How do I cut a cherry mx switch sized hole in a wooden plank

dsjbirch

27 Jul 2012, 22:01

I took down a set of shelves. Now I've got loadsa planks of wood.

Can I cut cherry switch sized holes into them to make a "plate"?

I guess I'd start with a drill? Then how do I make the hole square?

HzFaq

27 Jul 2012, 22:07

File?

hq1ify

28 Jul 2012, 00:13

haha

possum

28 Jul 2012, 03:35

erm, don't plate mount cherry's have little clips to go behind a thin plate? you might have to use pcb mount ones and glue them in or something.

Aside from that, hobby and fine woodworking shops should have stuff that's good for that. Coping saw, keyhole saw, files, rasps, little woodcarving chisels and gouges. I particularly recommend the latter if you get good quality ones. A hacksaw blade would probably good for getting right into the corners and making them square, maybe a mini-size one.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

28 Jul 2012, 08:08

To drill a square hole with somewhat rounded corners,
you "just" have to use the principle of the Reuleaux triangle
(on which, by the way, Wankel engines are based):

Findecanor

28 Jul 2012, 13:10

possum wrote:erm, don't plate mount cherry's have little clips to go behind a thin plate? you might have to use pcb mount ones and glue them in or something.
All Cherry MX switches have clips that snap the switch to the plate. The only difference between PCB-mount and plate-mount is that the PCB-mount switches have two tabs on the underside for locking it in special holes in the PCB. There are keyboards that have a plate and locking holes in the PCB, but they are few.
A plate should be 1.5 +/- 0.1 mm, and that is too thin for wood, but you could probably glue switches in holes in thicker planks.

I would use a drill press to drill the corners with a small drill and the centre with a larger drill. Then I would clean up the rest with a sharp chisel and some files.

Izza
Lurker Prime

11 Aug 2012, 02:34

kbdfr wrote:-snip-
That is the best thing I've seen all week. Thank you.

Return to “Workshop”