NMB Space invader ISO footprint

xeon3175x

05 Jun 2021, 20:18

How does an ISO pcb/ footprint for SI look? I'm having trouble finding a photo of an ISO space invader board with the keycap taken off.
None of the public libraries seem to have an ISO footprint, usually only a BIGass enter one.

jsheradin

05 Jun 2021, 20:54

I cleaned up a crusty NMB PC-122 a while ago if this is what you're looking for:
Spoiler:
IMG_20210204_171317.jpg
IMG_20210204_171317.jpg (2.63 MiB) Viewed 2445 times
IMG_20210207_145426.jpg
IMG_20210207_145426.jpg (2.29 MiB) Viewed 2445 times
IMG_20210207_200735.jpg
IMG_20210207_200735.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 2445 times

xeon3175x

06 Jun 2021, 09:55

jsheradin wrote:
I cleaned up a crusty NMB PC-122 a while ago if this is what you're looking for:
Spoiler:
IMG_20210204_171317.jpg
IMG_20210207_145426.jpg
IMG_20210207_200735.jpg
Yes, thank you!

Man from Mars

06 Apr 2022, 14:09

jsheradin wrote:
Just a little necro, but I wasn't able to find other references...
I have some questions, if OP doesn't mind answering after all this time ;)
1. Did the board come with RJ-11 connector (aka phone jack)?
2. If so, would it work with a Soarer converter?
3. Is it the same board I found here ? -> viewtopic.php?f=61&t=21128
I am asking because there seems to be one with rounder edges, more simlar to the original IBM, reviewed by @Chyros here that works in a quite uncommon way and one with square borders (as seen in the thread I linked above). I found the latter one on ebay in pretty nice condition and near home: I want to be sure I can use it without casting spells or wielding my soldering iron too much.
I tried my best to research info on my own, so any further help or clarification from board (ex-)owners is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

jsheradin

06 Apr 2022, 14:47

Man from Mars wrote:
jsheradin wrote:
I am asking because there seems to be one with rounder edges, more simlar to the original IBM, reviewed by @Chyros here that works in a quite uncommon way and one with square borders (as seen in the thread I linked above). I found the latter one on ebay in pretty nice condition and near home: I want to be sure I can use it without casting spells or wielding my soldering iron too much.
I tried my best to research info on my own, so any further help or clarification from board (ex-)owners is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
1. Board originally had a 5 pin DIN and spoke XT with the exception that it did not send release codes.
2. Soarer's worked but again, didn't send release codes. Every time you press a key it's like its pressed forever until you unplug the board.
3. There seems to be a few variants all bearing the same model #, case design, etc. I'm not sure if there's any way to tell them apart without hooking up a Soarer's and seeing if it plays nice. Some variants do supposedly work fine with the stock controller.

Although it looks daunting, a controller swap is pretty easy on this board. It's a full diode NKRO matrix with a pretty logical row/column layout. I already have mine mapped so I can provide the PCB pickup points and config if anyone wants it.

Some more pics of the board here:
jsheradin wrote:
07 May 2021, 03:17
Spoiler:
Unfortunately didn't send release codes so I did a full brain replacement.

TheInverseKey

06 Apr 2022, 21:29

Man from Mars wrote:
Spoiler:
jsheradin wrote:
Thanks in advance.
Like jsheradin stated the only real way to know is if you open it up and there is a voltage regulator. Otherwise, all other versions of the PC122 Rev. C should either speak XT/AT.

I have also replaced the controller with another refurbished chip instead of using a teensy. See here for more information: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20935

Man from Mars

07 Apr 2022, 14:46

TheInverseKey wrote:
Like jsheradin stated the only real way to know is if you open it up and there is a voltage regulator. Otherwise, all other versions of the PC122 Rev. C should either speak XT/AT.
I have also replaced the controller with another refurbished chip instead of using a teensy. See here for more information: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20935
Thanks jsheradin and TheInversekey.
I have read TheInversekey's post and it's pretty interesting indeed. Maybe using a Teensy instead of making surgery on the board's guts would be more within my "range" (if I got it right Teensy is actually an option, rather than sourcing a new controller chip).
One more question: I have also come across another PC 122 board with a PS/2 connector, that also seems to be in nice (almost NOS, judging from pictures) condition. To your knowledge, could this be a "standard" PC keyboard or, again, a board I'd only have to test to know?
I'd really like to get my hands on one of these boards, as I like the 122 size quite a lot. Still, I have enough paperweights around and I'd rather not add another one to the collection...

Muirium
µ

07 Apr 2022, 15:22

Man from Mars wrote:
Still, I have enough paperweights around and I'd rather not add another one to the collection...
Well…
jsheradin wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 14:47
Soarer's worked but again, didn't send release codes. Every time you press a key it's like its pressed forever until you unplug the board.
Doesn't that sound like a paperweight to you? I'd be wary with these. Trying to fix up such a board would require a new controller at the very least.

TheInverseKey

09 Apr 2022, 19:52

Man from Mars wrote:
Spoiler:
TheInverseKey wrote:
Thanks jsheradin and TheInversekey.
I have read TheInversekey's post and it's pretty interesting indeed. Maybe using a Teensy instead of making surgery on the board's guts would be more within my "range" (if I got it right Teensy is actually an option, rather than sourcing a new controller chip).
One more question: I have also come across another PC 122 board with a PS/2 connector, that also seems to be in nice (almost NOS, judging from pictures) condition. To your knowledge, could this be a "standard" PC keyboard or, again, a board I'd only have to test to know?
I'd really like to get my hands on one of these boards, as I like the 122 size quite a lot. Still, I have enough paperweights around and I'd rather not add another one to the collection...
The PS2 variant is almost 99% AT

Man from Mars

11 Apr 2022, 10:39

TheInverseKey wrote:
Well, let's see if I can get a good deal on the board...
Thanks for helping, I'll post updates if I end up buying the board.
However, your great mod/investigation on the PC 122 and the board itself should go on the wiki, the model seems undocumented.

TheInverseKey

11 Apr 2022, 17:04

Man from Mars wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 10:39
TheInverseKey wrote:
Well, let's see if I can get a good deal on the board...
Thanks for helping, I'll post updates if I end up buying the board.
However, your great mod/investigation on the PC 122 and the board itself should go on the wiki, the model seems undocumented.
Yes, I agree that it should be documented eventually. I have been working on an NMB wiki for some time now and well it takes time to organize the data in the best way possible a partial wiki is available here: https://wiki.vintkeys.ca

Return to “Workshop”