Blue alps keyboard: sell whole or scrap for switches?

Sunshine701c

16 Jul 2021, 04:24

I apologize for being a complete noob on this, but I'd like some advice.
I've been using a Leading Edge keyboard for a while now that has clicky blue alps switches. Now I'm looking to get rid of it, I have a newer keyboard I like using, would it be more profitable for me to disassemble the keyboard and desolder the switches themselves or sell the keyboard as a whole? The keyboard works with a soarers converter, so I don't want to do such a thing unless I know I would make more money for just the switches themselves.
And do clicky blue alps switches need cleaning? I'd be happy to disassemble and lube the switches as well if it would mean getting more of my money back, but I don't want to push it.

Karmel

16 Jul 2021, 04:48

Only clean them if they're dirty, if they're clean then don't bother. You would probably get more money out of selling the whole thing as opposed to just selling the switches, I don't think there are too many people willing to pay the price of a whole working blue Alps keyboard for 83 heavily used switches.

Bjerrk

16 Jul 2021, 07:47

It also depends: does your time have any value to you?
If not, then the most profitable way is probably to sell the switches one by one to people who need a replacement. But then you're also working for minimum wage and have parted out a perfectly nice, working keyboard.
Up to you :-)

fohat
Elder Messenger

16 Jul 2021, 15:24

Sell it as-is. LE 2014s bring a good price these days.

Return to “Workshop”