Need some help with getting my IBM beam spring display writer to work

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

27 Jun 2021, 02:27

Hello again. Long time no post. Figured this would be the right place in the forum.

So my beam spring display writer has gone bonkers. It has been sitting for awhile. I plugged it in and got no response when I tried to type. When I fire up xwhatsit's capsense utility, the voltage threshold was 21975!!!! The usual range should be between 100 and 200 and my other beam spring sits at about 130. I was able to lower the threshold into the usual range but there are an unusual amount PRESSED keys and other keys are non-responsive. Basically, I can't get a proper voltage threshold and the keyboard will not work properly.

Any insight on this? Anybody else run into a similar issue? Is the controller or PCB fried? Am I gonna have to replace the controller? Any help would be appreciated.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

27 Jun 2021, 04:14

Okay, did find a voltage threshold that works, but for some reason an entire column is registering as PRESSED and the column is not a dead column. I actually need to use the keys in the column. So I'm wondering if there is damage to the PCB or controller in that column.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

27 Jun 2021, 05:09

Lol, solved the issue. I screwed the backplate on too tight and it was causing a column to be pressed. Loosened the bolts and now the keys work fine and don't show as pressed.

The auto-calibrate to over 21000 still scares the crap out of me. I'm scared to auto-calibrate on the utility now.

EDIT: okay I did auto calibrate and it was only 152. So that pressed column due a tight backplate probably screwed up everything.

Return to “Workshop”