Using a Model M spacebar on Model F AT/122

ivanthetolerable

30 Jun 2021, 17:15

Does anyone have any advice on using a model M spacebar on an F (non xt)? I emailed Joe at ModelF keyboards and he suggested this adapter but didn't have advice on installation. I was directed to ask here. I would like to be able to hotswap model M spacebars since we can't really buy replacement F ones.
Screenshot_20210630-063901.png
Screenshot_20210630-063901.png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 1717 times

fohat
Elder Messenger

30 Jun 2021, 22:46

The easiest way is to slip 2 washers over the "V" and ",<" barrels. Wcass discovered that 7/16" SAE washers work quite well.

Their weight is just right, and although they may interfere with the bottom millimeter of key travel, it is hardly noticeable.

I don't know what the metric equivalent would be, or if there is one, but I tried other washers such as rubber, fiber, etc, but none worked properly.

ivanthetolerable

30 Jun 2021, 23:31

fohat wrote:
The easiest way is to slip 2 washers over the "V" and ",<" barrels. Wcass discovered that 7/16" SAE washers work quite well.

Their weight is just right, and although they may interfere with the bottom millimeter of key travel, it is hardly noticeable.

I don't know what the metric equivalent would be, or if there is one, but I tried other washers such as rubber, fiber, etc, but none worked properly.
Huh? Do you know if there's any pics of this?

fohat
Elder Messenger

01 Jul 2021, 02:56

ivanthetolerable wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 23:31

any pics of this?
The ones that I did are in deep storage. There is really nothing to it. Drop the washer over the barrel and slip the wire under it.

fohat
Elder Messenger

01 Jul 2021, 03:07

E TwentyNine

01 Jul 2021, 15:14

fohat wrote:

I had tried it with both metal and nylon washers. The metal was too clangy and the nylon was just ok.

Ended up epoxying down two of the wire catches from another spot on the board. If you don't have the spares you could make something similar I would guess. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52379

fohat
Elder Messenger

01 Jul 2021, 15:36

I have done this several times. Epoxy the tabs to bare metal, otherwise the paint layer might separate.

The tabs were bent strips of sheet metal. Cuts from food tins are a bit flexible but work well enough.
Attachments
IBM-F-spacebar-tabs.jpg
IBM-F-spacebar-tabs.jpg (191.4 KiB) Viewed 1591 times

Sheepless

01 Jul 2021, 15:50

fohat wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 15:36
I have done this several times. Epoxy the tabs to bare metal, otherwise the paint layer might separate.

The tabs were bent strips of sheet metal. Cuts from food tins are a bit flexible but work well enough.
I used 0.2mm steel tinplate, bent into a U shape and epoxied down. No problems since, though it'll be a pain to remove if that's ever needed.

Return to “Workshop”