Help me refining the Midnight set

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Dec 2013, 13:06

This will (hopefully) be part of a soon to come set I'm working on since some time now. It will be released in a new way I can't talk about, but it will be soon revealed.

If you fancy it, please let me know what you think about it, and if you have suggestions please speak your mind.

Midnight set

Options

Custom keys

Spoiler:
Midnight-one set (a variant I don't like much, but people seem to go in division-by-zero if they don't have mods darker than alphas)

I don't think it will be a "huge" success, I'd be happy if it reaches the 50-100 tier. This will be ABS doubleshot and I'm still torn between DSA and DCS.

Please note that I'm still working on the beige/PBT/DSA set, that will start as soon as I receive the greenlight from SP.
Last edited by matt3o on 23 Dec 2013, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

23 Dec 2013, 13:26

Ah, the Midnight Set. Naturally, just to be difficult, I much prefer Fog:

Midnight's nice, and if it's priced right I wouldn't even rule out sneaking in for one. But the PBT DSA beige set you're working on is the one I'm really after. It'll be the DSA to rule them all!

A natural addition to Midnight's special keys would be a bat. In fact, I'm getting all Halloween the more I think about it…

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Dec 2013, 13:50

yeah I thought about the bat (or the black cat) but I didn't want to make it too "halloween" :)

Re fog vs midnight I like the fog too but you know... people seemed to like midnight, so.

scottc

23 Dec 2013, 13:58

I think that a slightly less bold red colour would look better in the Option set.

I don't really know anything about actual possible keycap colours but from the options available in the keyboard-layout-editor selections, the Signature Plastics ABS RAC or RAS colour might work.

Muirium
µ

23 Dec 2013, 14:01

RAS tastic:
I must admit I have a thing for red. RAS is Round 5's exact red colour, thanks to these Honeywell caps.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Dec 2013, 14:05

good point. update coming in 3... 2...

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Dec 2013, 14:10

Instead of the 00:01 set I'll add a mods option

Last edited by matt3o on 23 Dec 2013, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.

Findecanor

23 Dec 2013, 14:41

The crescent moon symbol could be confused with a Sleep key, for which a crescent moon (without stars) is often used.
A crescent moon with a star is also the motif on the flag of Turkey.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Dec 2013, 14:45

Color chips. I'd actually like a slightly higher contrast between the two dark-blues. Can someone with the ABS color ring chime in?

Findecanor wrote:The crescent moon symbol could be confused with a Sleep key, for which a crescent moon (without stars) is often used.
A crescent moon with a star is also the motif on the flag of Turkey.
Turkey's flag is very different. Good point about the "sleep" key, I don't see it as a show stopper, but if you have other ideas, please share!

Muirium
µ

23 Dec 2013, 17:38

I wouldn't worry about the crescent moon. I'd put it on my sleep key, of course! And Turkey does have one of the best flags (unlike most our boring tricolours).
matt3o wrote:Color chips. I'd actually like a slightly higher contrast between the two dark-blues. Can someone with the ABS color ring chime in?

I took pictures of the entire ABS set when I had it. The blues are arranged by code right here:
All the rest are on the Round 5 colours thread.

If you fancy doing some OAS caps sometime, I could put them on my Ducky!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

23 Dec 2013, 17:48

I have very high quality well calibrated pictures for all color chips. Someone at GH did a really good job few months ago. But nothing is like having the chips in your hands. It would be great if someone with the color ring could put together the midnight colors and take a picture (GB + GEW + YBP + VCO).

It seems GEW and GB are really too close together. Wondering if there's another dark-blue combo we could use (note that they are rated as grays not blues)

Vierax

24 Dec 2013, 00:39

Muirium, my screen is not so well calibrated but your picture is really saturated in Red and the contrast is too much dark (gamma problem?).
Matt, who took the picture ? what's is its licence ? can I download it in reference ?

Calmdepths uses BFR, it stays a bit green. In a more blueish way BBI seems nice too but I don't think it will go with VCO. There is also BED, which is nearest from the greenest mod you posted this afternoon.
I think YBP legends on VCO caps may lacks contrast, something more reddish like OAS could improve that and stays readable on dark caps.

Muirium
µ

24 Dec 2013, 00:46

I'll blame my camera overcompensating for the bluish Scottish winter days! The white paper background is a good pure white though, if anyone wants to balance the pictures themselves. But as Matt said, there's solid stats available on the entire set now that someone put them through a proper scanning.

lcs

24 Dec 2013, 00:48

Lots of interest!

Liked both variants and *really* liked those custom keys!

BTW, edox kit possible?
Last edited by lcs on 24 Dec 2013, 02:10, edited 1 time in total.

Vierax

24 Dec 2013, 00:58

Muirium wrote:I'll blame my camera overcompensating for the bluish Scottish winter days!
I think it's the same in all the Northern Oceanic Europe, especially our rainy lands ;)
Sorry I just remember that I setted the brightness very low because of #FFFFFF websites as DT or WP :roll:

Dubsgalore

24 Dec 2013, 01:04

http://i.imgur.com/krN4VVF.png

I like that one, but without the red wasd. the enter is a very nice touch (y)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Dec 2013, 10:21

Vierax wrote:Matt, who took the picture ? what's is its licence ? can I download it in reference ?
yes you can use it as a reference (but you can't say it is yours :P)
Vierax wrote:Calmdepths uses BFR, it stays a bit green. In a more blueish way BBI seems nice too but I don't think it will go with VCO. There is also BED, which is nearest from the greenest mod you posted this afternoon.
I think YBP legends on VCO caps may lacks contrast, something more reddish like OAS could improve that and stays readable on dark caps.
thanks a ton, I'll give it a shot and let you know.
lcs wrote:Lots of interest!

Liked both variants and *really* liked those custom keys!

BTW, edox kit possible?
Cool, this should be available in January. Ergo dox? I dunno, maybe if there's interest.
Dubsgalore wrote:http://i.imgur.com/krN4VVF.png

I like that one, but without the red wasd. the enter is a very nice touch (y)
WASD is optional of course

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Dec 2013, 10:57

I made some more tests with colors.

BFR is pretty desaturated (which is good for this GB) but it's almost purplish and doesn't go very well with VCO. BED is very nice but it's nothing special together with GB. The only alternative would be to go dark blue instead of dark cold-gray.

I thought VCO and YBP were too light to stay together, but the contrast is pretty good actually.

It would be incredibly useful if I could see GB + GEW + YBP + VCO in the same shot...

Muirium
µ

24 Dec 2013, 11:11

Unfortunately, I don't have the set any more. (Just a quick loan.) I'm surprised you don't have a keeper, though, what with being a regular GB organiser now. I think it was $35 from SP. Might as well grab ABS and PBT, they'll both be useful!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Dec 2013, 11:15

Muirium wrote:Unfortunately, I don't have the set any more. (Just a quick loan.) I'm surprised you don't have a keeper, though, what with being a regular GB organiser now. I think it was $35 from SP. Might as well grab ABS and PBT, they'll both be useful!
I have PBT. I'll get the ABS as well. It wasn't available last time I checked.

Muirium
µ

24 Dec 2013, 12:06

My loaner (it's complicated…) arrived direct from SP a few weeks ago. So they should be good now. It did take a while to ship, though.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Dec 2013, 12:09

Muirium wrote:My loaner (it's complicated…) arrived direct from SP a few weeks ago. So they should be good now. It did take a while to ship, though.
I know the shit. Unfortunately the project this set is bound to starts very soon and I'm a bit in a hurry.

Muirium
µ

24 Dec 2013, 14:50

I think 7bit has a set. PM him to pose the appropriate chips for his new Nikon. If you show enough interest in his camera, he'll probably oblige!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

24 Dec 2013, 15:06

good tactic :)

fireglow

25 Dec 2013, 01:13

Looks gorgeous!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Dec 2013, 19:16

Complete set. Hope I did everything right.

Vierax

25 Dec 2013, 19:28

Nice ! Phosphorescent caps is a really great idea :)

I think you forgot the AltGr legend for ISO.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Dec 2013, 19:40

not a high priority I think, but if people need it... sure, why not.

still undecided about the profile, I would like to make this standard DCS, but they keep asking for SA... so...

Muirium
µ

25 Dec 2013, 19:46

The PBT set you're working on is the SA. This one's too soon to Round 5. Three SA GBs is too much, and would ruin me besides!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

25 Dec 2013, 19:58

Muirium wrote:The PBT set you're working on is the SA.
DSA
Muirium wrote:This one's too soon to Round 5. Three SA GBs is too much, and would ruin me besides!
yep a lot of SA lately. we had enough.

midnight had to go DCS or DSA.

Return to “Workshop”