May I present... the Scuffboard (ACME server rack Keyboard)

Gamshmig

22 Oct 2021, 06:27

Hello all, I'm super new to deskthority, vintage keyboard hunting, and just generally being any kind of keyboard enthusiast. As such I have no real experience in modding anything nor the materials to really do so. That being said, what launched me into this hobby was that in February, I was at my job, helping strip some old server racks when I found a few Adesso scissor key keyboards but I also found

this.
20211021_223956.jpg
20211021_223956.jpg (3.58 MiB) Viewed 5724 times
This bad boy is at least according to the wiki and the sticker on the back the ACME KB-108-1
20211021_224548.jpg
20211021_224548.jpg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 5724 times
It has Black ABS keycaps with pad printed lettering.
20211021_224351.jpg
20211021_224351.jpg (3.3 MiB) Viewed 5724 times
`
Now, according to the Wiki, there's a cream colored one with a 5 pin connector and ps/2 for the mouse, but notably, this one has ps/2 connectors for both as it seems to be a later revision of this particular model. Another thing to note is that whereas the model linked to on the wiki page has black alps switches in it, this one has some alps clones that I surmise to be alps.tw Type T1 clone switches
20211021_224258.jpg
20211021_224258.jpg (3.06 MiB) Viewed 5724 times
Unfortunate because I'd much rather have black alps than alps clones but oh well. I had no idea what I was looking at before a couple days ago though, so I had been trying to do something with this keyboard for a couple months. When I first attempted to type on it, the keys were binding so bad it was unbelievable. I literally couldn't bring myself to type on it the binding was so bad. Queue stumbling upon the how to clean your alps switches videos by Chyros and suddenly I thought, "Hey! I can do that no problem." I also figured I had been watching some videos about lubing switches so I also figured if I was going to be taking all these switches out, I might as well try lubing them too as they're so heavy and bindy that it couldn't hurt right? Well I don't have nor want to spend the money on krytox or anything like that so I looked around work for anything that would function as lube... Until I stumbled upon some gear lube... for cars and heavy machinery. I'm an idiot and I didn't take a picture of it. Now, I'm not an ABSOLUTE fool, I made sure I wasn't ruining some treasured switches before I tried this and that's when I found out these weren't white alps but clone white alps, so I went ahead with it.
I lubed every keyswitch on this keyboard with genuine gear lubricant.......

and it doesn't suck ass either. I'm not saying it's incredible or anything, but painting the sides of the plunger as well as the spring with lube and now the keys don't bind at all, it's kinda freaky honestly and extremely scuffed. But that's why I call it the Scuffboard.
I have been daily driving this for about 2 weeks now and honestly, it feels and sounds different from anything I've been able to get my hands on at this point. I just want to get my hands on some white (or ideally blue in the future if I ever find a reasonably priced blue alps keyboard for less than 200 geez) alps and test them out. I've tried cherry blues, outemu blues, akko pinks, Acer switches, and now these Alps.tw Type T1 switches both lubed and unlubed and I gotta say these are the best sounding out of the bunch for sure. The keyfeel is a bit inconsistent on the first keys I did due to not having a consistent method down to lube them but all the other keys feel pretty good and similar. Anyway, I'm enjoying getting into this hobby and I hope to have some more scuffed cheapskate methods to save money to show you soon. I may try something funny on those NOS acer switches. I like them and the way they feel but their sound is a little too light for my taste. Also, if anyone has any recommendations for propping up a keyboard that has no legs I'm all ears as typing on this thing flat hurts my wrists so I've just been using my wrist rest to prop up the far side of the keyboard but it slides with ease. Also if anyone has any recommendations regarding what to fill that plastic space (for the hinge of a KVM?) with I'm open to suggestions... no matter how cursed those suggestions may be

podgen

25 Jan 2023, 22:43

did you ever manage to get your hands on some white alps? I'm in the same situation where i want to try some clicky alps, but everything but a board i found with these are mad expensive. Thanks!

Muirium
µ

25 Jan 2023, 22:44

(wo/)man up and grab an OG clicky Alps board. By the fifth one, chances of a good haul swing towards your favour. ;)

First time luck can also happen, especially if here instead of fleabay.

Return to “Workshop”