Why has nobody tried to make a custom case for model f's and beamsprings? (other than that one thread)

vyquad

03 May 2022, 23:27

like, the model f is 41 years old and yet we still dont have CNC and wooden cases? the only real custom case i saw was a video where someone didnt have the top case for their xt so they made a (shitty) CAD model and 3d printed it

adamcobabe

04 May 2022, 00:33

Do you really not have a guess or two as to why? Ask Ellipse. You could give it a try yourself and discover some reasons. Maybe you're a talented engineer/designer with bottomless pockets and free time. That'll help... :D :roll:

...because it's expensive and hard and Model F and Beamspring cases are already awesome!

vyquad

04 May 2022, 03:49

adamcobabe wrote:
04 May 2022, 00:33
Do you really not have a guess or two as to why? Ask Ellipse. You could give it a try yourself and discover some reasons. Maybe you're a talented engineer/designer with bottomless pockets and free time. That'll help... :D :roll:

...because it's expensive and hard and Model F and Beamspring cases are already awesome!
guess i can give myself on a try on a bent steel model f case

Muirium
µ

04 May 2022, 12:51

Why can’t we go to the fireworks fac-tor-ree?!?

Lalaland124

04 May 2022, 13:55

vyquad wrote:
03 May 2022, 23:27
like, the model f is 41 years old and yet we still dont have CNC and wooden cases? the only real custom case i saw was a video where someone didnt have the top case for their xt so they made a (shitty) CAD model and 3d printed it
I recently picked up an old project of mine to make a metal/plastic case for a zenith z-150. It’s not an IBM keyboard but here’s the link if you’re curious. The same concept could easily be done for model f’s

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25520

Spoiler:
7171FAFC-E273-45B2-9D6F-3F5ED2D0D042.png
7171FAFC-E273-45B2-9D6F-3F5ED2D0D042.png (159.41 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
E46180AD-9043-49C0-BFAA-BB4970D5ECFD.png
E46180AD-9043-49C0-BFAA-BB4970D5ECFD.png (103.7 KiB) Viewed 1535 times

SneakyRobb
THINK

07 May 2022, 01:36

For me the focus is the switches. The case is sometimes irrelevant, and sometimes an extremely critical part of the experience. It can be a super big piece of metal or plastic with huge cost to make. Your question relates specifically to Model F and Beamspring switches. These switches in terms of vintage keyboards are sometimes in hollow plastic, dense plastic, metal or even tables for cases. The switches themselves are a major source of sound experience and not to say it doesn't matter, but they do not necessarily benefit as much as others from such case design. A custom Model F or beamspring sort requires either you make a custom case for an extant form factor with mods, or even just leave it bare. If it is an extant form factor, they basically already sound amazing and really there is no need to make a custom case. If the form factor is not existing, you have to design your keyboard design then once it is all good, then you can make the custom case. The quality of the original keyboards is such that the need to create both a custom layout, and then a custom case is extremely low. This is probably imho why you don't see custom cases. People just really really really love the switches so much, they don't bother with the massive work to change the layout. I've tried making numerous model f layouts and the XT one I have still sounds and feels the best.

The original keyboard is already extremely excellent, and sounds great. There is really not much market or even desire to go to all the trouble. Wooden cases are of course possible, but anyone who needs one probably already has a good plastic case.

DMA

10 May 2022, 06:18

Model F cases are good enough and pretty sturdy - only USPS can break them. By all means, go ahead and make that bent metal case - but beware, if you're making one for sale, you might have a problem actually selling it. Because not only original cases are tough - model F is pretty awesome without them (for XT you'll need to improvise some legs to keep the near end on the desk, F122 won't even need that)

Return to “Workshop”