Model F controllers

xwhatsit

07 May 2014, 06:45

And here is the v0.6 source/schematics release (why 0.6? Because we already had five previous beamspring-only releases. Combined project now).

I will work on getting binaries when possible.
Attachments
util_0.6.png
util_0.6.png (53.23 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
ibm-capsense-usb_0.6.tar.gz
(495.8 KiB) Downloaded 102 times

xwhatsit

09 May 2014, 04:43

And here is v0.6.1.

This fixes a reasonably major issue on Windows 7 64bit (I think?) which had major issues with the two keyboard descriptors (the fake padding of the boot-mode 6-key only interface was freaking it out and causing the NKRO descriptor to get sent STALLs).

There was also a major bug in the GUI util which prevented 8-row keyboards (Model Fs and Beamspring Displaywriters) from displaying their top four rows of scancodes on layers 1–3.

There was also a minor padding bug in the descriptor for the NKRO interface with the addition of the LEDs; neither Linux or Mac OS X cared, but it really annoyed Windows.

I've also got binaries compiled on Windows and Mac OS X, along with pre-compiled hex files for all the variants so far.

As always, use the old version of the util to put the keyboard into the bootloader first, then flash the keyboard. Afterwards, use the new version of the util to talk to it. Make sure you pick the right hex file to match your board type and revision!

You can download them all here: http://linode.cornall.co/ibm-capsense-usb/0.6.1/
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-05-09 at 2.04.43 pm.png
Screen Shot 2014-05-09 at 2.04.43 pm.png (153.02 KiB) Viewed 1847 times

Muirium
µ

09 May 2014, 18:04

xwhatsit wrote:As always, use the old version of the util to put the keyboard into the bootloader first, then flash the keyboard. Afterwards, use the new version of the util to talk to it. Make sure you pick the right hex file to match your board type and revision!
Which version should I use once the prototype arrives?

xwhatsit

10 May 2014, 05:20

Might as well flash to the latest version. I don't think there was any issue on Mac OS X, Windows was just not quite sticking to spec (how unusual), but it will rule out any other issues.

Oh did you mean which hex file? The one named ibm_capsense_usb_model-f_rev1_0.6.1.hex .

I don't think there's Atmel FLIP for OS X, so you'll have to get your hands dirty at the terminal with dfu-programmer. I found this with a search: http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/DFUProgramming8U2 . Dirty old Arduino stuff but it's reasonably clear. Ignore all the stuff about System Profiler and resetting with a bit of wire, just click `Enter Bootloader' with the GUI util, then type the following:

Code: Select all

sudo dfu-programmer atmega32u2 erase
sudo dfu-programmer atmega32u2 flash <name of hex file>
sudo dfu-programmer atmega32u2 reset

Muirium
µ

10 May 2014, 10:55

Thanks. I think I meant which version of the GUI app, but if it's just to trigger firmware update mode, I doubt it makes any difference!

Game Theory
Mr. Despair

10 May 2014, 14:49

Think its always the newest.Right now its ibm-capsense-usb-util_0.6.1

Muirium
µ

11 May 2014, 01:51

nginx/1.6.0 wrote:403 Forbidden
On the .dmg file for the Mac version of your utility, by the way. Lets me download the others fine, though.

xwhatsit

11 May 2014, 01:56

Oh I see—yes, in your case your board will be pre-flashed with 0.6.0. I never uploaded a Mac OS X version 0.6.0 of the util, so just use 0.6.1 as there are no breaks in compatibility between GUI util and firmware.

I think I will standardise on a versioning scheme where if the version number is major.minor.revision, if it's only a revision change there will be compatibility maintained with the util and firmware.

Sorry about the 403! Permissions mistake (OS X is UNIX too, don't lose all the flags like with WIndows :)). Try again now.

Muirium
µ

11 May 2014, 02:06

Works a charm, thanks!

Next thing I need to do is desolder my Kishsaver's controller and check for those helpful shorts in the matrix…

Return to “Workshop”