chording keyboard project

Okeg

15 Sep 2013, 22:55

Well, what can one say? I got struck by RSI, researched keyboards and now I want to create a built-to-fit alternative to the 'flatboard'. Same old story.

IMHO there's two unfixable issues with the 'flatboard'.
1. Reaching distance.
2. Too many damn keys for one hand.

I first researched the datahand, it does (obviously) fix the reaching distance problem, but there is too many keys on it(read: IMO). Thus, west and east functions poorly(atleast compared to the other directions.)

Thus, my idea is to (attempt to) build a datahand-like chording keyboard.

However, I am having embarassing problem. Could anyone recommend me a switch to use? I was first looking at the saia burgess G3M1T1PUL, but since it is out of production I really have no idea of what to choose.

Muirium
µ

15 Sep 2013, 23:11

Interesting. I have literally never heard of that switch. It's not something I've seen in the keyboarding world.

The go to switch for custom keyboards is Cherry MX. Because of availability (7bit has a group buy on this forum, for 54 Euro cents a switch), immense choice of caps, and the fact there's a whole lineup of them with different characteristics. For ergo keyboards, the top choice is usually red:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX_Red

Are you after something with shorter travel?

Okeg

16 Sep 2013, 00:15

Muirium wrote:Interesting. I have literally never heard of that switch. It's not something I've seen in the keyboarding world.

The go to switch for custom keyboards is Cherry MX. Because of availability (7bit has a group buy on this forum, for 54 Euro cents a switch), immense choice of caps, and the fact there's a whole lineup of them with different characteristics. For ergo keyboards, the top choice is usually red:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX_Red

Are you after something with shorter travel?
Don't worry. I'm familiar with the mx series.
More keyboard related use of the Sb switch can be found at tim tyler's page(http://mykeyboard.co.uk/microswitch/) I was afraid of linking to it since it often derails threads.
I need: short travel distance, extremely light switches. thus the Sb seemed perfect.

Vierax

16 Sep 2013, 01:53

if it can help you, for a ddr metal pad I used Omron SS-01 it's long lived and tiny.

Muirium
µ

16 Sep 2013, 14:34

Okeg wrote: Don't worry. I'm familiar with the mx series.
Oops, my bad!

So you're after something with the short sharp feel of microswitches, eh. The last time I heard anyone mention that it was 7bit joking about the ever more legendary qHack:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/the ... ml#p124597

Okeg

17 Sep 2013, 10:05

Muirium wrote:
Okeg wrote: Don't worry. I'm familiar with the mx series.
Oops, my bad!

So you're after something with the short sharp feel of microswitches, eh. The last time I heard anyone mention that it was 7bit joking about the ever more legendary qHack:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/the ... ml#p124597
Hmm. Those keys seems sufficient.

Okeg

19 Sep 2013, 09:27

Update: I've ordered 30 of the microswitches.

Muirium
µ

19 Sep 2013, 13:00

So, how do you actuate them? Where are the caps?

Okeg

19 Sep 2013, 15:48

Muirium wrote:So, how do you actuate them? Where are the caps?
I am planning to use curved plastic pieces instead of keycaps(imagine only having the "letter" part of a keycap.), and sticking them onto the microswitches. The rest of the design is quite similar to the datahand.
My next problem is wether to use down, north, south as my homerow. I think i'll go for down, since that's the most portable opinion(A thumb cluster with south and north seems weird..)

Muirium
µ

19 Sep 2013, 16:18

Right, I get where you're going now. This could be quite intriguing.

The DataHand is an epic design in many ways. Its magnetic switches are one of the most interesting things about it. Keep us appraised with how you go about a similar layout using microswitches. Could be the blueprint for the DataHand for the rest of us.

Okeg

19 Sep 2013, 16:25

Muirium wrote:Right, I get where you're going now. This could be quite intriguing.

The DataHand is an epic design in many ways. Its magnetic switches are one of the most interesting things about it. Keep us appraised with how you go about a similar layout using microswitches. Could be the blueprint for the DataHand for the rest of us.
Wow, thanks for your kind words. I plan on releasing every part of info I get to the public. However, I thin the "blueprint for the DataHand" is the "DoDoHand" which is made over at geekhack, they are way more skilled than me.

Thanks for reminding me about the magnets, I forgot to write about them in my previous post. I am afraid of meeting complications with the low accutation force of the microswitches, however, I think i'll manage without magnets seeing how tim tylers project(whom uses even lighter switches) managed just fine.

Muirium
µ

19 Sep 2013, 17:38

The DodoHand? I must read up on that one.

Anyway, there's so many variables at play in radical ergo design that every attempt is worth documenting exactly because it will be different.

Okeg

19 Sep 2013, 17:42

Muirium wrote:The DodoHand? I must read up on that one.

Anyway, there's so many variables at play in radical ergo design that every attempt is worth documenting exactly because it will be different.
Yes. I plan to write a thesis styled paper on this creation and the reason for the design.

Okeg

23 Sep 2013, 12:53

*Fingers crossed*
Hope the switches will arrive this week.

Btw, is there any option to write the drivers in lisp? The teensy seems nice but I don't like the c-like languages.

Okeg

29 Sep 2013, 19:52

Good news! The switches are present in my house.
And i've decided to name it Englboard. Any respectable geek should understand the meaning behind this name. R.I.P Douglas!

Now, here's the to-do list:
-Make a case for the switches.
-Come up with something that can act as keys.
-Program the teensy.
-Make the handrest(any suggestions, papier mache?).
-Write a thesis(IMHO the best part).

I hope I can pull this off, it would be a great feeling to finally give something back to this wonderful community!

PJE

30 Sep 2013, 00:53

Okeg wrote:Good news! The switches are present in my house.
And i've decided to name it Englboard. Any respectable geek should understand the meaning behind this name. R.I.P Douglas!

Now, here's the to-do list:
-Make a case for the switches.
-Come up with something that can act as keys.
-Program the teensy.
-Make the handrest(any suggestions, papier mache?).
-Write a thesis(IMHO the best part).

I hope I can pull this off, it would be a great feeling to finally give something back to this wonderful community!
I used a Teensy 2.0 to convert an old Cykey I had lying around into a USB keyboard. I can send you my code (although the Teensy libraries do most of the work). It uses 7 keys (three for the thumb).

I've just finished the PCB for a new coding keyboard I'm playing with. It uses 13 keys (four x2 keys and nine x1). I've designed it around Cherry MX Red keys, but I'm not sure if the keys will be comfortable, the CyKey uses simple TACT switches with piano style key caps.

Regards,

PJE

pyro

30 Sep 2013, 12:45

Will this be a steno-keyboard or a press multiple keys to generate 1 character type of thing? If it's the former, maybe Plover* might come in handy.

* http://stenoknight.com/wiki/Main_Page

PJE

01 Oct 2013, 00:10

pyro wrote:Will this be a steno-keyboard or a press multiple keys to generate 1 character type of thing? If it's the former, maybe Plover* might come in handy.

* http://stenoknight.com/wiki/Main_Page
It's a fully programmable chording keyboard, but with additional keys to cut down on complex multi-finger chords. It would allow microwriter style chording plus additional macros and key combinations. The design is symmetrical, and I was considering the ability to use one in each hand, although for simplicity it may act as two separate keyboards, reducing the multi-finger chords even more.

Each of the double keys on the inside can be replaced with two single keys, depending on the application.

I'm looking at macros to allow quicker text entry for C programming.

I have two designs, one with the Teensy on the same side as the keys, and a second arrangement with the Teensy embedded underneath.

Both designs are single sided roughly 10cm x 10cm PCBs, using Cherry MX components.

PJE

nourathar

02 Oct 2013, 18:02

wow, plover is very interesting, thanks for that link.

and PJE, just checking, but I suppose you are familiar with the CyKey ?
http://www.cykey.co.uk/

What would the difference be between what you want to develop and their product ?

ciao,

J.

PJE

03 Oct 2013, 00:07

nourathar wrote:wow, plover is very interesting, thanks for that link.

and PJE, just checking, but I suppose you are familiar with the CyKey ?
http://www.cykey.co.uk/

What would the difference be between what you want to develop and their product ?

ciao,

J.
The main difference is the number of keys. I modified one of the older non-Ir keyboards they made a few 10+ years ago. I like the microwriter chording basis, but with relatively few keys you have to use some not so ergonomic (for me) key combinations, together with a multitude of modes.

Adding two or more keys for each of the first three fingers leaves the little finger to perform simpler movements. Also, typing numeric values would be easier as you basically have a modified number pad to start with.

I've just modified the design to have a PCB the same size as the keys, with the Teensy mounted underneath. I have a number of Cherry MX switches and the various shaped caps to validate the arrangement before I order the PCBs.

Hopefully, I'll soon be at the programming stage, at which point I'll probably build two and build in a two handed chording mode similar to the Plover concept, but targeted at a more letter based data entry.

The current design uses a input for each switch, which means you can have lots of chords...

I'll keep you posted on the progress.

PJE

Okeg

05 Oct 2013, 17:31

Finally, i'm back! I've been having a bunch of personal problems, but now they're all sorted out.

Pyro: It will not be a steno board, it ill be a chording board, as in key+key = key.

PJE: Nice to see that someone else is also taking a different approach to the chording technology, also; I would gladly revieve a the cykey code.

Progress so far on the englboard; I have the switches, and I will proceed with making the "case".

Return to “Workshop”