Mod-log: Goupil G5 mod

sixty
Gasbag Guru

20 Mar 2011, 17:57

The goal here is to mod this Goupil keyboard to something not as silly as the AZERTY layout. I figured I had not enough keyboards with MX Blues and too many Dolch computers. So....

Next up, I had this custom steel-plate for a G80-3000 laying around since a few weeks. These were custom made in Korea a few years ago, since Cherry never made any plate mounted G80-3000/1000. I also still had a two more spare PCBs from the Chinese Reuters G80s that I imported from Taiwan. You may remember them from this mod or probably got to enjoy some keycaps from them, if you ever purchased any double shots from me in the past!

Put it all together. Switches, custom metal plate, PCB, blue LEDs.

Now I really wished to finish this mod over the weekend, but luck was not on my side. Turns out that if you use these custom plates on a G80-1000 you have to grind down the case a bit, since the G80-1000 case by default was not made to support the thick metal plate.

These are the parts that have to be grinded down by 2mm each. Picture courtesy of Sunny on OTD.

On a journey to build the most stable G80 ever... to continued.

keyboardlover

20 Mar 2011, 18:02

Awesome mod! Really looking forward to see how this turns out.

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Mar 2011, 18:05

I figured I had not enough keyboards with MX Blues
And how many might that be? :mrgreen:

sixty
Gasbag Guru

20 Mar 2011, 18:07

webwit wrote:
I figured I had not enough keyboards with MX Blues
And how many might that be? :mrgreen:
I'm not sure, but not that many! Since I usually prefer Cherry Black, I kinda stopped keeping blue boards. I figured I had enough G80s with Blacks, which is why I chose to go with MX Blues on this one.

That and they feel funny on metal plates!

mass

22 Mar 2011, 08:22

sixty wrote: These are the parts that have to be grinded down by 2mm each. Picture courtesy of Sunny on OTD.
It says on the picture, not 2mm, but 3mm. (in Korean text)
You better double check with Sunny on OTD.
Good luck. ;)

sixty
Gasbag Guru

22 Mar 2011, 15:57

mass wrote:
sixty wrote: These are the parts that have to be grinded down by 2mm each. Picture courtesy of Sunny on OTD.
It says on the picture, not 2mm, but 3mm. (in Korean text)
You better double check with Sunny on OTD.
Good luck. ;)
Thanks for the heads up! I hope I can figure out a way to fit this. It would annoy me if I did all the soldering twice and it can't fit ;)

Peter

22 Mar 2011, 16:56

and too many Dolch computers
To many Dolch computers ?
For some reason, that statement reminds me of this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eDaSvRO9xA

Anyway, if you need some space, I'm in the market for a PAC60-keyboard ..

sixty
Gasbag Guru

22 Mar 2011, 17:03

Peter wrote:
and too many Dolch computers
To many Dolch computers ?
For some reason, that statement reminds me of this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eDaSvRO9xA

Anyway, if you need some space, I'm in the market for a PAC60-keyboard ..
Heh - Sorry, I keep the keyboards! What I need to get rid of is the computers :D

sixty
Gasbag Guru

23 Mar 2011, 21:42

Turns out grinding down a case is not as easy as it sounds. May have to use the Dremel after all.

Half-Saint

11 Apr 2011, 11:10

What's this? No updates? :)

sixty
Gasbag Guru

12 Apr 2011, 12:28

Still can't fit the plate. I have to practice on another G80-1000 case first, since I don't want to ruin this one.

Return to “Workshop”