An interactive tool for finding IBM keyboard part numbers

sharktastica

29 Aug 2021, 13:48

Hi all!

As some may know, I've long-time been working on an IBM keyboard part number database project inspired by the DT wiki part number list but intended to be a more centralised version of it with more data points and (eventually) less reliance on volatile/eBay references. One of the cool things about this model is that it allows me to pull off some cool feats with the data, and this is hopefully one of them!

https://sharktastica.co.uk/kb_db_finder

Here's what it looks like:
kb_db_finder_20210829.png
kb_db_finder_20210829.png (301.18 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
Information below up-to-date for version 0.9.3.

The idea? An interactive way to search the database by answering a five-question (mostly) illustrated quiz about what you're looking for it. This could be useful for:
  • Finding out if a particular style and function of IBM keyboard you want exists
  • Reverse-searching a keyboard you know exists but don’t know any part numbers for
Presently, the focus is Model F, Model M and ThinkPad keyboards, including part numbers from IBM, Lexmark, Unicomp, Lenovo, and Toshiba Retail. Model B(eam spring) and more IBM-Alps coverage will come later once I've improved the database itself's coverage of them. The following questions are asked (you also get the option to skip a stage):
  1. What colour is the keyboard's case? - eg. off-white/beige, black, industrial grey
  2. What form-factor does the keyboard typically sport? eg. full-size, "navblockless", 60%
  3. What branding is typically found on the keyboard? eg. IBM silver square, IBM grey oval, Unicomp logo on lock lights
  4. What switches lie beneath the keyboard's keycaps? eg. IBM capacitive buckling springs, Alps SKCL Yellow, standard rubber domes
  5. Does the keyboard have an integrated pointing device? eg. TrackPoint II, 25mm trackball, Unicomp pointing stick
Is it finished? Not yet. I actually started this project last year but left it neglected for some time, and only two days ago decided to get around to finishing it. The most pressing issues at the moment are the options that aren’t illustrated with some pixel art and getting some of the option wording right, which I'm trying to fix as quickly as possible. Suggestions for the latter are appreciated.

Feel free to have a go and let me know what you think! As it’s still a preview and subject to bugs, please let me know if you come across any.

Cheers and enjoy!

Wintermute1974
Tessier-Ashpool S.A.

29 Aug 2021, 14:55

The website functions really well, from what I can see. Can I bookmark the link now, or will it change in the future?

I have a recommendation for Q5. Can you split "None of these / Skip this step" into two different answers?
Otherwise the "None of these" people will get the pointing devices in their results.

raoulduke-esq

29 Aug 2021, 15:46

Interesting suggestion from the construct above.

Would love to see the key sets integrated into the matcher. “As a clickymon master, I want to be able to easily determine which model numbers possess all of the currently integrated flow-chart attributes I like AND have cool sub legends.”

sharktastica

29 Aug 2021, 16:41

Wintermute1974 wrote:
The website functions really well, from what I can see. Can I bookmark the link now, or will it change in the future?
Glad it's working for you! The link is very unlikely to change, so feel free to bookmark it now. On the odd occasions I have changed the URI name of a page, I've ensured to add redirects anyway.
Wintermute1974 wrote:
I have a recommendation for Q5. Can you split "None of these / Skip this step" into two different answers?
Otherwise the "None of these" people will get the pointing devices in their results.
Good point, I'll look into this for the next update. Speaking of updates, as I did with the thread about my wallpaper generator, I will post details of updates here as they're made live.

sharktastica

29 Aug 2021, 16:51

raoulduke-esq wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 15:46
Would love to see the key sets integrated into the matcher. “As a clickymon master, I want to be able to easily determine which model numbers possess all of the currently integrated flow-chart attributes I like AND have cool sub legends.”
Aye, you enquired about this on my Discord server! My database indeed stores details of layouts and special legends (via "Layout/Language" field or "Notes" field if they're optional or something), so adding them in as a new question is in the works! The challenge is that layouts/special legends have been referred to by different terms by various data sources, so I'm presently working on a dictionary of sorts to standardise the names. But, it will be a feature soon.

raoulduke-esq

29 Aug 2021, 17:05

sharktastica wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 16:51
Aye, you enquired about this on my Discord server! My database indeed stores details of layouts and special legends (via "Layout/Language" field or "Notes" field if they're optional or something), so adding them in as a new question is in the works! The challenge is that layouts/special legends have been referred to by different terms by various data sources, so I'm presently working on a dictionary of sorts to standardise the names. But, it will be a feature soon.
Gotta know if the data exists before requesting the feature. Maybe photos along with the dictionary, or even blue or orange pips on the keyboard icons made by the generator on keys that have the special subs?

crashnburn

02 Sep 2021, 14:24

First post on the forums and first bookmark - from ole TP spaces.

Return to “Workshop”