What's the proper way to open a Noppoo Choc Mini?

jakobcreutzfeldt

04 Jul 2012, 12:16

Total noob question, please be patient :)

I just received a used Choc Mini and out of the box I was having a bunch of problems in Linux. It seemed that it only worked randomly. When it wasn't working the kernel was complaining about not being able to enumerate the device and at one point hinted that the USB cable might be bad. Then I found that if I repositioned the cable a bit at the base, things worked. Furthermore, now if I accidentally push the cable a bit, I can see the device resetting (the Switch Lock LED flickers a bit and the Gnome kb layout widget disappears momentarily), after which things work just fine again.

I know that the cable is not soldered to the board but it instead uses a connector, so I want to check if it's loose. However, I can't figure out how to open the thing since there aren't any screws. This being a new (to me) keyboard and me being brand new to the world of mechanical keyboards, I'm a bit afraid to try just popping it open, lest I do it the wrong way and break something. Can anyone give me some pointers please? Thanks in advance!

Limmy

04 Jul 2012, 13:02

I found a youtube video among search results from google.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egaqtCgw2pw

You will find what you need in first 1 minute of the video.

jakobcreutzfeldt

04 Jul 2012, 13:06

Hmmm I didn't find that in my search. Thanks for the link! It looks simple enough. I even have the right tools! :P

CeeSA

04 Jul 2012, 13:58

this video needs more positive feedback ;)

jakobcreutzfeldt

04 Jul 2012, 14:20

Well, that was easy enough. It popped open relatively easy using a card and the board comes right out, not being actually attached to the case in any way.

I did notice that one of the four contacts in the connector was a bit off, but not in such a way that I would normally find suspect. Not seeing any other problems, such as in the soldering, I went ahead and reseated the connector and the iffy contact. On the first try, no luck...I couldn't even get the keyboard to be recognized by the computer by jiggling the wire. So, I went back in and reseated it again, not really doing anything different and now everything works. It seems to be a little more stable, such that I can at least move my keyboard around without it resetting. I'm not planning to really test it though. As long as it works now, it's fine.

off

04 Jul 2012, 14:33

jakob, if you happen to have a multimeter, it's probably worth your while to test that cable; if that turns out to be the iffy part, then all the more reason to follow CeeSA's guide for a detachable cable! ;)
Ofcourse, if it is the cable with it's small connector, just pushing the pins farther in might help; it could be that one of the mini-cable-clamps is not fully inserted into the connector head, and thus not connecting reliably to the connector on the board.
CeeSA; nice vid, but less kaugummi would be appreciated! :P

jakobcreutzfeldt

04 Jul 2012, 14:35

CeeSA wrote:this video needs more positive feedback ;)
Heh, I just connected the dots. Thanks for the informative video! :)

jakobcreutzfeldt

04 Jul 2012, 14:40

off wrote:jakob, if you happen to have a multimeter, it's probably worth your while to test that cable; if that turns out to be the iffy part, then all the more reason to follow CeeSA's guide for a detachable cable! ;)
Sadly I personally don't have one. I can hunt around my lab to see if we have one hidden here.
Ofcourse, if it is the cable with it's small connector, just pushing the pins farther in might help; it could be that one of the mini-cable-clamps is not fully inserted into the connector head, and thus not connecting reliably to the connector on the board.
I think this is precisely what the problem was. The "iffy" part was one of those mini-cable clamps. I just didn't know what to call it. it was about half out compared to the other three so I made them all equal and then really made sure that all the pins were pushed in as far as they could go. Like I said, for now it seems to be far more stable. The removable USB mod looks fantastic, though, for once I start to collect some basic electronics equipment (been meaning to get a soldering iron for a while now).

off

04 Jul 2012, 14:45

Basic soldering stuff can be had for about the price of a pizza! Mind, that's real basic kit, but workable.
Does worry me that you say 'more stable' instead of 'rocksolid'; it really should be if that was the only problem (and with a loose connectorpin like that, it could very well be).
Ps, on the terms used, I spent half the time writing that post thinking of ways to describe the parts without confusing; hence why I didn't use 'femal' and 'male' connector (some have pins sticking out of an otherwise female part etc). ;)

Enjoy your choc!

jakobcreutzfeldt

04 Jul 2012, 14:57

off wrote:Basic soldering stuff can be had for about the price of a pizza! Mind, that's real basic kit, but workable.
Oh, price was never the thing stopping me. I spend all my time programming so I just never got around to thinking of a good basic electronics project to toy with. Without a project in mind, I never thought to go pick up some basics. But, it seems that a project may have just landed on my lap (or desk, as it were).
Does worry me that you say 'more stable' instead of 'rocksolid'; it really should be if that was the only problem (and with a loose connectorpin like that, it could very well be).
You know, I was about to proudly say that since the reseating I hadn't yet had any problems, but of course, the same reset problem just happened as I was adjusting the keyboard to type this (I have the bad habit of moving around in my seat a lot, requiring me to reposition my keyboard). So, while I'll still say that it's more stable, it's unfortunately certainly not rock solid. Since I bought it used, I guess I can't complain too much (caveat emptor and such). On the bright side, it might be fun to repair it...

Enjoy your choc!
All technical problems aside, I'm loving my first real foray into mechanicals!

off

04 Jul 2012, 15:43

Awesome excuse indeed: multimeter, soldering iron, solder, solder wick, third hand, heatshrink, hot glue, pliers, knife, tape, pizza, beer; should be able to pick those up for around 60E and you're set! Ofcourse, if you want to go the full monty, having a proper soldering station and other quality tools never hurt either, except your wallet. ;)
A pic would help if you need more info, but I'm betting that with the thing in your hands it'll be quite apparent where the fault lies (esp with a multimeter). Might be good to freshen up your 'solder joint quality recognition' skills though, a broken joint is very easy to fix and detect, but when not fixed, potentially very annoying.

Half-Saint

04 Jul 2012, 17:33

Q: What's the proper way to open a Noppoo Choc Mini?

A: With a sledge hammer! har har har

MonoSky

15 Jul 2012, 17:23

Try soldering the NKRO chip again.

I had the same problem with the keyboard except it was my 5 T G B SPACE and F5 key that wasn't working ( FREAKEN I PRESSED F5 when I was typing and it erased what I was typing)

Just by looking at it or touching it won't seem like the chip is loose but when i apply some pressure on everything started working again!

Try that and tell me if it works!

Side note:
The Noppoo Choc was my first Mechanical keyboard as well!
Sad part is I thought I was getting brown switches instead they send the wrong one giving me a red switch =(
But I think I like the red switches!

Return to “Workshop”