How to clean rubber parts that stink?

7bit

25 Sep 2013, 15:05

We have here some rare fule stations where there is no self-service, but I'm always quicker than them. Don't like them spilling fuel on the bodywork, or filling in the wrong quality.

Some years ago, Shell had some service where people could decide themselves. They also did window cleaning or even oil checking etc., like in the old days ...
Don't know how it is now.

Topre Enthusiast

25 Sep 2013, 15:22

Yeah those days are long gone even here. Petrol stations are all self-serve now.
Maybe in some rural areas you might get the old-fashioned service but certainly not in metro or reasonably populated regional areas.

Vierax

25 Sep 2013, 18:56

7bit wrote: We have Aldi here as well, but I only buy there toilet paper and these: Image.
Schokolade :) these stores are traps for people like me.

Game Theory
Mr. Despair

25 Sep 2013, 20:02

002 wrote:Yeah those days are long gone even here. Petrol stations are all self-serve now.
Maybe in some rural areas you might get the old-fashioned service but certainly not in metro or reasonably populated regional areas.
In some US states its mandatory full service instead of self service. Not knowing this always results in me getting out of the car and grabbing the pump handle and then an older man comes running out and says "Wait" or "Stop". Always a tad embarrassing.

7bit

25 Sep 2013, 20:11

Nobody ever stopped me. If they where careful I didn't mind, but usually they are not.

My RollermouseStink 2 parts are now bathing in coffee for 24 hours. When should I take them out?

ne0phyte
Toast.

25 Sep 2013, 20:22

I'd leave them in there for 48-72h - the longer the better :P

7bit

25 Sep 2013, 22:34

OK, thanks.
Attachments
7BIT_MODE_in_coffee.jpg
7BIT_MODE_in_coffee.jpg (165.26 KiB) Viewed 3456 times

ne0phyte
Toast.

03 Oct 2013, 13:59

Any update on this? Did it work for you with the rubber parts?

Game Theory
Mr. Despair

03 Oct 2013, 14:59

It helped a lot on my IBM 5251. I had it in a box with the coffee, not immersed. Have it back in the box for a second and hopefully final dose. Left the coffee in my car for a day while I was at work it smelled like coffee for about a week.

ne0phyte
Toast.

03 Oct 2013, 15:05

Once the coffee smell is gone, the smoke smell should be gone, too!

dirge

04 Oct 2013, 11:32

Vierax wrote:
7bit wrote: We have Aldi here as well, but I only buy there toilet paper and these: Image.
Schokolade :) these stores are traps for people like me.

Is that nice? I want some, start a chocolate group buy!

Muirium
µ

04 Oct 2013, 12:01

How about a try-before-you-buy "Chocolates of Europe" tour? I'll supply the Tunnocks.
Of course, unlike keyboards, caps and switches, there's always the chance that someone will eat the lot before we're done.

dirge

04 Oct 2013, 12:19

maybe not british as such but i love em

kbdfr
The Tiproman

04 Oct 2013, 14:39

Please stay on topic, woudl you?

Muirium
µ

04 Oct 2013, 14:50

Oh man, is that a sweet ergo!

Return to “Workshop”