How to remove return key on an Alps Keyboard

amigastar23

06 Jan 2022, 17:14

Hello there,

i have a White Alps keyboard and want to remove the Return Key to change switches (see photo).
How do i do that safely? If anyone has a video of it that would be even better. I use a key puller of this sort:
https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B01HPC88 ... C160&sr8-5

The return key has some type of rails underneath it. Do i lift it normally then pull it out?

Thanks

Findecanor

06 Jan 2022, 17:35

First, you should have a wire keycap puller tool.

Then find where it is most likely that the switch is.
The positions of the switch and stabilisers under the key are different on different keyboards. The stabilisers are often either horizontal (like an ANSI Enter) or vertical (like an ISO Enter) under the key, with the opposite part of the key unstabilised - and therefore more wobbly than the rest. But there are some keyboards that have "big-ass Enter" keys with both a vertical and a horizontal stabiliser.
Which model keyboard is it?

Once you think where the switch is, gently pull the key over the switch straight up just so much that it gets loose from the switch. Alps switches need to pull pulled gently straight up or you'll risk breaking the keycap's stem.

Then you can unclip the stabilisers. Alps keyboards can have either "Alps-style" or "Costar-style" stabilisers (or even both).
The Alps-style stabilisers are easier: they wire can be pulled from the plate vertically and slide off the inserts under the keycap. Costar-style stabilisers are more tricky: hooked into the inserts under the keycap and mounted differently to the plate.

Edit: Unedited
Last edited by Findecanor on 06 Jan 2022, 17:50, edited 2 times in total.

amigastar23

06 Jan 2022, 17:39

Findecanor wrote:
06 Jan 2022, 17:35
First, you should have a wire keycap puller tool.

Then find where it is most likely that the switch is.
The positions of the switch and stabilisers under the key are different on different keyboards. The stabilisers are often either horizontal (like an ANSI Enter) or vertical (like an ISO Enter) under the key, with the opposite part of the key unstabilised - and therefore more wobbly than the rest. But there are some keyboards that have "big-ass Enter" keys with both a vertical and a horizontal stabiliser.
Which model keyboard is it?

Once you think where the switch is, gently pull the key over the switch straight up just so much that it gets loose from the switch. Alps switches need to pull pulled gently straight up or you'll risk breaking the keycap's stem.

Then you can unclip the stabilisers. Alps keyboards can have either "Alps-style" or "Costar-style" stabilisers (or even both).
The Alps-style stabilisers are easier: they wire can be pulled from the plate vertically and slide off the inserts under the keycap. Costar-style stabilisers are more tricky: hooked into the inserts under the keycap and mounted differently to the plate.
Thank you for explaining, its an ARC Mechanical Keyboard with white alps, don't know which model. I have a wire keycap puller.

Findecanor

06 Jan 2022, 17:48

Sorry. I edited my post after you quoted me, so I edited back.

Your keyboard resembles a Monterey K104.
There is only one mention of ARC in the Wiki: and that is of using rebranded Chicony models. The Chicony with large Enter keys seem to have used the same types and layout of stabilisers as Monterey.
Both brands use to have the switch under the horizontal portion of the key (as if there was an ANSI Enter key there).

I would wrap the keycap puller around that portion of the keycap and gently pull straight up just so that it gets loose from the switch.

Then the stabilisers are probably Costar-style stabilisers. : one horizontal around the key switch and one vertical in the upper/right corner.
To loosen the stabiliser, either pull it lengthwise to unhook it from the clip in the keycap on one side and then the other. Alternatively, use a thin screwdriver to unclip it sideways from where it is snapped into its clip in the plate.
There are also Cherry MX keyboards with Costar-style stabilisers, so there are thankfully plenty of videos on Youtube about those.
Last edited by Findecanor on 06 Jan 2022, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

amigastar23

06 Jan 2022, 17:51

This is the keyboard i have:

But i have a question, what can i do when the return key hangs to the right? In this picture of the Monterey there is only a switch at the bottom (red arrow), but this zone is actually alright its just that the key is somewhat stuck on the upper right part (see yellow arrow)
How to fix this?

Sheepless

06 Jan 2022, 18:41

It'll surely be a lot easier to remove that keycap if (a) you open the case, and (b) you remove the keycaps around it. You should then be able to get your fingers under it.

amigastar23

07 Jan 2022, 02:08

Thanks guys for the help but can someone explain maybe to me how i can solve the problem i've mentioned in my post above?

Return to “Workshop”