Restoration blunders

fohat
Elder Messenger

24 Jul 2022, 19:20

snacksthecat wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 04:17

I did not use a spray paint because I live in the city
There probably isn't a realistic alternative to spraying.

On something keyboard-sized it should be manageable, a sheet of newspaper on the ground works well. And within minutes it is probably dry enough to carry inside if you are careful and have planned ahead on your carrying technique and route.
Failing that, if you have an exhaust fan over the stove that gets some portion of the extra spray out.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

29 Jul 2022, 02:31

fohat wrote:
There probably isn't a realistic alternative to spraying.
That's kind of the conclusion I arrived at so thank you for affirming it so I don't try anything alternatively unwise.
fohat wrote:
Failing that, if you have an exhaust fan over the stove that gets some portion of the extra spray out.
I just got engaged and I'd like to keep it that way.

Maybe I'll just need to find a nearby field or wide open alley.

thefarside

29 Jul 2022, 04:10

snacksthecat wrote: Maybe I'll just need to find a nearby field or wide open alley.
Spraying into a cardboard box helps keep the paint contained. Below is an example from a recent restoration:
D2561D22-022F-4C87-8953-CB307598BC3A.jpeg
D2561D22-022F-4C87-8953-CB307598BC3A.jpeg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 2312 times

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

29 Jul 2022, 20:18

Looks very contained and doable. Thanks!

dotdash

29 Jul 2022, 22:46

Yeah, get a cardboard box and do it in the alley. If you overspray, no one will notice. If you're really in the city, you'll have to drive to the suburbs to buy it though.

chipe

29 Jul 2022, 23:26

Yeah, I've got a big one to take off of my chest. Was restoring a Focus FK-9000 and I accidentally broke the old, brittle ribbon connector that connects the LCD calculator screen to the PCB. It just snapped off with barely any force, I should've been SUPER careful with it.

Now I'm just sitting around waiting for someone smarter than me to post a guide on how to replace or upgrade the LCD. I've seen some around, I just don't have the spare time to research it myself.

I'm also planning on putting a solenoid into it... it's just sitting on my workbench taking up space for now.

snacksthecat
✶✶✶✶

03 Aug 2022, 02:12

I remembered another one, and I think it well deserves the Deskthority Darwin Award.

I ~fried~ a NeXT non-ADB keyboard when I tried to plug a DIY hasu converter into the mouse connector. Yes, you read that correctly. The keyboard didn't come with a cable so I assumed it was just removable and plugged jumper wires into the mouse port thinking it was the keyboard cable slot. I only noticed something was going wrong when I detected heat coming from the top of the case and smelled the aroma of electrical malfunction (you know the one).

RIP that keyboard and my ego.

TLDR: Don’t TLDR your way through this hobby.

thefarside

03 Aug 2022, 03:52

I’m not sure if I cause this blunder but it was a problem. On the Northgate Omni Key 102 the controller has a window that when exposed to UV light will erase the image rendering it useless. I didn’t know this and left my disassembled Omni Key sitting on my desk exposed to sunlight. There’s a chance I might’ve erased it but it already wasn’t working before so who knows…

Lesson there is to always cover up your EPROM windows!
JPEG image 4.jpeg
JPEG image 4.jpeg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 2178 times

mmm

20 Sep 2022, 21:57

I've got a couple to add
  • Attempting to remove a switch module from an AT&T 56k (magnetic separation foam and foil) without first disassembling it. This broke the magnet ring.
  • Attempting to insert an assembled switch module from the 56k. This broke the magnet ring. Very cool design AT&T, I enjoy breaking switches.
  • Attempting to reassemble the magnet ring with strong glue without making a rig for it. This made the magnet rings a bit "thicker" as it became a bit crooked, lowering the tactility in those switches.
  • Thinking that I am an expert in handling SI switches, yet managing to pull a slider off with the keycap, and mess up the contact leaves when reassembling the switch, even though I would like to believe I was careful.

thefarside

24 Sep 2022, 23:05

mmm wrote:
I've got a couple to add
  • Thinking that I am an expert in handling SI switches, yet managing to pull a slider off with the keycap, and mess up the contact leaves when reassembling the switch, even though I would like to believe I was careful.
I did this right after getting my SI set from inozenz. I thought I could pull the cap off like any other switch and BAM the slider and spring came right off. Thought I’d ruined the switch…

My joke is my tombstone will read “Learned everything the hard way…”

inozenz

25 Sep 2022, 14:52

thefarside wrote:
24 Sep 2022, 23:05
mmm wrote:
I've got a couple to add
My heart.... It hurts....

Si is definitely one of the hardest switches to handle if they are still on the PCB. Opening desoldered switches is a breath.

I did this right after getting my SI set from inozenz. I thought I could pull the cap off like any other switch and BAM the slider and spring came right off. Thought I’d ruined the switch…

My joke is my tombstone will read “Learned everything the hard way…”

Meowmaritus

25 Sep 2022, 18:06

thefarside wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 03:52
I’m not sure if I cause this blunder but it was a problem. On the Northgate Omni Key 102 the controller has a window that when exposed to UV light will erase the image rendering it useless. I didn’t know this and left my disassembled Omni Key sitting on my desk exposed to sunlight. There’s a chance I might’ve erased it but it already wasn’t working before so who knows…

Lesson there is to always cover up your EPROM windows!
JPEG image 4.jpeg
Oh so thats why theres tape on the controller in the refurbished omnikey 102 i got. i'll be sure to keep it on

Return to “Workshop”