Acer KB-101A circuitry questions

light655

07 Jun 2021, 02:50

I've bought an Acer KB-101A from a local recycle centre for 800NTD (approx. 27USD), but it is battered to hell. The case of the keyboard is in pieces, and the AT (or PS2?) connector was cut off.
I'm planning to fully renovate this keyboard when I have the time to do it, including making a new case, and perhaps give it Bluetooth connection.
However, I would like to make a temporary connection with cable, but I cannot find information about which coloured wire corresponds to which pin on the PS2 connector.
^ The white connect is the remains of the AT/PS2 cable inside the case, it is just cut off at the outside. I would like to solder on a PS2 cable to connect to a computer, but I need to know the pin layout of that white connector. Maybe somebody can test which colour stands for which PS2 pin for me, or provide any other information, any help is appreciated!

Polecat

07 Jun 2021, 03:41

Looking at my old notes on this. On my KB-101A the connections are (top to bottom):

pin# - signal - color

6 - clock - brown
5 - data - yellow
4 - n/c - none
3 - reset - white
2 - ground - orange
1 - Vcc +5 volts - red

The black wire in the cable was the shield and went to the tab on the switchplate.

From that chart you should be able to match those up to PS/2 connections.

edit: check out the Data General 6312 keyboards on ebay. You might consider using the case from one of these rather than repairing the original, very close...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324499703148

light655

07 Jun 2021, 04:01

Thanks a lot for the pinouts!

The Data General 6312 indeed looks quite alike this one! I'm afraid I don't have the time to do it too soon, so I'll look for options when I have the time.

Polecat

07 Jun 2021, 04:12

Those Data Generals are really Acer 6312 models, which used a slightly modified version of the KB-101A-style case. This seller had dozens, but they are down to the last few, so don't wait too long.

Return to “Workshop”