Wrist rest repair

zippolupan

28 Jun 2021, 16:44

Hey DT,

Back in 2018 I was fortunate enough to find a sealed 3M WR510 wrist rest from 1996 (paid 12€ at a thrift shop in Brussels). It matched my Model M beautifully and in general, I find it very comfortable. I have since then moved on to an F122 but retain the WR510.
Spoiler:
A couple of months ago, the top leather layer over the gel cushion started cracking and failing very quickly. It's still structurally the same, but now it doesn't look as nice as it used to.
Spoiler:
Any ideas for repairing it? I have no idea how to disassemble the cushion from the (removable) plastic base. There seem to be no screws at all, so I'm assuming this is glued in assembly. Thanks :)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

28 Jun 2021, 18:02

Quite the same happened to the cushions of my RollerMouse, which also were glued to the plastic base.

Removing them was just a matter of cautiously pulling them from the base, but all attempts to replace the (faux) leather by wrapping them with similar material or with fabric miserably failed, especially as it was impossible to fit the rounded corners without causing hideous wrinkles.

So in the end I simply completely removed the cushions and glued one flat layer of artificial leather in their place.
I am now very satisfied with that solution, the flat optic looks much better and the wrists do not "sink" anymore.

Return to “Workshop”