ifohancroft

30 May 2021, 20:46

Razerban wrote:
30 May 2021, 17:32
ifohancroft wrote:
29 May 2021, 18:47
esr wrote:
29 May 2021, 16:16
Urk. I don't actually know this is true. I assumed it based on what Antonizoon said. If he's not a reliable reporter we have a problem.

Not an insuperable one, though. Code decompilation is an actual thing, we'd just need someone to do it more carefully.
Perhaps it is true.

We don't know (at least I, currently don't know on top of my head) if he made any further improvements to the code. Also, despite my changes allowing the code to compile without errors (and IIRC without warnings), I don't know if they are correct.

Also, the code may produce a binary that's functionally the same, so I don't know if it's reasonable for me to expect the two binaries to be exactly the same byte for byte when compiled.

I can't test if they work the same, because as much as I am ashamed to admit it, I don't actually have any old/retro boards. There are many such boards that I want but I couldn't afford buying them so far.
I agree with you on the fact that the code might not be 100% the code that Soarer wrote. I think that Arakula added some comments here and there and made some adjustments so that the code could be built after the decompilation.

I had some errors too while trying to compile the code on macOS. I believe that I'm using a more recent version of GCC than the one that Arakula used at the time he was making this work. But I was able to successfully compile the code and test the resulting firmware on a spare Teensy 2.0 (not attached to a keyboard yet). I was able to upload a configuration file and then download it from the converter without any issues.
The next step would be to test it on an already Soarer-converted keyboard. For that I would need to go to my storage unit and grab one of my test keyboards.

The firmware size being not the same as the ones published by Soarer on DT and GH is quite expected as it can be the result of the following things:
- The code may have been altered during the decompilation process
- Different versions of the build tools than the ones used by Soarer when he built the firmware
- Different libraries versions than the ones used by Soarer when he built the firmware

PS: Some of you might object this, but let me know if I can share the hex files here for others to test the firmware too ;)
Thank you!

I think it should be fine if you share the hex files for others to test as well.

Erderm_

30 May 2021, 21:22

Muirium wrote:
30 May 2021, 15:43
Then keep it to yourself.
>He says after OP posts a book trying to intellectually profile everyone opposing him and wondering why theres so much crap in this thread.

lol ok cmon now.

fohat
Elder Messenger

30 May 2021, 21:46

I have spent a few seconds surfing this thread about once every other day for the past week.

Off-Topic-Thority seems to have reached a new zenith far beyond its previous pinnacle.

Razerban

31 May 2021, 00:25

Alright! I was able to test the firmware on two keyboards (a 102-key Model M and an M122).
The firmware works like a charm.

ifohancroft

31 May 2021, 00:29

Razerban wrote:
Alright! I was able to test the firmware on two keyboards (a 102-key Model M and an M122).
Awesome! Thanks for testing! Does it work functionally the same as Soarer's?

Razerban

31 May 2021, 00:41

ifohancroft wrote:
Razerban wrote:
The two keyboards I tested the firmware on behave exactly as they were running Soarer's firmware (the genuine one).
The layout files I tested the firmware with describe layers, remaps and macros.

There might be other things that I did not test but I think that all in all, the firmware is usable.

ifohancroft

31 May 2021, 00:45

Razerban wrote:
31 May 2021, 00:41
ifohancroft wrote:
Razerban wrote:
The two keyboards I tested the firmware on behave exactly as they were running Soarer's firmware (the genuine one).
The layout files I tested the firmware with describe layers, remaps and macros.

There might be other things that I did not test but I think that all in all, the firmware is usable.
Perfect! Thank you!

I think we can then clean room the reverse engineered code and slap a license on the clean roomed version.

Unless someone else wants to do it or beats me to the punch, in the next couple of days I can start documenting what the reverse engineered code does. I just hope I manage to explain the big picture and not make things too detailed.

Razerban

31 May 2021, 00:53

ifohancroft wrote:
31 May 2021, 00:45
Perfect! Thank you!
Sure thing, no problem.
Also, by reading portions of the code, I found some comments (1, 2, 3, ...) left by Arakula indicating that he might have altered some parts of the code.

micmil

31 May 2021, 05:42

Ah, now this is some proper internet bullshit. Takes me right back to being in the flame wars this narcissistic fuck started in the late fucking nineties. :roll:

ESR is a cunt, has always been a cunt, always will be a cunt, and will always find some way to invalidate anything you have to say even if literally all he has to say is "BUT I'M OLDER" or "BUT I MADE TEH LINUX!*"

For someone that jacks off about the bazaar bringing more ideas, he sure as fuck does cathedral his own bitch ass a lot.

But that's an ad hominem and as we all know, ad hominem is never a legit thing... I mean, except when you agree with the person making said ad hominem, right?

Note how none of this shit mattered until this fuckwad showed up and now everyone's taking sides, some stupid fucks are trying to get lawyers to hunt down people that made some fucking software on the internet and clearly does not give a single shit about it. BUT DEH COOOPYROOT!!!!! NOBODY FUCKING CARES.

At least, nobody fucking cared up until this miserable prick showed up with his same jackoff routine that he does everywhere he fucking goes. He'll appear, pretend to care oh-so-deeply about the subject, someone will question his knowledge (because he has precious little outside of the narrow scope of the software he's created) or give him an answer he doesn't like and he'll find every way possible to take it as an attack, fire right back using the same tired-ass "BUT I MEK LEENOKS?!??!" horseshit (this is where you are) and soon enough he'll take his fucking toys and go home, stating that "BUT ALL I WANTED WAS TO TALK ABOUT STUFF AND PEPL R MEEN?>!?"

EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.

ESR has no clue who I am, but trust me... we have a long unfortunate as fuck history of ending up in the same place at the same time and I've seen the kind of trash he's capable of. Just look at this fucking dumpster fire. This is only a start, because he will shit up every fucking thread with his self-aggrandizing horseshit.

You promoted Linux in the 90's. Whoop-de-fuck. This doesn't mean you know shit about anything else.

And yeah, it's pretty fucking clear the guy that maintains the hacker jargon files knows absolutely fucking nothing about hacking unless it's contained in said jargon file.

Erderm_

31 May 2021, 06:29

micmil wrote:
Ah, now this is some proper internet bullshit. Takes me right back to being in the flame wars this narcissistic fuck started in the late fucking nineties. :roll:

ESR is a cunt, has always been a cunt, always will be a cunt, and will always find some way to invalidate anything you have to say even if literally all he has to say is "BUT I'M OLDER" or "BUT I MADE TEH LINUX!*"

For someone that jacks off about the bazaar bringing more ideas, he sure as fuck does cathedral his own bitch ass a lot.

But that's an ad hominem and as we all know, ad hominem is never a legit thing... I mean, except when you agree with the person making said ad hominem, right?

Note how none of this shit mattered until this fuckwad showed up and now everyone's taking sides, some stupid fucks are trying to get lawyers to hunt down people that made some fucking software on the internet and clearly does not give a single shit about it. BUT DEH COOOPYROOT!!!!! NOBODY FUCKING CARES.

At least, nobody fucking cared up until this miserable prick showed up with his same jackoff routine that he does everywhere he fucking goes. He'll appear, pretend to care oh-so-deeply about the subject, someone will question his knowledge (because he has precious little outside of the narrow scope of the software he's created) or give him an answer he doesn't like and he'll find every way possible to take it as an attack, fire right back using the same tired-ass "BUT I MEK LEENOKS?!??!" horseshit (this is where you are) and soon enough he'll take his fucking toys and go home, stating that "BUT ALL I WANTED WAS TO TALK ABOUT STUFF AND PEPL R MEEN?>!?"

EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.

ESR has no clue who I am, but trust me... we have a long unfortunate as fuck history of ending up in the same place at the same time and I've seen the kind of trash he's capable of. Just look at this fucking dumpster fire. This is only a start, because he will shit up every fucking thread with his self-aggrandizing horseshit.

You promoted Linux in the 90's. Whoop-de-fuck. This doesn't mean you know shit about anything else.

And yeah, it's pretty fucking clear the guy that maintains the hacker jargon files knows absolutely fucking nothing about hacking unless it's contained in said jargon file.
This is the most accurate thing here, arguing over the rights to a keyboard converter should not be the hill we all choose to die on with this dingus.

mode1ace

31 May 2021, 07:52

micmil wrote:

This is why I fall off my chair when he pulls they "you clearly don't know who I am" shit. No, many of us know exactly who you are.

vincent

31 May 2021, 08:04

micmil wrote:
Ah…
Now this is some proper internet bullshit hall of fame material. Easily comment of the entire thread.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

31 May 2021, 08:44

micmil wrote:
[…] this narcissistic fuck started in the late fucking nineties. […]
[…] is a cunt, has always been a cunt, always will be a cunt, and […]
[…] fuck […] bitch ass […].
[…] shit […] fuckwad […] stupid fucks […] fucking software […][…] not give a single shit […] NOBODY FUCKING CARES.
[…] this miserable prick […] everywhere he fucking goes. […] tired-ass […] horseshit […] […] fucking […]
[…]EVERY. FUCKING. TIME. […]
[…] a long unfortunate as fuck history of […] this fucking dumpster fire. […] shit up every fucking thread […] horseshit.
[…] Whoop-de-fuck. […]
[…] it's pretty fucking clear […] absolutely fucking nothing […]
My advice:

Rayndalf

31 May 2021, 09:45

kbdfr wrote:
micmil wrote:
[…] this narcissistic fuck started in the late fucking nineties. […]
[…] is a cunt, has always been a cunt, always will be a cunt, and […]
[…] fuck […] bitch ass […].
[…] shit […] fuckwad […] stupid fucks […] fucking software […][…] not give a single shit […] NOBODY FUCKING CARES.
[…] this miserable prick […] everywhere he fucking goes. […] tired-ass […] horseshit […] […] fucking […]
[…]EVERY. FUCKING. TIME. […]
[…] a long unfortunate as fuck history of […] this fucking dumpster fire. […] shit up every fucking thread […] horseshit.
[…] Whoop-de-fuck. […]
[…] it's pretty fucking clear […] absolutely fucking nothing […]
My advice:

In all fairness this thread displays just about every different failure of communication I can think of.
Fuck is a fun word though.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

31 May 2021, 19:29

micmil wrote:
Spoiler:

EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.

Absolutely stellar synopsis. I had to come back just to say that this post is the most accurate and honest description of this thread and of esr. You deserve a gold star!
Great-Job-gold-star.png
Great-Job-gold-star.png (133.45 KiB) Viewed 14573 times

headphone_jack

31 May 2021, 20:28

micmil wrote:

EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.

You are getting an award plus a beer from me if I ever meet you in person. Easily the best comment on all of Deskthority, even beating out Myoth's teardown of Chyros' GMMK review. If we ever end up giving out wingnuts again, you sure as shit have my vote for one.

micmil

01 Jun 2021, 00:27

kbdfr wrote:

My advice:

Just because you're a urinedrawers miniature female dog doesn't mean everyone is.

There, I censored myself. You happy? :roll:

I communicated precisely what I intended to. Offended? Why? Because your precious little eyes don't like the word FUCK?

vincent

01 Jun 2021, 06:53

Fuck. It just doesn’t have the same impact when the profanity is euphemized.

God damn, I knew I was witnessing history right before my eyes before I even finished reading it. You can count on me buying you a beer too. If too many people pile on, you might die of alcohol poisoning.

vincent

01 Jun 2021, 06:58

And eloquence does not necessarily have to imply prudishness, because that post was eloquent as fuck.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

01 Jun 2021, 09:20

micmil wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 00:27
[…] Just because you're a urinedrawers miniature female dog doesn't mean everyone is.

There, I censored myself. You happy? :roll:

I communicated precisely what I intended to. Offended? Why? Because your precious little eyes don't like the word FUCK?
You missed my point with absolute precision.
I'm not offended by your use of expletives, I simply find that at the rate you use them, they are completely counterproductive for efficient communication. They affect the reading rate while conveying no other information than own your state of mind, which is already made clear by the rest, and of no value for anyone trying to know what it's about.
I don't care about your feelings, dude, I simply tried to find out what you had to say, but had to read twice as much as would have been necessary. Hence my comment.

Which leads me to the way you're characterizing me now.
Your choice of words ("miniature female dog") is an eloquent, if unintended, way of showing how you see yourself: a big male guy.
Not a surprise, after your previous post, to now learn from you you're a simple schoolyard bully.

Did I write "simple"? Yes, I did.

lis0r

01 Jun 2021, 10:32

kbdfr wrote:
TL;DR
Just words. Inefficient. Git gud.

Muirium
µ

01 Jun 2021, 13:03

Sorry Kbdfr, you brought a razor sharp knife to a pre-school food fight. Only orange plastic cutlery is allowed here. ;)

lis0r

01 Jun 2021, 13:33

Muirium wrote:
Boomer solidarity

vincent

01 Jun 2021, 13:41

LOL his comment isn’t the one I had a hard time reading through.

Muirium
µ

01 Jun 2021, 13:53

lis0r wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 13:33
Muirium wrote:
Boomer solidarity
Tell it to my old man. ;)

mode1ace

01 Jun 2021, 14:39

Muirium wrote:
Sorry Kbdfr, you brought a piss to a shit fight.
ftfy

fohat
Elder Messenger

01 Jun 2021, 17:08

kbdfr wrote:

counterproductive for efficient communication

micmil

01 Jun 2021, 19:18

kbdfr wrote:
You missed my point with absolute precision.
I'm not offended by your use of expletives, I simply find that at the rate you use them, they are completely counterproductive for efficient communication. They affect the reading rate while conveying no other information than own your state of mind, which is already made clear by the rest, and of no value for anyone trying to know what it's about.
I don't care about your feelings, dude, I simply tried to find out what you had to say, but had to read twice as much as would have been necessary. Hence my comment.

Which leads me to the way you're characterizing me now.
Your choice of words ("miniature female dog") is an eloquent, if unintended, way of showing how you see yourself: a big male guy.
Not a surprise, after your previous post, to now learn from you you're a simple schoolyard bully.

Did I write "simple"? Yes, I did.
If you find additional words hard to read, might I suggest a return to the 3rd grade? Your inability to read is your problem, not mine, and I clearly do not care one goatfuck iota about "efficiency" in language. If you want that, piss off and CJ with ESR about Lojban.

dkarguth

01 Jun 2021, 20:02

Muirium wrote:
Sorry Kbdfr, you brought a razor sharp knife to a pre-school food fight. Only orange plastic cutlery is allowed here. ;)
Your behavior in this thread has been nothing but hypocritical and extremely ironic. You run around throwing around terms like "ad hominem" and then turn around and do the exact same thing to the people you just griped at. Just because they did it first doesn't mean you should do it back. Unless you're prepared to turn the other cheek and ignore the insults, you have no business policing the thread and calling out anyone who insults each other.

And speaking of "ad hominem", Kbdfr quite literally did just that with his post about proper grammar. Instead of actually attempting to refute any claims made in the post, he went after the guy making the post. That's the dictionary definition of "ad hominem". Here, I'll even google it for you:

At the very least, if you insist on going around being the playground cop in this thread, be consistent with it.

Muirium
µ

01 Jun 2021, 20:14

To quote some asshole:
Muirium wrote:
29 May 2021, 19:15
esr ain’t perfect, no one is. Christ, not me!
Among my chief flaws is the pride with which I wear my hypocrisy! 😄
Screenshot 2021-06-01 at 7.16.37 pm.jpg
Screenshot 2021-06-01 at 7.16.37 pm.jpg (94.89 KiB) Viewed 14827 times
Last edited by Muirium on 01 Jun 2021, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Workshop”