Vintage Blacks cleaning, matching parts

drevyek

02 Dec 2021, 04:30

I have a pile of vintage blacks that I pulled out of a Wyse PCE (for restoration!), and they're filthy. Covered in corrosion from the PCB, gunk, etc.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner that I picked up from Amazon, and I'd like to clean the switches properly. However, I really don't want to spend a bunch of time cleaning each one for x minutes, one at a time (especially not for 100 of them!).

My question is: Should I keep the parts of a switch together when doing this, cleaning one at a time, or should I just do like 3 runs (one for all of the stems, tops, and bottoms)?

Bjerrk

02 Dec 2021, 10:44

No particular reason to keep them together. Good luck with the sonic'ing - the quality of ultrasound cleaners seems highly variable!

drevyek

02 Dec 2021, 19:45

Bjerrk wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 10:44
No particular reason to keep them together. Good luck with the sonic'ing - the quality of ultrasound cleaners seems highly variable!
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure how good this one is. I'm getting some scale off, but I may need to run it for longer on the particularly grimy ones. I'm currently going for 10 minutes per run.

And good to know, thanks! I'll just dump them all in. Makes it a lot easier to have a bag for each.

Lynx_Carpathica

15 Dec 2021, 20:07

By keeping the parts together, you can elliminate the need for annoying mods like that damn annoying paper mod.

gianni

16 Dec 2021, 13:06

---
Last edited by gianni on 19 Dec 2021, 06:41, edited 1 time in total.

Easy_Spinach

19 Dec 2021, 00:49

drevyek wrote:
I have a pile of vintage blacks that I pulled out of a Wyse PCE (for restoration!), and they're filthy. Covered in corrosion from the PCB, gunk, etc.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner that I picked up from Amazon, and I'd like to clean the switches properly. However, I really don't want to spend a bunch of time cleaning each one for x minutes, one at a time (especially not for 100 of them!).

My question is: Should I keep the parts of a switch together when doing this, cleaning one at a time, or should I just do like 3 runs (one for all of the stems, tops, and bottoms)?
my method:

1. disassemble all switches (must)
2. soak/shake in soapy water
3. rinse it all under tap water for a good amount of time. I use a shower head.
4. soak / shake them in ethanol or isopropanol (optional)
4. put them in ultra sonic cleaner (use distilled water) or just rinse them twice with distilled water
5. let them dry

gianni

19 Dec 2021, 06:40

Easy_Spinach wrote:
drevyek wrote:

my method:

4. put them in ultra sonic cleaner (use distilled water) or just rinse them twice with distilled water
5. let them dry
I'd use ipropropanol last, why is the last step water?

Easy_Spinach

08 Jan 2022, 15:16

gianni wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 06:40
Easy_Spinach wrote:
drevyek wrote:

my method:

5. let them dry
I'd use ipropropanol last, why is the last step water?
Was my initial idea too, but I noticed that it leaves a whiteish residue on the switches. I believe that the alcohol dissolves some of the flux in the solder. Could be other reasons, but thats why the last step is distilled water.

Return to “Workshop”