Programming a Tipro board on-the-fly like a Cherry G80-2100

kbdfr
The Tiproman

11 Jun 2011, 23:41

[Prelude]
Even if this function seems not to be documented, it is possible to program a Tipro keyboard on-the-fly like you do a G80-2100.

[Explanation]
When programming a Cherry G80-2100, the key sequence entered is active in whatever application you are. If, for example, being in Word you decide to program a key with "Shift+RightArrow Ctrl+B", then the keystrokes will be programmed into the selected programmable key and at the same time the character right of the cursor will be formatted as bold because that’s exactly what you entered.

When programming a Tipro keyboard using the Tipro software "ChangeMe", the key sequence entered is not active. It is just entered in the programme without effecting anything else, so programming happens "blind" and is of course prone to error. Any mistake will not be noticed until after the new configuration has been uploaded into the keyboard and the key is pressed, making it necessary to repeat the whole procedure.

[How to]
For a Tipro keyboard to be able to be programmed exactly like a Cherry G80-2100, i.e. while actually doing what you are programming, it is necessary that in the Preferences > Scan line the first option ("Scanline records and does not block keyboard input") is checked.

Select the key you want to program, activate the desired layer by clicking into the corresponding "Scanline". It will change its colour to blue. From now on, any keyboard input will be registered, even if you change to another application. So use the mouse for any action you do not want to be registered.

Return to (let’s say) Word using the mouse and enter the keystrokes you want to program. Taking the previous example, the character right of the cursor will be formatted as bold, so you can see no mistake was made when programming.

[Hint added] The keyboard will output the programmed sequence "in a go", so some keypresses in it could be skipped if the computer is too busy or needs time (e.g. to open a certain window). To avoid this, you can insert delays (100 ms/1s, or any sequence of both) while programming. In order to do that, using the mouse return to ChangeMe, click the corresponding icon in the upper left-hand corner of the programming window, and then return to the application you are programming into. You can then revert to the keyboard and resume programming. [End of addition]

When finished, return to the Tipro software, again using the mouse because the "Scanline" is still active. The keyboard input has been registered and appears there (in Tipro programming format). Click OK, done.

[Planned]
It is also possible to load the actual content of an existing Tipro keyboard into the software even if that point of the Keyboard menu is greyed and thus inactive. One solution is a workaround, the other one is another well-hidden functionality to make the menu active.
Last edited by kbdfr on 07 Nov 2016, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.

CeeSA

11 Jun 2011, 23:54

ah, wonderful howto, thank you

Spharx

21 Jun 2011, 00:17

Well since I decided that this is from now one the one and only glorious Tipro Workshop thread I am sharing my little bit of knowledge:

So you want to program a F24 button without having a device with such a button ?
No Problem !

Open ChangeMe, click on a desired button, select in the menu Scanline HID indexies and Scanmode input.
Now type in something into the desired layer. You should now see the HID key Code.
Switch the in the Scanline menu to Text input mode and replace the old hex code to your desired hex code.
The F24 Button has the key code 73.

Other (german layout) Codes:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

Nr | HID | Symbol
0	  0	
1	  1 	Hid$1
2	  2	Hid$2
3	  3	Hid$3
4	  4	a
5	  5	b
6	  6	c
7	  7	d
8	  8	e
9	  9	f
10	 A	g
11	 B	h
12	 C	i
13	 D	j
14	 E	k
15	 F	l
16	10	m
17	11	n
18	12	o
19	13	p
20	14	q
21	15	r
22	16	s
23	17	t
24	18	u
25	19	v
26	1A	w
27	1B	x
28	1C	z
29	1D	y
30	1E	1
31	1F	2
32	20	3
33	21	4
34	22	5
35	23	6
36	24	7
37	25	8
38	26	9
39	27	0
40	28	Enter
41	29	Esc
42	2A	BS
43	2B	Tab
44	2C	Space 
45	2D	ß
46	2E	´´
47	2F	ü
48	30	+
49	31	#
50	32	<
51	33	ö
52	34	ä
53	35	^^
54	36	,
55	37	.
56	38	-
57	39	Feststell
58	3A	f1
59	3B	f2
60	3C	f3
61	3D	f4
62	3E	f5
63	3F	f6
64	40	f7
65	41	f8
66	42	f9
67	43	f10
68	44	f11
69	45	f12
70	46	druck
71	47	Roll
72	48	Pause
73	49	Einfüg
74	4A	Pos1
75	4B	BildAuf
76	4C	Entf
77	4D	ende
78	4E	BildAb
79	4F	cur rechts
80	50	cur links
81	51	cur unten
82	52	cur oben
83	53	num
84	54	/ (Block)
85	55	* (Block)
86	56	- (Block)
87	57	+ (Block)
88	58	Enter (Block)
89	59	1 (Block)
90	5A	2 (Block)
91	5B	3 (Block)
92	5C	4 (Block)
93	5D	5 (Block)
94	5E	6 (Block)
95	5F	7 (Block)
96	60	8 (Block)
97	61	9 (Block)
98	62	0 (Block)
99	63	, (Block)
100	64	<
101	65	Contextmenu
102	66	Hid$66
103	67	Hid$67
104	68	f13
105	69	f14
106	6A	f15
107	6B	f16
108	6C	f17
109	6D	f18
110	6E	f19
111	6F	f20
112	70	f21
113	71	f22
114	72	f23
115	73	f24
116	74	Hid$74
117	75	Hid$75
118	76	Hid$76
119	77	Hid$77
120	78	Hid$78
121	79	Hid$79
122	7A	Hid$7A
123	7B	Hid$7B
124	7C	Hid$7C
125	7D	Hid$7D
126	7E	Hid$7E
127	7F	Hid$7F
128	80	Hid$80
129	81	Hid$81
130	82	Hid$82
131	83	Hid$83
132	84	Hid$84
133	85	Hid$85
134	E0	Lstrg
135	E1	Lshift
136	E2	Lalt
137	E3	Lwin
138	E4	Rstrg
139	E5	Rshift
140	E6	Ralt
141	E7	Rwin

CeeSA

03 Aug 2011, 15:22

i have a todo.

i would like to transfer programmed keys between layouts.

This is atm the only way i know:
-
open the source layout
copy the key
open the target layout
(the software close the source layout automatically - arrgghhh)
paste the key
-
for the next key the same....
that is annoying

There is a workaround?

Spharx

03 Aug 2011, 15:38

If you mean that you want to copy through the layers than there are hidden functions that might help you a little bit:
press ctrl & backspace. Now additional options should be enabled and visible.
Extended Tools -> Copy layers. With this menu you are able to copy a whole layer into another.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

03 Aug 2011, 15:41

Spharx wrote:If you mean that you want to copy through the layers than there are hidden functions that might help you a little bit:
press ctrl & backspace. Now additional options should be enabled and visible.
Extended Tools -> Copy layers. With this menu you are able to copy a whole layer into another.
I had just been checking that, but it appears that it does not allow to swap layers from one keyboard layout to another because the layer is not saved anywhere.

I'll just try something else now.

7bit

03 Aug 2011, 15:47

Is anyone of you up to a linux solution?

I really don't like to reactivate an old 386 (or what is needed) to do the programming ....

CeeSA

03 Aug 2011, 15:48

windows boot cd?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

03 Aug 2011, 15:49

I knew I had read something about exporting complete key modules to another keyboard in the Tipro help. Just type "export" there and you'll find it. :mrgreen:
A very versatile way to export whole blocks of keys.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

03 Aug 2011, 16:01

And if you find it difficult to handle the export file format for transferring just single keys, there is an easy way:
- make an export file for your complete keyboard,
- open the keyboard you want to transfer selected keys to,
- choose Desktop -> Add module in the menu and add the same module type you want to transfer the keys from,
- import the file to that module,
- transfer the keys you need from the added module to the one you want to modify (no need to close and open modules any more),
- when finished, choose Desktop -> Delete module from the menu and delete the module you had added.

Sounds complicated - is easy :mrgreen:

CeeSA

03 Aug 2011, 16:16

that sounds good - thx

7bit

03 Aug 2011, 19:29

CeeSA wrote:that sounds good - thx
I think I'll try out wine today.
:P
update: OK, I've wine installed.

Now which DOS program do I need for the FREE modules (not FREE+ etc.)?
:cry:

The Tipro people might be perfect engineers, but software wise they are super lame!

ChangeMe does not install even if I choose "C:\" as installation path :-(
:roll:

:idea: Is it possible to reset the whole thing such that every key just delivers one distinctive keycode?
:P

CeeSA

04 Aug 2011, 11:10

i think wine is not the right way.
the software scans the ps/2 port, i don't think that wine could be so near to hardware.

with the Software ChangeMe it is possible to reset a board to default:
press ctrl & backspace - see above

Change me Software:
- operating system:
Windows 7 (32 and 64-bit*)
Windows Vista
Windows XP
Windows 2000
- USB driver is WHQL certified by Microsoft

Versions:
ChangeMe 5.7.7
LabelMe 1.2.3
API 4.2.3.0

----------
but i have a different question:
[UMLAUTE]
if i put 'ö' in the second Layer i don't be able to get an upper case 'Ö'
shift + L2 + o - did not produce 'Ö' only 'ö'
any suggestions

kbdfr
The Tiproman

04 Aug 2011, 12:28

CeeSA wrote: [UMLAUTE]
if i put 'ö' in the second Layer i don't be able to get an upper case 'Ö'
shift + L2 + o - did not produce 'Ö' only 'ö'
any suggestions
I think there is a workaround, but the software says it won't work with a controller version prior to 4.00.00 (check version with Keyboard -> Info).

CeeSA

04 Aug 2011, 22:22

03.02.03 :(
i have to test all my tipro boards controller version...

7bit

15 Aug 2011, 17:33

I've tried to program my Tipro keyboard but it does not work the way I've hoped.
What I found out so far is that keycodes must be entered as custom keycodes. It appears to be scancode set 2 which must be entered in decemal which is super lame!

Also, I've not foul;d out how to make sure the keyboard transmitts more than 2 bytes (example: 0xe0 0x23 0xe0 0xa3 gives only 0xe0 0x23).

Also,
- Changeme.exe crashes from time to time and
- it is not possible to hotplug the Tipro to PS/2.
:roll:
ps: helpful link: http://www.quadibloc.com/comp/scan.htm

sixty
Gasbag Guru

15 Aug 2011, 17:35

I can hotplug my Tipro board just fine!

7bit

15 Aug 2011, 19:11

sixty wrote:I can hotplug my Tipro board just fine!
Problem:
- It is plugged to PS/2 on my Linux box.
- I plug it out and plug it to the Windows box.
- If I'm luky, the (Windows) system did not crash in the way that the other keyboard, connected via USB, doesn't work anymore ...
- Now I program the Tipro with the ChangeMe.exe.
- For testing, I plug it to the Linux box again, but the system does not register any keypresses, so I've got to reboot the system ...

But this is only a minor problem. The real problem is how to tell the Tipro to send codes starting with 0xE0.

Does anybody exist who successfully programmed a Tipro with 122 keys or more?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

15 Aug 2011, 20:19

7bit wrote:I've tried to program my Tipro keyboard but it does not work the way I've hoped.
What I found out so far is that keycodes must be entered as custom keycodes. It appears to be scancode set 2 which must be entered in decemal which is super lame!

Also, I've not foul;d out how to make sure the keyboard transmitts more than 2 bytes (example: 0xe0 0x23 0xe0 0xa3 gives only 0xe0 0x23).(...)
I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you're talking about. You can enter keystrokes directly or, if your keyboard happens to miss a key you want to program, Spharx has written a tutorial earlier in this thread:
http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=813&p#p15273

7bit wrote:
sixty wrote:I can hotplug my Tipro board just fine!
Problem:
(...)
But this is only a minor problem. The real problem is how to tell the Tipro to send codes starting with 0xE0.

Does anybody exist who successfully programmed a Tipro with 122 keys or more?
My setting (320 keys!) has remained basically the same since I posted this picture:

but I have changed the layout quite a lot, and everything I have programmed and/or reprogrammed has always worked just fine. Hotplugging is common practice here too, since I use different other Tipro keyboards in addition (i.e. chained with my monster) and first have to program them according to the given task, which requires them to be directly connected to the computer.

Practical question: what exactly do you want to program?

Spharx

15 Aug 2011, 20:23

Maybe you should send Tipro a massage about your problem.

I have messaged them about a documentation of all debug functions (maybe there is a solution for your problem in there) in the ChangeMe software ... it looks like that you could somehow write into the eeprom .. well their replay was this:

"Debug menu in ChangeMe is called debug because it is not supposed to be
used by the customers in normal circumstances. This is also the reason why
it is not described in details in the help information.
If he describes what he needs we can send him instructions how to do it. We
can not send detailed info about all the functions in Debug menu."

7bit

15 Aug 2011, 20:36

kbdfr wrote:I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you're talking about. You can enter keystrokes directly or, if your keyboard happens to miss a key you want to program, Spharx has written a tutorial earlier in this thread:
http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=813&p#p15273
Keystrokes are useless, because I've got more keys on the Tipro as even on the 122 key 3270 emulator. Also, I'm not sure if it works properly with windows. However, I can give it a try. But how do I program the other keys (e.g. Numpad)?
kbdfr wrote:
7bit wrote:Does anybody exist who successfully programmed a Tipro with 122 keys or more?
My setting (320 keys!) has remained basically the same since I posted this picture:

[huge blurry picture of a monster keyboard]

but I have changed the layout quite a lot, and everything I have programmed and/or reprogrammed has always worked just fine. Hotplugging is common practice here too, since I use different other Tipro keyboards in addition (i.e. chained with my monster) and first have to program them according to the given task, which requires them to be directly connected to the computer.

Practical question: what exactly do you want to program?
Just to make every key send distinctive keycodes.

How do you make 320 keys work? I would be glad if I could just make the 122 keys work the main-keyboard has ...

Do you've got a layoutfile, so I can see a sample?

Related problem: Are these extra keys under Caps Lock and Return accessible or are they just dummies? They look like soldered in properly, but the software says they don't exist as separate keys.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

15 Aug 2011, 21:19

7bit wrote:(...) But how do I program the other keys (e.g. Numpad)?
I assume your Tipro is connected to your computer and you have another, "normal" keyboard plugged into the Tipro.
In the ChangeMe software, left-click the key you want to program, activate programming of the layer you wish with a left klick (the line turns blue) and then press the Numpad key of the chained keyboard. The programming line now displays the key you have programmed. That's all, you now just have to click OK in the ChangeMe software.
7bit wrote:
kbdfr wrote: [huge blurry picture of a monster keyboard]
:lol:
7bit wrote:
kbdfr wrote:Practical question: what exactly do you want to program?
Just to make every key send distinctive keycodes.

How do you make 320 keys work? I would be glad if I could just make the 122 keys work the main-keyboard has ...

Do you've got a layoutfile, so I can see a sample?

Related problem: Are these extra keys under Caps Lock and Return accessible or are they just dummies? They look like soldered in properly, but the software says they don't exist as separate keys.
I can't send you a file of my keyboard since my programming contains some (own and third party) confidential items, but I can send you a file containing special things you want to program if you tell me exactly what you want.

Which keyboard do you have? My Caps Lock has no extra key under it, just one. The only "dead" key I have (in the staggered keyboard MID-QM128A) is the second one from the right on the home row. It just has no spring in it and is originally used as a stabilizer for the (ANSI) Enter key (which activates the one immediately on the left of it). I have "keycap-modded" to ISO and use that dead key as a stabilizer as well, the active one being the top one under the key.

7bit

15 Aug 2011, 21:35

kbdfr wrote:
7bit wrote:(...) But how do I program the other keys (e.g. Numpad)?
I assume your Tipro is connected to your computer and you have another, "normal" keyboard plugged into the Tipro.
In the ChangeMe software, left-click the ... OK in the ChangeMe software.
No, the other keyboard is connected via USB.

I know how to enter key codes. This is not the problem.

The problem is, when I enter codes like:
0xe0 0x5d 0xe0 0xdd ("$E0,$5D,$E0,$DD" actually)
The keyboard just sends: 0xe0 0x5d
kbdfr wrote: I can't send you a file of my keyboard since my programming contains some (own and third party) confidential items, but I can send you a file containing special things you want to program if you tell me exactly what you want.

Which keyboard do you have? My Caps Lock has no extra key under it, just one. The only "dead" key I have (in the staggered keyboard MID-QM128A) is the second one from the right on the home row. It just has no spring in it and is originally used as a stabilizer for the (ANSI) Enter key (which activates the one immediately on the left of it). I have "keycap-modded" to ISO and use that dead key as a stabilizer as well, the active one being the top one under the key.
All keys have springs and look soldered into the matrix. I thought it might be a software issue.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

16 Aug 2011, 13:48

7bit wrote:The problem is, when I enter codes like:
I have programmed a key with the keycode you mentioned ($E0,$5D,$E0,$DD), which apparently is the "Windows Menu" keycode, and it works fine. I would suggest that you try programming by just pressing the "Windows Menu" key in the "keyboard" instead of the "custom codes" interface mode.
Again, what exactly do you want to program? Not the codes, but the desired result.

And which model is your keyboard? I found nothing about a Tipro with 122 keys.

7bit

16 Aug 2011, 21:31

kbdfr wrote:
7bit wrote:The problem is, when I enter codes like:
I have programmed a key with the keycode you mentioned ($E0,$5D,$E0,$DD), which apparently is the "Windows Menu" keycode, and it works fine. I would suggest that you try programming by just pressing the "Windows Menu" key in the "keyboard" instead of the "custom codes" interface mode.
Again, what exactly do you want to program? Not the codes, but the desired result.

And which model is your keyboard? I found nothing about a Tipro with 122 keys.
I just want to program it to deliver distinctive keycodes, so I can use the keys. When I use the USB codes some codes (above 0x68) don't have any effect and if I use the custom codes, it delivers only the make codes but no break codes which results in X11 thinking I permanently press the key.

I've also tried codes like
$15,$F015
with the keyboard sending only $15.

Number of switches in my Tipro:
16*5+15*2+12 == 122
I will look for a picture to see what model it is. I don't have it at home.

BTW: Which distribution do you use?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

17 Aug 2011, 13:15

Just tested those and got the expected results:
  • $E0,$2B - Windows calculator opens
  • $12,$33,$F0,$12,$43,$29,$2B,$44,$4B,$42,$1B - writes Hi folks (make and break codes for capital H included)
My keyboard is a MID, yours a TMC (found your picture), but I rather doubt your problem has anything to do with that. Try programming your code sequences on one of (hüstel, hüstel) your 8x4 MID keyboards, then we'll know.
And perhaps you should try a higher interbyte delay (Preferences -> Keyboard settings).

Minskleip

17 Aug 2011, 15:26

My MID Tipro is not recognised by Changeme. What am I doing wrong?

More info: it's a 8x4 module from 7bit, and it lights up and beeps when palm pressing.

Or am I supposed to use a "tipro cabel" instead of ps2?

kbdfr
The Tiproman

17 Aug 2011, 15:48

(stolen picture)

Make your own Tipro cable using a male/male PS/2 cable: carefully and completely remove the small plastic tongue between the pins on one end of the cable. The plug will now fit into the 8-pin socket of the keyboard (right side of the above picture, left side of course when sitting in front of the keyboard), connect the other end of the cable with the PS/2 socket of your computer, that's it.
The other socket of the Tipro keyboard is where you plug your "normal" keyboard into.

Spharx

17 Aug 2011, 15:53

Nope the Tipro cable is a normal PS/2 cable with to much useless pins. A normal PS/2 cable is also doing the job.

(kbdfr was faster :) )

You are only able to hotswap the big modules (at least at my system).
Try this: shut down your PC completely (to be sure interrupt the power supply) put the module in the PC and than restart.
I had the same problem once :lol:

Minskleip

17 Aug 2011, 16:07

Alright, thanks! I'll try the right port hehe.

Are other Tipro modules supposed to be connected from their tipro-port to the ps-2 port on the next device in the chain?

Return to “Workshop”