Noob question re G80-1800

cherryMXblack

25 Feb 2023, 03:01

Hello everybody,

while I am not really "in the hobby", I do have a mechanical G80-1800 with vintage MX blacks which I like very much.

Case and keycaps have certainly seen better days, and the cable also looks about as old as it is, but I do very much like to type on it.

I can get a like-new G81-1800 of exactly the same layout cheap (money is an issue), and so I am wondering if I could just take out the PCB from that, drop in my old one, use the new case, keycaps and USB cable and have myself a new board with my old switches inside.

The question mostly concerns the USB connector. I would hate to damage my old PCB or the switches electronically by using the new cable.

Has anyone here done that before, will it work, does everything fit?

Cheers, Andrew

Muirium
µ

25 Feb 2023, 09:27

Good question…

Looking at the DT wiki pages for both boards, apparently they’ve been through several evolutions over the years. I’d try to be real specific about the age and layout of each one you want to merge.

This is the kind of stuff Cherry guys get up to, but. So you’re on the right track. I do suspect details matter.

cherryMXblack

25 Feb 2023, 14:45

Thank you, Muirium.

So, that means, even if the key layout is the same (ISO DE), and both came as USB keyboards, I cannot be sure that they work after exchanging the USB cable, right?

Well, if necessary, I could live with the old cable, would rather not, though.

Muirium
µ

25 Feb 2023, 15:28

The Cherry folk will know. All I can say is that I’ve heard of straightforward G80/81 swaps but the wiki says those 1800s have been made for decades, and undergone a lot of changes. So a straight swap might not work. My own knowledge runs out there, but other people who are into these boards could fill you in on the details.

Findecanor

25 Feb 2023, 16:12

On the modern "Hellgrau" (light grey) G81-series keyboards, the larger keys (such as Backspace and Enter) are not compatible with Cherry MX. Instead of each key having three stems - one for the switch and two for stabiliser mounts on the PCB, the stabiliser bar clips to the keycap and slides in tracks on the sides of the Cherry MY switches themselves. All the keycaps sized 1u to 1.75u should fit though.

I don't know about the G81-1800 case, but it is likely to be compatible if both keyboards are of the same major generation: having Windows keys or not.

cherryMXblack

25 Feb 2023, 21:12

That's good info, thanks.
I can overcome that by using the old bigger keys, if necessary.

As an aside, not really relevant to this subforum:
Which place should I go to for information and discussion on what additional board to get, TKL, hotswap, good quality?
I consider asking for one the next time folks want to give me a gift, for my birthday e.g.
I'd also want information about alternative switches, but right here is probably not the place to do so.

ntv242ver2

14 Mar 2023, 22:09

cherryMXblack wrote:
Hello everybody,

while I am not really "in the hobby", I do have a mechanical G80-1800 with vintage MX blacks which I like very much.

Case and keycaps have certainly seen better days, and the cable also looks about as old as it is, but I do very much like to type on it.

I can get a like-new G81-1800 of exactly the same layout cheap (money is an issue), and so I am wondering if I could just take out the PCB from that, drop in my old one, use the new case, keycaps and USB cable and have myself a new board with my old switches inside.

The question mostly concerns the USB connector. I would hate to damage my old PCB or the switches electronically by using the new cable.

Has anyone here done that before, will it work, does everything fit?

Cheers, Andrew
Hi, I am a bit confused about what you retain and what you dont. See, g81 should use Cherry MY switches and they are very different than your cherry MX Black. Further, you can't just disconnect the usb cable and stick it to your old pcb. It does not work like that, and further the cable is not detachable. Best you can do is switching the case.

Rayndalf

15 Mar 2023, 03:59

When you swap PCBs in a G81 for one that used MX switches usually all you're keeping is the case and keycaps.
Later MY boards use keycaps that have built in stabilizers and won't work with MX stabilizers.

As for PCBs there are many options out there but personally I think the E80-1800 is the best option right now.
https://github.com/ebastler/E80-1800

ntv242ver2

15 Mar 2023, 12:58

Rayndalf wrote:
15 Mar 2023, 03:59
When you swap PCBs in a G81 for one that used MX switches usually all you're keeping is the case and keycaps.
Later MY boards use keycaps that have built in stabilizers and won't work with MX stabilizers.

As for PCBs there are many options out there but personally I think the E80-1800 is the best option right now.
https://github.com/ebastler/E80-1800
Honestly if OP has the skills and equipment to desolder/ solder already, and the problem is really just the cable is looking wrecked, I say buy a brand new ps2 or din 5 cable and solder that in the old PCB. Problem solved XD

davkol

18 Mar 2023, 15:31

cherryMXblack wrote:
I don't think so. I once tried to move a G80-1800 PCB into a specialty G81-1800 case and learned that the PCB dimensions were different in the controller area.

If you're in Germany, can't you get your hands on one of those cheap Lauer Fischer G80 boards? I got a few and some were in fairly decent condition.

cherryMXblack

29 Apr 2023, 22:55

davkol wrote:
If you're in Germany, can't you get your hands on one of those cheap Lauer Fischer G80 boards? I got a few and some were in fairly decent condition.
Are those still available? I thought they had become unobtainium. Would love to know a source, they ought to be really cheap and well worn in. Would like to get a decent condition one though, technically and visually.

Any caveats regarding sellers or condition?

And, sorry that I reply so late. I am not a regular even at best times, and lately some not-keyboard related issues have occupied much of my attention.
I appreciate the replies in the meantime very much, though.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

30 Apr 2023, 06:59

cherryMXblack wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 22:55
davkol wrote:
Are those still available? I thought they had become unobtainium. Would love to know a source, they ought to be really cheap and well worn in. Would like to get a decent condition one though, technically and visually. […]
Link to this seller's current sales of grey and black G800-1800s (they seem not to have an own website any more):
https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_dkr=1&i ... &_nkw=1800

browncow

29 Jul 2023, 20:40

i have bought three of those lauer-fischer boards from this seller and they are all good condition, very clean, even inside, although they have a sort of weird slick feeling to them maybe covered in something resembling car-interior-shine-spray-thing people get when they want to make plastics all shiny and black. The plastic just feels like covered in some fatty substance. Other than that the boards were all good.

Return to “Workshop”