IBM/Unicomp Model M keyboard matrix simulators and 2KRO visualisers

sharktastica

28 Oct 2022, 15:37

Hello there!

I - like I'm sure many here have - noticed that (to no fault of any particular person) how the IBM Model M's membrane key-matrix operates and what two-key rollover (2KRO) means can be misunderstood. Combined with many questions people have regarding Unicomp Mini Model M's improved key combination support, I decided to make some visualisations to help people:

* Understand what 2KRO means for Model Ms and how for them it doesn't necessarily mean 3+ key combinations don't work.
* Test possible key combinations to see if they work before any purchase. People wondering if their gaming key combinations would work on a Model M is pretty common.
* See how Unicomp changed what sort of key combinations can work via their newly designed matrix for the Mini M.

Find them at: https://sharktastica.co.uk/media#Simulators

1.png
1.png (34.76 KiB) Viewed 3737 times
The debut simulators include:

* IBM Enhanced Keyboard (101/102-key, applies to Lexmark versions)
* IBM Space Saving Keyboard (84/84-key, applies to Lexmark versions)
* Unicomp PC 122 (Type IV 122-key with late-style controller)
* Unicomp EnduraPro or Ultra Classic (104/105-key)
* Unicomp Mini Model M (87/88-key)

Each simulator sports an interactive keyboard, the ability to switch between ANSI US English and ISO UK English layouts (or 3270 and 5250 compatible layouts for any 122-key simulators), the ability to show colour-coded matrix columns or rows on said keyboard, and a tabular view of the raw matrix itself.

2.png
2.png (41.39 KiB) Viewed 3737 times
Matrix column visualisation
3.png
3.png (39.34 KiB) Viewed 3737 times
Matrix row visualisation

Regarding the Unicomp Mini M specifically, the simulator shows you how Unicomp managed to make the entire physical home row and/or WASD operable with each other despite the keyboard still being membrane-driven/2KRO - each key on the home row or WASD was wired to have its own matrix column.

purdeaandrei - the GOAT - was instrumental in helping make this possible by providing matrices and looking over my code! Note that this is still technically W.I.P. with some improvements still planned:

* More colour keys, such as for possible interface (like USB) limitations.
* Mobile/tablet optimisation.
* More layouts to suit the majority of possible site viewers - the shortlist includes Arabic, Brazilian Portuguese (ABNT2), Canadian French, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Latin American Spanish, and Spanish.
* Of course, more keyboards including buckling sleeve Model Ms.

Please let me know what you think!

Return to “Workshop”