Request for Peer Review: Space Cadet Schematic & PCB (KiCAD)

MathematicalJ

06 Jun 2022, 06:47

I have reproduced the Space Cadet keyboard in KiCAD.

Actually, there are three versions each in their own branch:
  1. main: Traces are represented as graphics objects on copper layers. KiCAD does not support curved traces.
  2. Modern: Traces are drawn in a modern style but with roughly the same topology as the original. This lets me use the usual EDA tools to avoid errors. (The PCB is shown above.)
  3. FlattenedBeziers: An attempt to fake curved traces in KiCAD by partitioning the curves into small line segments and using the wire fillet feature introduced in KiCAD 6. A work in progress.
I do not have access to a real Space Cadet keyboard, so I've had to make some guesses. In particular:
  • The mounting holes are approximations at best. These need to be verified.
  • The Space Cadet has multiple models of switches, but I have assigned each switch the value SD Series 4B3E. I'd like to know which switches were at which spots.
  • The values of the capacitors need to be verified.
Any other constructive peer review would be appreciated.
Last edited by MathematicalJ on 11 Jul 2022, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

11 Jun 2022, 18:12

What is your goal with this project? It’s not clear. Do you want to do a PCB swap on a board you don’t have? Is it an art project? Hard to give feedback without knowing your goals here.

Muirium
µ

11 Jun 2022, 19:48

Same here. Looks nice, but what is being peer reviewed?

MathematicalJ

12 Jul 2022, 00:13

Thanks for the replies. To any newcomers to this thread, discussion has resumed on my latest post here.

Return to “Workshop”