Vector editor for keyboard plate design

SK-8K

06 Nov 2021, 20:21

Can anyone recommend a tried-and-true good vector editor for editing keyboard plate designs? I've tried Inkscape and it's just terrible.

I need to be able to easily change switch cutout dimensions, finely change spacing between groups of keys, change the plate size, add additional cutouts and holes, etc.

Findecanor

06 Nov 2021, 21:16

I've used QCad a lot. You could say that it has a steep learning curve because the user interface is so different from Inkscape's and other programs with the "Mac type" of user interfaces. It is quite modal, but guides you through the steps. That can feel clunky at first, but with practice you learn how to do things quicker.

I use to put each type of cutout in a "block". And then I have a layer just with lines for grids and alignments with specific measurements that I snap to when I move things around.

SK-8K

07 Nov 2021, 03:52

Ok, I'll check it out.

07 Nov 2021, 05:10

Manual plates I draw in qcad, using reference dxfs as needed for switch types. Or, I generate the plate dxf from swills tool sites (cap layout first, export to the plate builder), then edit as needed (if needed) in qcad.

Sandpaper600

01 Dec 2021, 20:10

If you are conversant with SketchUp, there is a plugin called FaceSVG. It has some limitations though. You can check it out here:

https://support.shapertools.com/hc/en-g ... ia-FaceSVG

Return to “Workshop”