Custom Keyboard PCB Design

joshsmith18_

29 Nov 2021, 21:53

I am currently in my capstone project for electrical engineering and have never done PCB design and would love if someone could help me out. My group is making a programmable keyboard with OLED screens that will display special characters such as the Greek alphabet and symbols from math and engineering. The keyboard is a 3x4 matrix and we are planning to use Cherry MX switches. To the right of the top 9 keys we will be using an FPC connector that I have included a picture of the hole dimensions needed it is the TE Connectivity A100294TR-ND, I don't believe it is possible to directly add in the connector but if possible that does make it much easier. I also uploaded a picture of the dimensions of the actual board itself and the hopeful spacing of the keys. The MCU that we will be using is the AT91SAM3X8E that can be found on an Arduino DUE board. The PCB does not need to be perfect as this isn't going to be the final iteration of it but I need something that I can at least go off of for now. I would prefer if KiCAD is used since it is free and what I currently have access to. In the mean time I will be attempting to do this on my own so this is more of a backup plan at this point. I am also not sure of the pins for the MCU to be completely honest. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Attachments
FPC connector spacing.jpg
FPC connector spacing.jpg (268.68 KiB) Viewed 7215 times
Basic PCB keyboard.jpg
Basic PCB keyboard.jpg (269.85 KiB) Viewed 7215 times

__red__

30 Nov 2021, 01:23

If you're willing to use diptrace (and it's also free) I'll set up a meeting / screen share and teach you.

joshsmith18_

30 Nov 2021, 05:36

__red__ wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 01:23
If you're willing to use diptrace (and it's also free) I'll set up a meeting / screen share and teach you.
That would be awesome, would you be free tomorrow (11/30) at all?

__red__

30 Nov 2021, 12:35

Probably, what's your timezone and availability look like?

(If anyone else wants to watch as far as I'm concerned their welcome to too)

joshsmith18_

30 Nov 2021, 15:19

__red__ wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 12:35
Probably, what's your timezone and availability look like?

(If anyone else wants to watch as far as I'm concerned their welcome to too)
I am in eastern and am free until noon and then free the rest of the day after 2:45pm

Return to “Workshop”