Grippy keycap with Sugru

quake4mhger

13 Aug 2012, 04:40

FYI, I'm a PC gamers, playing BF3, MW3, Arma2OA. I'm living up north of the globe, always with dry hands. I've been tried few different PBT/ABS, even with household grip stickers. But it moves from time to time, leaving residue. Currently using WASD texture keycaps, they're great! Anyway, I got this idea from a thread talking about the best keyboard feet stickers.
grippy-keycap-project-sugru-01.jpg
grippy-keycap-project-sugru-01.jpg (161.41 KiB) Viewed 3860 times
I have clay tools, soapy water, roller, something can make grips.
First try, KBC PBT blue, making control, shift keys and Naga pinky side panel. I find out that, Sugru is not like oxo good grips, not that soft and rubberize. Naga side panel, Sugru really helps when reposition my mouse ingame.
grippy-keycap-project-sugru-02.jpg
grippy-keycap-project-sugru-02.jpg (154.62 KiB) Viewed 3860 times
Second try, red keycaps from The Keyboard Company. I make them more sharp & rough. On the key "R", I even make the texture in an angle, helps me fast reload. But then after few fast pace MW3, BF3 games, they hurt my fingers lol. Too much texture!
grippy-keycap-project-sugru-03.jpg
grippy-keycap-project-sugru-03.jpg (133.34 KiB) Viewed 3860 times
Third try, KBC PBT white. This time I make the texture kinda in between the 1st & 2nd try. I feel more comfy when playing Arma2, I have to hold down keys more than 20 seconds, to lean or aim down the sight. I'm still using this version now. Notice that there is different feeling when the grip is horizontal or vertical line on naga side panel. The biggest size panel, my pinky can rest on the horizontal grip when I palm grip. while the smallest size, vertical line helps me grip my mouse easier when I claw.

Finally, You can see in the pictures, I use toothpaste cap, x acto knife and the clay tool to make texture. I Still looking around things that can make a good grip on keycaps. Anyone has more exprience with Sugru, has any suggestion would be really appreciated. I still have 2 packs Sugru left. All I need is another long weekend holidays :D

Icarium

13 Aug 2012, 14:37

Cool. :)
It seems to be a rather unusual problem that you're trying to solve but nice experiments. :)

Return to “Workshop”