Model F Dampening?

Meowmaritus

25 Sep 2022, 20:17

Okay so you know how Model M has that rubber mat that makes it significantly quieter?
and in fact a model M sounds a lot closer to a model F if you remove the mat.

I was wondering if anyone has experimented with anything similar to that for Model F? Honestly, I'm not a super huge fan of the Model F sound. I just like the amazing keyfeel and build quality more than anything. If there's a way to make a Model F sound more like a Model M, I'd be all over that.

Anyone experimented with anything like this?

Muirium
µ

25 Sep 2022, 20:24

Well, a Model M sounds wrong without the mat, but not really like a Model F. The F sound is all about that big flipper slapping the PCB.

As for messing with it: that’s your contact point right there. You’d have to put something between the two, I guess. Could still work with capsense, but it’d have to be quite thin.

darkcruix

25 Sep 2022, 20:52

Muirium wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 20:24
Well, a Model M sounds wrong without the mat, but not really like a Model F. The F sound is all about that big flipper slapping the PCB.

As for messing with it: that’s your contact point right there. You’d have to put something between the two, I guess. Could still work with capsense, but it’d have to be quite thin.
The only thing that comes close to dampening the switches is the soft touch method (find the part of the PDF attached). It is not sounding like the Model M of course, but the shorter travel of the flipper gives it less energy to make noise.
Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 8.51.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 8.51.14 PM.png (1.17 MiB) Viewed 2541 times
Attachments
ModelFManual.pdf
(357.35 KiB) Downloaded 81 times

Muirium
µ

25 Sep 2022, 21:01

Aye, quietening F is defo not my thing. Anyone ever tried metal flippers? 🤘

darkcruix

25 Sep 2022, 21:29

Muirium wrote:
Agree - needs to stay the bad a** keyboard it always has been.

Metal Flippers you say ...

Crizender

25 Sep 2022, 22:06

Muirium wrote:
I have! The Polish Model F AT clone has them. It is one of my favourites.

fohat
Elder Messenger

26 Sep 2022, 16:41

That is a lot more effort than the floss mod.
But it makes me wonder whether something like a small square of black electrical tape might be enough for just a bit of relief.

Soon I will have to disassemble my favorite 122-key for a thorough cleaning, I am getting doubled and continuous characters from a single key press ....

Return to “Workshop”