[Tutorial] Remove shipping labels - Oldest trick in the book

sixty
Gasbag Guru

02 Feb 2011, 20:33

If you order a lot of keyboards on eBay and are a collector, you might know this problem. I usually tell eBay sellers that I am a collector, and request additional shipping boxes around the main box (when buying NIB or goods in original box).

So the day comes and I am happily awaiting my new rare keyboard, then I get this at my door:

Re-Packaging request blatantly ignored again. Anyway, there is hope!

What you need:
* Lighter
* Hair-dryer / low temperature heat gun

The first step is to take your lighter and "rub" the flame a bit around on the edges on the shipping label. Don't do this for too long, and always keep the flame in motion. You don't want burn marks on your box. After a few seconds, grab an edge of the label with your finger nail. Once you got a good start, its time to get the hair dryer out. While gently pulling the label, apply more hot air with the hair dryer under the shipping label. This is hard to explain, but obviously easier than it sounds in written form. Be careful, the air is actually hot. Don't be a wussy and man up!

Be sure to do this very slowly. Even with a lot of hot air, some labels still tend to rip off parts of the box cardboard. So take your time.

There you go! As good as new. Note that the keyboard used in this tutorial is a pretty shitty keyboard and I only used it to demonstrate this ancient technique. Enjoy!

ynih

03 Feb 2011, 03:55

I think Sixty's way of preserving the original keyboard box's graphics a GREAT way to save an otherwise ruined collector's item. However, if you're just trying to re-use boxes, and want to make your re-use'd box look neat, you can use a box cutter or razor blade and trace a thin line around the outside edges of the label. Once complete, use the razor blade to peel a corner of the label and the entire label should come off the box without anymore of the box adhering to the label.

RiGS

15 Feb 2011, 21:41

wow nice

kidchunks

25 Feb 2011, 17:01

Just happened to me, bought a NIB silver label 86 31 and the seller didn't repackage it. Hopefully this method will work for me.

webwit
Wild Duck

25 Feb 2011, 17:24

kidchunks wrote:bought a NIB silver label 86 31 and the seller didn't repackage it

sixty
Gasbag Guru

25 Feb 2011, 21:03

"it's just a keyboard!!"

(actual seller quote from before)

mass

28 Feb 2011, 17:44

Well, I also use this trick for removing the cherry label under the keyboard when I spray painting the case.
Never imagine this would work with a cardboard box. Thanks.

SmokinWaffle

04 Mar 2011, 14:56

Impressive, whenever I do this I rip it, no matter what I do. Perhaps I'm just ham-fisted. :(

acfrazier
Mad Scientist

05 Mar 2011, 18:25

kidchunks wrote:Just happened to me, bought a NIB silver label 86 31 and the seller didn't repackage it. Hopefully this method will work for me.
ಠ_ಠ

Sainesk

05 Mar 2011, 21:43

"it's just a keyboard!!"
:o no he didn't?

I bet if I used that as my sig here i'd find myself beaten with a keyboard within the week...

NewGuy

06 Mar 2011, 05:20

Thanks for the tip!

Now what do you do about the ink on the side of the box, as a collector?

espritsc

06 Mar 2011, 08:55

Man, that's skill. I've never managed to take off the labels without damaging the packaging.

I<3Cherries

09 Mar 2011, 08:05

Thanks a lot, just what I was looking for :D

- Kyle

British

09 Mar 2011, 13:05

I've been using something like that for years:

Half-Saint

10 Mar 2011, 14:19

Usually cardboard and liquids don't mix

Ekaros

10 Mar 2011, 22:59

British wrote:I've been using something like that for years:
Nice one it got text in finnish too ;D

I'm not too intrest in boxes myself, thank fully... I do have original Filco one though just for transportation...

Daniel Beaver

11 Mar 2011, 00:35

sixty wrote:"it's just a keyboard!!"

JBert

11 Mar 2011, 01:35

Well, at least you got the box in acceptable shape. Last keyboard I received was wrapped in some cardboard used to ship notebooks. :)

As you correctly explained, the real trick here is the heat. However, the way you heat the sticker with a flame scares me a bit. I have removed some stickers from flat surfaces by heating a metal object like a frying pan and then bringing it in contact with the sticker.

prava

12 Mar 2011, 19:32

JBert wrote:Well, at least you got the box in acceptable shape. Last keyboard I received was wrapped in some cardboard used to ship notebooks. :)

As you correctly explained, the real trick here is the heat. However, the way you heat the sticker with a flame scares me a bit. I have removed some stickers from flat surfaces by heating a metal object like a frying pan and then bringing it in contact with the sticker.
Plenty of stickers are plastified, so a bit of lighter-heat won't burn them. But beware, too much is too much :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

javifast

18 Mar 2011, 08:07

Good trick. And cheap ;)

Jimmeh

18 Mar 2011, 17:39

Thanks, i'll certainly use this trick in the distant future.

Ascaii
The Beard

20 Jun 2011, 14:49

thank you very much sixty, helped me today with this trick. Success!

Return to “Workshop”