Goldilocks reduced size

jbl

30 Dec 2013, 19:17

Reading through the workshop posts and experimenting with KeyRemap4Macbook has got me thinking about building my own compact keyboard. Some of the 40% keyboards seem a little daunting to me, so I started thinking about a layout that would be smaller than a 60% layout, but would reduce the amount of modifier usage. I don't think I totally cracked the nut, but here's what I've come up with so far (yes, it's Dvorak layout).
Screen Shot 2013-12-30 at 1.02.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-12-30 at 1.02.48 PM.png (33.75 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
The goals were:
[*]Don't eff with the stagger too much
[*]Accommodate my own body assymetry: Longer right arm and fingers
[*]Modifiers sized for the way I use them now
[*]Not make programming a chore

I ran into a tough time shortening the right side to match the left, so I decided to keep it the way it is and just use the extra space for oft-used symbols. Since the idea will be to have some tent to the main alphanumeric block, I was thinking the enter/shift column(s) could lay flat on the desk surface. The right side could have a similar flat section with LEDs for Fn, Num, and caps lock.

I've emulated some features with KR4MB and .... actually quite like it!

Any comments and thoughts on how to improve the layout or start building would be immensely appreciated. Thanks!

scottc

30 Dec 2013, 19:22

Interesting! A bit more ambitious than my own ideas, but looks very cool regardless. Is the blue button on the right side a space ordoyouplantotalklikethisforever? :P And is Nm a Function key? It seems a little daunting to me, but that's probably partially due to never having used Dvorak before.

jbl

30 Dec 2013, 19:30

scottc wrote:Interesting! A bit more ambitious than my own ideas, but looks very cool regardless. Is the blue button on the right side a space ordoyouplantotalklikethisforever? :P And is Nm a Function key? It seems a little daunting to me, but that's probably partially due to never having used Dvorak before.
I think you might be reacting to the Dvorak layout if you've never seen it. Just imagine the alpha block to look like QWERTY :-)

Yes, rightside blue key is a space. Nm is a function key and triggers the "numpad" layer which is shown on the righthand legends on each key. The legends work as follows:

Code: Select all

+--------------------+
|Shift       Shift+Nm|
|                    |
|                    |
|                    |
|                    |
|NoMod             Nm|
+--------------------+
|                    |
|         Fn         |
|                    |
+--------------------+
Edit with a bit more info:
[*] Ctrl/Esc works as follows: Tap Ctrl to get Esc. Using as a modifier with another key makes it work like Ctrl.
[*] Double tapping Fn or Nm will trigger function or numlock, respectively

scottc

30 Dec 2013, 20:01

Aha, alright. That makes more sense now. I was also a bit confused by the lack of number keys, but I hadn't realised that you're using the numpad block for that. Very interesting! If nothing, you'll save a lot of money on keycaps. :P

Since it seems that you're a Mac person, it probably won't bother you that Ctrl-Esc is a Windows shortcut for Winkey.

jbl

30 Dec 2013, 20:06

scottc wrote:Since it seems that you're a Mac person, it probably won't bother you that Ctrl-Esc is a Windows shortcut for Winkey.
Ha. I didn't know that. I guess you could do a similar thing with shift and do Shift/Esc instead of Ctrl/Esc.

Return to “Workshop”