wrist rest angle

guidemetothelight

04 Aug 2022, 15:31

Hey Guys ,

do you have an oppinion regarding the angle of wrist rests ?
I plan on casting keyboard cases inside a mold and i modeled my keyboard like this:
Do the dimensions look right to you ?

Happy Typing,

Nick
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (24.48 KiB) Viewed 2130 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (37.21 KiB) Viewed 2130 times

Shifty

13 Aug 2022, 10:22

The wrist rests I have made are flat and about the same height as the keyboard. Ergonomics-wise, you should have your wrists pretty straight in a normal typing position, the slope you have seems like it would put your wrist into extension, which would not be ideal. But that's just my best guess, you should make a physical prototype to see what is comfortable for you.

guidemetothelight

15 Aug 2022, 17:14

Shifty wrote:
13 Aug 2022, 10:22
The wrist rests I have made are flat and about the same height as the keyboard. Ergonomics-wise, you should have your wrists pretty straight in a normal typing position, the slope you have seems like it would put your wrist into extension, which would not be ideal. But that's just my best guess, you should make a physical prototype to see what is comfortable for you.
Thank you for your input !

Probably ill seperate the keyboard and the wrist rest , since that will be way easier to manufacture and i can change stuff later and easier.

For the case, ill try to model something like the norbauer cases.
I just have to thing about typing angle :?:

Findecanor

15 Aug 2022, 20:13

There might have been a better case for an integrated wrist rest if the keyboard was split with tenting - thus sloping the wrist rests sideways. Many split ergonomic keyboards have integrated wrist rests, but a notable exeption would be the µTRON which has cushions that are separate.

BTW, back in the early '00s I was really annoyed with Microsoft's keyboards. Not only because of the lousy key-feel but also because their plastic wrist rests were sloped too much forwards. I could not rest my wrists on the rests - they just slid off. Those should serve as a warning example of doing it wrong.

guidemetothelight

20 Aug 2022, 00:42

Findecanor wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 20:13
There might have been a better case for an integrated wrist rest if the keyboard was split with tenting - thus sloping the wrist rests sideways.
iam gonna go "traditional" diy pour case , meaning 60% , thick upper rim and smaller lower rim, and 6% angle.
probably with linear or clicky alps :) hopefully a gasket mount.

Return to “Workshop”