Cherry to Alps adapters

Batmann

02 Mar 2013, 22:46

I'm following this very closely, my only worry is the increased height
I didn't receive my matias switches yet so my question might be silly but would it be possible to design an alp slider/stem with a cherry top?

Mrinterface

02 Mar 2013, 23:34

Batmann wrote:I'm following this very closely, my only worry is the increased height
I didn't receive my matias switches yet so my question might be silly but would it be possible to design an alp slider/stem with a cherry top?
That's not a silly question....

But for this to work, you would need a new upper Alps housing as well with more room for the cherrycap cross to enter the alps housing. I could be wrong, so if you could double check and post here , that would be marvelous.. :-)

calavera

03 Mar 2013, 00:22

Both the cherry stem and alps stem have about the same height. If you were to make an alps slider with cherry stem I think the height would be about the same.

Mrinterface

03 Mar 2013, 00:27

Yes, but the cherry mx-cap stem is meant to sink into the switch.... Alps don't do that.

calavera

03 Mar 2013, 02:00

Oh I see what you mean. The cherry switch housing has a oval shape cut out at the top for the stem to go in. Yeah you're right, the alps switch housing will need to be modified. You could really just take the top housing and use a drill. All you need is about 0.5mm on top and bottom each. Hope that makes sense.

Batmann

03 Mar 2013, 13:43

I'll try to contribute as soon as I get my matias switches, I still didn't have the chance to put my hands on an alps so I understand what you said but I'll have a better idea when I see it in person.
That would definitely open new horizons

Batmann

03 Mar 2013, 14:23

Well I skimmed through phetto's thread who intended to make a custom alps board.
I think that's a great idea, that would be something new for a change.
My understanding of the pb is that it won't gather enough interest unless it's compatible with cherry mx caps which already have a vast market.
So the first step would be to adapt the alps switch. It will then be easy to modify pins footprint on all the custom PCBs released or still developing and rerun them alps compatible.
In other words I hope we can achieve this mod and I'm 100% ready to get involved!
I'll get to it as soon as I get my matias

ray4jc

11 Jun 2013, 19:04

Any updates on this?

Mrinterface

12 Jun 2013, 10:28

ray4jc wrote:Any updates on this?
Project is currently on hold until I find time to pick it up again.

Mrinterface

22 Aug 2014, 01:08

Schermafbeelding 2014-08-22 om 01.00.58.png
Schermafbeelding 2014-08-22 om 01.00.58.png (139.21 KiB) Viewed 9683 times
Kudos for the person who guesses the reason for the cherry to cherry mount....

Muirium
µ

22 Aug 2014, 01:15

For 7bit's all important Hyper7's top rows?

Or maybe you don't mean MX to MX, but one of Cherry's other mounts.

Am I right in guessing the other two are: Topre to MX caps, and Topre to Alps caps adapters?

rklm

22 Aug 2014, 03:12

Are the Cherry to Cherry adapters for keyboards with both kinds of switches, to make them all the same profile?

Also, WHEN?!

These would make the world a significantly better place... for a few at least!

Kurk

22 Aug 2014, 08:15

Cherry-to-Cherry: off-center caps lock?

Muirium
µ

22 Aug 2014, 15:03

Or a spin on that idea: off centre for G81 mods to fit on MX keyboards? That's be pretty handy. Although I wonder how stable it feels.

Nuum

22 Aug 2014, 15:30

Maybe the Cherry to Cherry mount is for keyboards with mixed switches (Alps and Cherry MX) to keep them all on the same height when using a Cherry MX Keyset?

7bit

22 Aug 2014, 15:34

These are for Cherry stabilisers to be used with Cherry keys when using the extenders for the Alps switches.

The use of extenders for the Hyper7 is not necessary, because the keyboard will look like this from the side:
Image :o

Mrinterface

22 Aug 2014, 19:50

The MX to MX-alike adapters are for my vintage home-made Memotech MTX Keyboard replacement... :-)

Also -> if I'm not mistaken, BBC Micro keyboard keycaps can then also be fitted to either Cherry MX or Alps. I will check when I get the adapters....

When is it ready? I'll have the adapters shipped from Shapeways next week. I designed the adapters in slightly varying sizes to check what the best fit would be. Then I'll create separate adapter grids you can order at Shapeways. I think I'll create grids with 120 adapters so you guys would have some spares :-)

beltet

24 Aug 2014, 19:27

This is going to be interesting to follow.

Daniel Beardsmore

24 Aug 2014, 20:09

Mrinterface wrote: Also -> if I'm not mistaken, BBC Micro keyboard keycaps can then also be fitted to either Cherry MX or Alps. I will check when I get the adapters....
The Futaba keycaps don't fit Cherry MX switches (I've just tried one), and the PED switches are hollow square mount. I am not aware that Cherry MX and SMK are compatible, but I don't have any SMK linear keycaps around to test with.

Mrinterface

28 Aug 2014, 14:13

Let the games begin!!!!!
Keyboard_adapters_1.jpg
Keyboard_adapters_1.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 9465 times

Mrinterface

28 Aug 2014, 14:30

Muirium
µ

28 Aug 2014, 14:35

Our MX caps on Matias switches dreams are about to come true???

andrewjoy

28 Aug 2014, 14:54

Northgate double shots on a cherry :)

Halvar

28 Aug 2014, 15:57

Ridin' hiiigh ... great, can't wait to test these when they're done.

Oh, by the way, from now on Big Ass Return needs to be part of all our keycap GBs!

Mrinterface

28 Aug 2014, 16:59

Schermafbeelding 2014-08-28 om 16.56.58.png
Schermafbeelding 2014-08-28 om 16.56.58.png (75.31 KiB) Viewed 9412 times
Ordered them as 'loose' parts, so unconnected adapters...

Now we have to wait another week before shapeways delivers :-)

ray4jc

07 Sep 2014, 03:43

Keeping an eye on this!

Mrinterface

11 Sep 2014, 18:10

Adapters_shapeways_v1.png
Adapters_shapeways_v1.png (6.94 MiB) Viewed 9325 times

ndrr

07 Oct 2014, 21:42

I'm excited about the prospect of cherry to cherry adapters, I've been looking for a way to raise my control keys for palm pressing and this seems perfect!

Mrinterface

07 Oct 2014, 21:44

ndrr wrote: I'm excited about the prospect of cherry to cherry adapters, I've been looking for a way to raise my control keys for palm pressing and this seems perfect!
I like the idea!

scottc

07 Oct 2014, 21:47

How well do the adapters work? I totally missed the fact that they had arrived! Very excited to hear results.

Return to “Workshop”