Some Questions About Lighting

Sandpaper600

06 Nov 2021, 01:23

I'm attempting to muddle through my first KB build. I still in the planning phase, but I want to have my ducks in a row before I actually start building.

I'm wondering about lights. I am planning to do a wired KB and I want to use pudding caps. Since the switch plate is going to be steel, no light shines through it. I know if I want "underglow" I can put lights under the switchplate and let them shine out of a transparent/translucent "open layer", but, what are people doing to provide the lights for the keycaps?

I really don't want to get into the wiring of lighted switches, besides I'm not looking for different colored keys or special lighting effects. I just want backlit keycaps.

Is this done just by strip lighting on top of the switch plate? It kinda' looks like this might interfere with the key functioning. Are there "special" leds to use?

Reference my original thread (probably posted in the wrong area), here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26439

vvp

06 Nov 2021, 18:18

Almost everybody puts LEDs into switches.

Second often used option is having translucent switch casings with cutout at the bottom for SMD LEDs. The LEDs are soldered to the PCB and switches sit on top of them.
If the switches do not have the cutout (but are still translucent) then you can still use reverse mount SMD LEDs (shining through PCB, no copper layer at the LED location).

If you already have a steel plate and do not want to put LEDs into switches then the only good option is to use translucent switches and just lit the space below the plate very well. Use diffusing acrylic plate (like in LCD monitors) to get even light. Maybe you can avoid it and play with LED placement and painting the keyboard case insides under the steel plate with glittery white colour.

I doubt you can achieve an even backlit by placing LEDs above the steel plate at the case sides. But maybe even backlit is not important for you. If you choose this option then post pictures of the result. I'm curious.

Return to “Workshop”