision.
I'm not offended by your use of expletives, I simply find that at the rate you use them, they are completely counterproductive for efficient communication. They affect the reading rate while conveying no other information than own your state of mind, which is already made clear by the rest, and of no value for anyone trying to know what it's about.
I don't care about your feelings, dude, I simply tried to find out what you had to say, but had to read twice as much as would have been necessary. Hence my comment.

Which leads me to the way you're characterizing me now.
Your choice of words ("miniature female dog") is an eloquent, if unintended, way of showing how you see yourself: a big male guy.
Not a surprise, after your previous post, to now learn from you you're a simple schoolyard bully.

Did I write "simple"? Yes, I did.
  • Not a single word in my post was "about proper grammar". More than cursorily reading would of course have helped, but well, there seems not to be much light in your trenches.
  • I was, as I clearly stated, "trying to know what it's about", and this is obviously a stage where one does not "attempt[…] to refute any claims", as you apparently expected from me.
  • The "ad hominem" crime you accuse me of committing was a hilarious answer to being myself characterized out of the blue as a "urinedrawers miniature female dog", which apparently (and conveniently) escaped your attention.
Schoolyards and their dynamics have obviously not changed that much :lol:

darkcruix

03 Jun 2021, 17:31

zrrion wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 16:31
Someone with more German legal knowledge than me would have to weigh in on the matter, but since DT is based in Germany still, German law likely forbids the public posting of someone else's identifying information on the forums. I was able to find articles in English about it, but nothing mentioning the specific applicable laws. I highly suggest looking into this matter as if this sort of thing is illegal in Germany then having an active thread discussing the posting of identifying information without consent on the forums could be an issue that could get us in trouble with the host and IIRC would violate the TOS for the forum as well.
Is it German based? Has it ever been?
https://www.whois.com/whois/deskthority.net

ifohancroft

03 Jun 2021, 17:32

Can we please just nuke this thread already? At this point it's nothing more than us insulting one another. I thought it was bad at first, but looking at it now... I feel like I loose IQ points just by getting notifications for this thread. Soon, I'd be in the negative numbers, and I didn't start with much IQ to begin with :D

kbdfr
The Tiproman

03 Jun 2021, 18:59

ifohancroft wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 17:32
Can we please just nuke this thread already? At this point it's nothing more than us insulting one another. I thought it was bad at first, but looking at it now... I feel like I loose IQ points just by getting notifications for this thread. Soon, I'd be in the negative numbers, and I didn't start with much IQ to begin with :D
How.jpg
How.jpg (83.35 KiB) Viewed 6138 times
:mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

03 Jun 2021, 19:16

That’s so often true! Explains a lot of poor behaviour in real life, just as much as the first way round.

lis0r

03 Jun 2021, 23:33

zrrion

04 Jun 2021, 02:04

darkcruix wrote:
03 Jun 2021, 17:31
Is it German based? Has it ever been?
https://www.whois.com/whois/deskthority.net
It was last time I checked, looks like the new owner actually moved the host instead of just changing the bill too info. In that case maybe GB has laws about that sort of thing. IIRC they're less strict than Germany though so it is likely not a legal issue for the forum if that is the case but IANAL so it would likely still be wise for someone with skin in the game to look into that.

v.equals.c.rhino

11 Aug 2021, 03:43

any update?

micmil

13 Aug 2021, 00:39

v.equals.c.rhino wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 03:43
any update?
The update is I was right and the person that started this thread took their toys and went home and everyone went back to not giving a shit because it never mattered and does not matter.

If it actually DID matter that much someone would have created an open source Soarer's clone by now. Because, you know, that's how the bazaar works. :roll:

headphone_jack

25 May 2022, 15:54

I can't believe it's been exactly a year since this thread started. What a fucking insane time to be on this forum. I wonder if keyboardcuck keeps a framed photo of it on his wall.

Muirium
µ

25 May 2022, 16:02

Kinda tempted to lock just this one thread for… “posterity.”

headphone_jack

25 May 2022, 16:23

I think you should pin mcmil's comment to the top of Deskthority. Easily the hardest I've ever laughed at anything on this forum.

Muirium
µ

25 May 2022, 16:55

This one?

Actually, if I may go a little OfftopticThority, I’ll just mention how catastrophically user hostile I consider pinned threads to be. They really get on my tits. Take a look at Nexthority for a quick example. Now they’re hardly a busy form (Nexthority’s principal hurdle is getting a sustainable user base so anyone ever habitually posts there), yet their front page is nigh on inscrutable for rapid glancing where the current action is. There’s a bunch of stale guff forever in your face. Neither good form nor function.

So no, I’m not into pinning threads, willy nilly. I know you were kidding, but my rant is all too honest. :P

As for addressing Micmil’s point: Arakula did go to the bother of fully reverse engineering Soarer’s converter (which is still very widely used, by vintage newbs and habitual veterans alike) and some cheeky fucker leaked its source online against his wishes*. No one’s contributing to it because it is a property / reputation nightmare. If it was really dead and forgotten, it’s having a conspicuously productive afterlife in many classic keyboards to this day! There’s still nothing else as turn-key, sensible and complete, right out of the box.

I’m still disappointed in the shit some people were giving Soarer’s work. Asses gonna poopy, but that alternate reality of theirs isn’t one I’ve encountered.

*Arakula sent me a copy of his reverse engineered Soarer’s source code, so I know his wishes well. I did as he requested and kept the source off the internet, just like I’ve done with Soarer’s last known physical address, from ten years back when I proxied him his Kishsaver.

Polecat

26 May 2022, 04:54

headphone_jack wrote:
25 May 2022, 16:23
I think you should pin mcmil's comment to the top of Deskthority. Easily the hardest I've ever laughed at anything on this forum.
I was worried enough to buy an extra converter from Orihalcon. No regrets whatsoever; 40 bucks isn't going to break me and it never hurts to have a spare. So to me it's more of a relief than an amusement to have this behind us. But it's really amazing how one self-important jerk can stir things up.

Muirium
µ

26 May 2022, 14:03

I do think esr fundamentally had a point. If this was a widely used internet-facing technology that needed security updates, running it would be insane. The project would need leadership and legal ownership. Abandonware and unstated licenses are corrosive.

But it’s just an AT keyboard converter. So, uh, the ends did not quite justify the means!

I wish all this hadn’t shat all over Arakula’s reimplementation, though. A modern Soarer’s which runs on more project boards and has extended features and compatibility would be very welcome in our harmless little corner of the tech world.

headphone_jack

26 May 2022, 15:19

We have that, it's called TMK. Takes like 30 seconds to flash, is open source, and continually updated.

Return to “Workshop”