KFB Question

Sandpaper600

02 Aug 2022, 23:36

I am looking at Keyboard Firmware Builder. I have imported my layout info and the wiring tab looks right:

I notice it calls out 5 rows and 12 columns. I only have 11 columns, but I see that column 7 is omitted, so it actually is 11.

But then when I go to the pins tab I see:

There are actually 12 columns listed. What is going on here? How do I use this to assign my Teensy pinout?

If I change the wiring tab to 5 rows and 11 columns, it changes the wiring traces with a bunch of cross-wiring that does not exist on my keyboard.

Anyone have any insight?

jsheradin

03 Aug 2022, 16:10

Interesting bug! I'd guess your options are to either ignore it or set the column count correctly. If there's no keys assigned to the column I assume QMK will still work fine albeit at a marginally slower scan rate. Setting column count to 11 is of course the best option but you'll have to do some untangling. I think you can just click on each key when in the wiring tab and set the row/column position to the correct values.

Sandpaper600

04 Aug 2022, 07:32

So are you thinking that I should assign column 7 to an unused pin on the teensy, or should I leave column 12 unassigned?

I fooled around with setting the columns to 11 and trying to move the wiring manually, but in order to straighten the wiring out, I had to specify 12 columns again.

Sandpaper600

04 Aug 2022, 07:38

Going back and looking at KFB again, when I click the keys, as you mentioned, the placement calls them by the corresponding rows as named (no column 7).

So again, would this mean that I would be OK by just assigning an unused Teensy pin to the column 7 designated in KFB?

jsheradin

04 Aug 2022, 08:40

You can (in theory) get away with having the unused column assigned to an unused pin but I'd still recommend just taking the time to untangle the matrix. It might be easiest to correct the assignment for the switches on columns 8-11 (set to 7-10 respectively) and then change the column count.

You should have no problem fitting that board into a 5x11 matrix.

Sandpaper600

04 Aug 2022, 21:01

Geeze. I was so focused on detangling the row 10/11 wiring that it never even occurred to me to start with column 8 and make it 7.

I changed all the remaining columns to what they should have been and all looks right now.

Thank you for your sage advice. Stick around....I about to try to program this project. :roll:

Return to “Workshop”