Appreciation Thread

raoulduke-esq

01 Jun 2021, 03:19

Interspersed between all the rabid mouth-shitting folks were doing in the Soarer thread, there were a few outpourings of genuine appreciation for what he did for the community. How about a spot in the workshop where we can express gratitude for others and the help they've given us in our projects?

I'll go first.

I'm really appreciative of Hasu! Without Hasu there would be no TMK and without TMK there would be no QMK. QMK has gone in a different direction on some things (certainly on accepting keyboards/layouts) but there are things about TMK I really love. Excellent support for converters for classic IBM boards like the Pingmaster is one, and the IBM PC converter is a particular favorite. A single keymap can take care of code sets 1-3 and all the different layouts covered by the boards in that family.

I asked Hasu if he would add support for the 5576-001 to this tool because I wanted to be able to use all of the keys on that board and the matching keys didn't have parity with their comrades on the 122-key boards. He knocked the testing out over the weekend and had support in production today. Talk about fast! Now I can define a single layout that works with my 5576, M122, and my rubber dome Unsaver, makes all keys available, and keeps everything in the same place.

So thanks, Hasu, for all you've done in the past and all you continue to do today!

JP!

01 Jun 2021, 04:45

I really appreciate MMcM's tireless efforts to bring various Micro Switch and other obscure vintage keyboards back to life. Truly a go-to resource for many in this community. I wish I knew half of what MMcM has perhaps forgotten over the years of hacking things.

John Doe

01 Jun 2021, 14:17

Yeah, I also got help couple times directly from Hasu, and I appreciate it, alot.

Muirium
µ

01 Jun 2021, 15:11

Hasu, of course, whose Bluetooth HHKB controller is my daily. And Soarer, who's still driving many of my keyboards.

And Pandrew and Darkcruix for their work on bringing QMK to Model Fs and beamsprings. Xwhatsit for the hardware, and XMIT for the builds!

When you start naming names, you soon realise just how much of a team effort there is to all this stuff of ours! My thanks to everyone involved! :D

TNT

01 Jun 2021, 15:33

Thanks to Chyrosran for putting so much effort into his YT channel and drawing so much people into the hobby, including myself!

an_achronism

01 Jun 2021, 15:35

Aye, hasu definitely deserves recognition. I've also been thoroughly impressed with contributions from darkcruix and XMIT. I'd also like to specifically say thanks to Go-Kart for making me feel welcome when I'd only just stuck my head in the door, that really helped a lot. I wouldn't have even ended up here at all if I hadn't found Chyros' videos, so there's that as well.

Oh, and some Scottish guy (I can't remember his name) drove 40-odd miles with 12 keyboards in his car so I could try them all, in a thinly-veiled and ultimately failed attempt to convert me to Team Topre. Unless he's playing the long game and I suddenly change my mind in 3 years.

Muirium
µ

01 Jun 2021, 15:43

Those Topre guys are all dicks. Including 002, to which I give my thanks for getting me started! :lol:

Matteo's been a great friend over the years as well, especially early on when I was into custom builds. His Granite and /dev/tty caps are works of love, and therefore classics. And don't forget he's the one who saved this forum, when we had to migrate from ancient but customised software.

And speaking of DT, here's to Webwit, Mr. Interface and sixty for getting it started. I don't know I'd have stuck around if it was just a choice between GH and Reddit.

raoulduke-esq

01 Jun 2021, 15:52

an_achronism wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 15:35
Oh, and some Scottish guy (I can't remember his name) drove 40-odd miles with 12 keyboards in his car
It's not like a 40 mile drive in Scotland is exactly a punishment... Even if it's B roads the whole way it's fantastically gorgeous! Although doing so with a bunch of Topre in the boot suggests intent to distribute, which across the pond is usually a crime.

That's the good part of the community here- folks who are willing to go out of their way to help others enjoy a shared passion!

an_achronism

01 Jun 2021, 15:59

raoulduke-esq wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 15:52
It's not like a 40 mile drive in Scotland is exactly a punishment... Even if it's B roads the whole way it's fantastically gorgeous!
Not to put Scotland down, but I think most of it was motorway, hahah.

Muirium
µ

01 Jun 2021, 16:12

Motorways? Never heard of them, M8.

an_achronism

01 Jun 2021, 16:38

Muirium wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 16:12
Motorways? Never heard of them, M8.

darkcruix

01 Jun 2021, 17:08

Muirium wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 15:11
Hasu, of course, whose Bluetooth HHKB controller is my daily. And Soarer, who's still driving many of my keyboards.

And Pandrew and Darkcruix for their work on bringing QMK to Model Fs and beamsprings. Xwhatsit for the hardware, and XMIT for the builds!

When you start naming names, you soon realise just how much of a team effort there is to all this stuff of ours! My thanks to everyone involved! :D
Pandrew is the brain - I am nothing. My only contribution might be a Technical Manual at some point on the one or other line of code here and there...

Bjerrk

11 Jun 2021, 13:29

I'd like to mention lispnick.

Why, you ask?

This shit.

lispnick wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 00:25

raoulduke-esq

11 Jun 2021, 18:00

Oh for sure! This fits into the beige whale category at that price but WOW what a lot of work went into that. Would love to see those produced at scale like Ellipse did.

raoulduke-esq

20 Jun 2021, 16:03

JP! wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 04:45
I really appreciate MMcM's tireless efforts to bring various Micro Switch and other obscure vintage keyboards back to life. Truly a go-to resource for many in this community. I wish I knew half of what MMcM has perhaps forgotten over the years of hacking things.
3 cheers for MMcM indeed! He’s spent a ton of time helping me with the LPFK and has been trying to teach me to fish with the MACRO Macro Pad. The latter is very slow going as he has a deep understanding of how the protocols work and all that stuff still goes miles over my head. The number of weird boards he’s written firmware for is astounding and very much appreciated.

Go-Kart

24 Jun 2021, 22:24

I am probably not aware of half the people I should probably be thanking. Coding nerds who have helped us use our lovely old keyboards on our lovely new computers. DT users that have been particularly patient in helping me gets to grips with it all. And then if I had to single someone out, it'd have to be one of the many friendly Scotsman on DT, Muirium. He made me feel very welcome and even got me going with a handful of boards and parts that he close to gave to me!

And thanks to all who contribute to the wealth of knowledge and good vibes here.

hellothere

25 Jun 2021, 02:12

I've got massive appreciation for Soarer, for obvious reasons; Chyros, as his videos introduced me to a world of more than Cherry MX; all of the folks that worked on the Wiki; Polecat for introducing me to OmniKey keyboards; a bunch of folks that helped me out with parts; and a lot of folks that were just helpful and I've tried to make sure that they were thanked in the threads I've glommed data from.

I'm also now feeling that I might need to try out a Topre because of Mu.

Return to “Workshop”