Model F with Televideo

65caliente

27 Jan 2023, 07:26

I found a thread on here that outlines how to use a televideo keyboard with a XT PC viewtopic.php?t=17624

My question is if a Model F keyboard can be made to work with a Televideo TPC I that I don't have a keyboard for? Thanks

Muirium
µ

27 Jan 2023, 10:58

Good thread you've found there!

My understanding, having just perused Polecat's thread, is that it should work just fine as a replacement Televideo keyboard. So long as you understand his instructions completely, you should be able to pull it off. Sounds like a handy mod.

Polecat

27 Jan 2023, 17:21

65caliente wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 07:26
I found a thread on here that outlines how to use a televideo keyboard with a XT PC viewtopic.php?t=17624

My question is if a Model F keyboard can be made to work with a Televideo TPC I that I don't have a keyboard for? Thanks
A Model F XT keyboard should work. That was my original reason for the conversion - to have a decent keyboard for my TPC II. The TPC I and II speak XT, not AT. You'll need to build an inline adapter to drop the 12 volt power to 5 volts. I sold some of those adapters to a local guy who had TPC II and 1605 computers but no matching keyboards. And I had a TPC I keyboard which worked on my TPC II, so the protocol on the TPC I and II should be the same.

The important thing is that you need to drop the voltage. 12 volts will kill an XT keyboard, Model M or other.

65caliente

28 Jan 2023, 00:45

Thank you for the help, I figured it would probably work but was worried with the TPC I being CP/M and not DOS.

Polecat

28 Jan 2023, 20:09

I have one of each keyboard, TPC I and TPC II (the Futaba version, not NMB), and they are identical inside and out except for the badge. And they both worked on my TPC II before I put it in storage. I still need to dig it out and get it going again. That was my first DOS computer.

65caliente

09 Feb 2023, 07:58

I made the adapter and it works great! Thanks again!

Polecat

10 Feb 2023, 04:49

Nice, I'm glad to hear you got it working.

Return to “Workshop”