Omron Goodness ...

hellothere

29 Mar 2022, 02:16

I'm just going to point to a different thread for pics. I'm lazy. viewtopic.php?t=5657. Wang 725-7943.

* Probably the reason I got it for less than the seller initially asked is because the 5-PIN Din to PS/2 adapter was shot. No worky at all.
* I've got the standard assortment of a couple dead switches. I've asked in the sale area, but if you have some or clones, I'd love to buy some from you!

Omron became my "white whale" after my original ww, an IBM 5576 with Alps SKCP switches didn't work as well as I was hoping. The Omrons were described as being loud, but having really good tactility. I don't really care for "loud," but I don't mind the tactility!

My first impression is that I like the switches more than blue Alps, but not as much as my Realforce or Abko Nopre. Yes, considerably different directions, but I don't collect. I repair and look for the mythical "best" keyboard. My sadly-departed brown tactile Alps is definitely more tactile than these Omrons. Maybe a half a brown? The Omrons are weighted quite a bit lower.

So, next steps are cleaning and retr0brighting. Then I'll either start swapping switches from the F keys or someone will sell me some working switches!

Return to “Workshop”