Has anyone ever made/designed a replacement Displaywriter case?

tiltowait

04 Aug 2021, 01:02

I've had the idea of making a more compact case for my Displaywriter. The biggest savings, of course, is getting a replacement bottom plate that doesn't have the long, curved flanges that originally housed the controller. Has anyone done something like this before? Anything I should be aware of? (This would be my first time attempting a mod like this.)

Weezer

04 Aug 2021, 03:00

I'm not aware of anyone who's tried this specific mod before. It might be more effort than it's worth but I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with.

zzxx53

04 Aug 2021, 18:32

Another user has fitted an XT case onto a 5251, so (somewhat) similar concept
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17339&start=
Given how tall beamsprings are, adding a wide area below the spacebar as a palm rest might be a good idea.

tiltowait

04 Aug 2021, 19:59

zzxx53 wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 18:32
Another user has fitted an XT case onto a 5251, so (somewhat) similar concept
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17339&start=
Given how tall beamsprings are, adding a wide area below the spacebar as a palm rest might be a good idea.
I did see that. My goal is something entirely non-destructive, so a fully custom, possibly wooden, case will be necessary.

I tend not to use palm rests, but I'll probably add something like that just to balance out the back portion of the keyboard, which will necessarily have some empty space in order to accommodate the controller and solenoid. I think the keyboard will ultimately be shorter than some might expect, though it will still be taller than anything else I own.

Sadly, I won't be able to start on this for a couple of months, at least.

Return to “Workshop”