Miniguru progress

lowpoly

11 Jul 2014, 20:31

Here's a side view:

It's a little bit higher in the back than it looks here.

Muirium
µ

11 Jul 2014, 20:38

Sweet! The case ought to be interesting.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

18 Jul 2014, 14:58

lowpoly wrote: Here's a side view:

That looks beautiful so far. Thanks for your efforts.

mSSM

31 Jul 2014, 12:13

lowpoly wrote: Here's a side view:

Is that prototype actually usable/your daily driver? And can we get a front view? Does it also have keys for mouse functions?

cookie

31 Jul 2014, 14:11

I wish it had a split spacebar so that I could access a different layer with my left thumb.
Would be an instant buy I think... Well I have to build my own I guess.
But I am still tempted, don't get me wrong! The results are verry promising!

lowpoly

31 Jul 2014, 15:14

Split spacebar won't be possible for now because the key switches and stabs would occupy the same space as the mouse switches.

The touch controller is supposed to deliver this (detect which thumb pressed the space bar) but no test results yet. I hope for August but there are many other things to do.

ION, I ordered the first cnc-milled case a couple of days ago. It will take about 6 weeks (I'm on a waiting list).

Thion

01 Aug 2014, 10:48

Hi lowpoly,

what type of "mouse" switches will you use?
Is there a possibility for a middle mouse button?

lowpoly

01 Aug 2014, 23:16

Mouse switches: currently one of these here:
http://www.mouser.de/Search/Refine.aspx ... ewSearch=1

A middle mouse button would kill the design :twisted: but both mouse buttons are part of the matrix (= programmable) so you can put middle click on the right button if you need it all the time or use for ex. one of the keys in the lower right. Fn + right button should work too, which would probably be the best solution.

Thion

04 Aug 2014, 15:32

Well, the functionality for using both buttons to simulate a middle click is both in windows and linux, so that shouldn't be an issue.

7bit

04 Aug 2014, 15:50

Sorry, but this is an issue!

But: If you need 3 buttons, all you need to do is waiting for the HyperMicro and qHack keyboards.
:-)

mSSM

04 Aug 2014, 17:05

7bit wrote: Sorry, but this is an issue!

But: If you need 3 buttons, all you need to do is waiting for the HyperMicro and qHack keyboards.
:-)
Well, I am getting more and more used to Shift+Insert instead of middle-click. But a third mouse button would certainly be nice to have.

7bit: get on that qHack. Nobody needs 40% keyboards without Trackpoints!!! :evilgeek:

lowpoly

04 Aug 2014, 20:21

For what do you use the middle mouse button extensively? 3D software would be an example but for that I have the mouse anyway (I use the TP more for convenience).

scottc

04 Aug 2014, 20:26

I use it quite often too. These are my most used:

Middle click + trackpoint drag = scroll.
Middle click on a link in a browser = open in new tab.
Middle click on a tab in a browser = close tab.

Muirium
µ

04 Aug 2014, 20:32

I did a bunch of that with extra buttons, back in the pre-multitouch days. Power users like power!

lowpoly

04 Aug 2014, 21:00

scottc wrote: I use it quite often too. These are my most used:

Middle click + trackpoint drag = scroll.
Middle click on a link in a browser = open in new tab.
Middle click on a tab in a browser = close tab.
Yep, I use these too with the mouse, except scroll which I do with ScrollbarAnywhere in Firefox which uses the right mouse button.

Press2Scroll is there too.

Middle click could be put on stick tap if necessary (leaving dragging). But I still don't think that having the middle mouse button on Fn+right is an inconvenience or issue. A lot of important keys on a 60% are on the Fn layer. I see the middle one (as the least used of the three mouse buttons) in the same league.

You'd also lose the switch position for Filco spacebars, middle of the keycap.

Also, it wouldn't fit. The current button mechanics, specifically the axis support, would use the same space as the Cherry position spacebar switch.

suka
frobiac

05 Aug 2014, 08:23

I agree that when there are any extra dedicated mouse buttons, there should be 3. But since I assume the board will be fully programmable this should not matter at all, as I made very good experiences with all mouse buttons conditionally mapped to the left hands homerow (or right hands regular thumb keys), active with a small delay whenever you touch the trackpoint.

Never thought I could get used to that setup coming from several years of thinkpad usage, but actually it seems like a much saner way to do it on a custom board, and also is easier to design.

mSSM

05 Aug 2014, 12:04

lowpoly wrote: For what do you use the middle mouse button extensively? 3D software would be an example but for that I have the mouse anyway (I use the TP more for convenience).
Well, on Linux (specifically, on Xorg, the standard Linux display server), if you visually select text for example with your mouse, it is automatically copied to a “Selection Clipboard” (called primary and not to be confused with the clipboard to which text is copied when I explicitly request it; that would be Ctrl_c on windows). From this Selection Clipboard you can paste either with Shift_Insert or with the 3rd (i.e. Middle) Mousebutton. I would estimate that I use this function at least once an hour.

I am aware that this is rather specific to my use case. While I would love a 3rd mouse button, I can live with Fn+Mousebutton_2 just fine. :-)

It will definitely not stop me from jumping on that keyboard once you finally (finally!!!) make a groupbuy out of it. How long, lowpoly, HOW LONG?!?!

lowpoly

05 Aug 2014, 20:10

mSSM wrote: How long, lowpoly, HOW LONG?!?!
Prototype case milling in 5 weeks, 1 week manufacturing and shipping, couple of days for powder coating... If I manage to do the rest in the meantime I can start taking photos in about 6 weeks. Photos are needed for the pre-crowdfunding campaign (about another two months). Then campaign and manufacturing.

We soldered some switches to the pcb and it starts to look like a product. 8-)

Edit: thanks for the middle mouse button comment (suka too).

runeazn

27 Aug 2014, 19:32

Wow it look gorgeous, I'm interested how it's to finalize. If it's cheaper then the hhkb I'll be considering this keyboard. Great work lowpoly

lowpoly

15 Sep 2014, 15:51

^^^ Thanks!

Quick update pic:

Working so far. Still a lot to sort out, hardware and software. Next pcb revision is in the works.

Haven't heard of the case guy yet.
Last edited by lowpoly on 01 Jun 2018, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

lumogas

16 Oct 2014, 15:50

Looking good. No chance of a hint of a date when the keyboard might become available?
And does the Ducky Mini worry you?

lowpoly

16 Oct 2014, 20:31

Still going through pcb revisions. Until the major parts are working there will be no "date".

Ducky mini worry: why? Mouse keys only go so far (maybe I misunderstood the concept).

Daniel Beardsmore

16 Oct 2014, 22:14

Who knows, we may even get ISO one day …

cookie

17 Oct 2014, 10:22

Looking actually really good! I am asking myself right now if the caps will be ABS or PBT?

lowpoly

17 Oct 2014, 17:52

ISO is already in the switch pcb.

The caps in the pic are Keycool pcb caps IIRC. But I couldn't find an OEM and Keycool didn't answer my mail.

So far it looks like ABS/doubleshot.

lumogas

19 Oct 2014, 20:14

Really? That's a pity. PBT keycaps seem like a given on a customizable keyboard...

lowpoly

20 Oct 2014, 08:37

What has the material to do with the programmability?

cookie

21 Oct 2014, 11:19

Actually nothing but this would add some value to the whole product. From what I can tell, if you once typed on good PBT, you are pretty much done with ABS. The good thing is the standard layout you are using, getting aftermarket caps will be as easy for a poker.

Keep it up!

lowpoly

22 Oct 2014, 19:41

Is there a certain PBT hype right now? Because it's been around for a long time. Actually, this is PBT too, ooooold pic:

But only lately people seem to prefer it. What happened?

Anyway, last time I tried (some months ago and not _that_ hard) I couldn't find a manufacturer at a good price. Nothing on alibaba and Keycool didn't answer. And Doubleshot PBTs are just about to surface, correct me if I'm wrong.

Muirium
µ

22 Oct 2014, 20:01

Yup, doubleshot PBT is emerging right now. Vortex makes them. Give them time and maybe the legends won't be such a nightmare!

PBT is indeed ancient. All those classic IBM Model Fs and Ms have thin PBT caps. Perhaps what's entering a craze right now is thick PBT? Some old boards have them, and they are among the best in my opinion. Depends on the PBT's surface texture. Rough PBT is especially nice when it's got some weight behind it. Dyesub those bad boys and you've got something great!

Return to “Workshop”