Compatible caps for PED keyswitch's?

ArtyomTheMetroHopper

25 Nov 2022, 16:04

Caught sight of a bbc micro raw board on ebay with PED type keyswitch's. Its pretty cheap and I am considering getting hold of it for a a restoration job. The only problem is that there is no keycaps and I can't find any keycaps being sold separately on ebay. On the wiki it infers that they are similar to Hi-Tek High profile but does not actaully clarify if they share the same cap mount:

wiki/PED_keyswitch

Does anyone know what caps are compatible with this switch or if it is even viable to get hold of replacements?

ArtyomTheMetroHopper

28 Nov 2022, 09:26

Seems like people are not as sure as I am, I think I will pass on the restoration

Muirium
µ

28 Nov 2022, 11:19

As the wiki says: they are a proprietary mount. I haven’t seen anything compatible out there, myself.

ArtyomTheMetroHopper

28 Nov 2022, 11:48

Ah I overlooked that bit, little embarrassing :roll: . Oh well

Muirium
µ

28 Nov 2022, 12:45

Wiki’s are always a work in progress, so it’s not wrong to question them. Threads often bring up new knowledge.

browncow

28 Nov 2022, 12:56

Maybe it would be possible to 3D-print some sort of an adapter, but i guess unless alps/cherry keystem fits inside the slider, you would have to deal with your keycaps sitting way higher than normal :/

ArtyomTheMetroHopper

28 Nov 2022, 13:12

browncow wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 12:56
Maybe it would be possible to 3D-print some sort of an adapter, but i guess unless alps/cherry keystem fits inside the slider, you would have to deal with your keycaps sitting way higher than normal :/
The funny thing about this hobby is the more and more I delve into it, I find myself needing a 3d printer more and more.

Dont think I will be breaking the bank anytime soon for a 3d printer to get PED caps, but I have decent amount of experience using fusion 360 and may invest my time in keyboard open source projects (like those 3d printed key switch's that pop up). :D

browncow

28 Nov 2022, 16:03

I'm sure if you ask there somebody could print stuff for you, but with those caps you would have to figure out if any of the popular keystems can fit inside the slider of that switch. then some kind of an adapter would be possible. the other possiblility is, if you can open the switch, you could print a replacement slider (though resin based printers would be smooth enough for sliders only i think)
I have tried to make new ALPS sliders with cherry cross mount, my buddy has a resin 3D printer. It was a limited succes, i think the print is smooth enough to work as a slider but i need to get the dimensions just right.

Return to “Workshop”